Who is #2 now?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
USC definitely #1 (I gave up on that game in the third quarter)
#2 Auburn? From where I was sitting they were outplayed by VA Tech (1 dropped TD and a missed FG)
Does Oklahoma drop to 3 or 4 b/c of the loss?
What about an undefeated Utah? A team that should feel insulted by having to play Pitt.

1 USC
2 Auburn
3 Oklahoma
4 Utah

SmallTown

Football season!
I was ready to let auburn have the number 2 spot until I heard tuberville (sp?!) whining like a little girl after the Sugar Bowl saying his team was the best out there and there was no way USC or oklahoma were better than they are. They are a good team, no doubt about it. If they wanted to make a statement, they should have done what USC did int he orange bowl. Winning because the opposing team's fullback can't catch a pass right in his hands and their field goal kicker missed a gimmie hardly makes you the "dominant" team in the country.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Playing teams like The Citadel and Louisiana-Monroe does not help Auburn's cause for the claim of No. 1.

SmallTown

Football season!
kom526 said:
Playing teams like The Citadel and Louisiana-Monroe does not help Auburn's cause for the claim of No. 1.
there is just no way the AP puts auburn #1. Not after what USC just did. Auburn will just try again next year.

One last little tidbit, and talk about ironic. Last night tubby said auburn was the best team, and would gladly play either usc or oklahoma any day to show everybody just how good they are. This coming from the same school that CANCELLED and 1-1 series with VT because they said with their SEC schedule, they didn't want difficult out of conference games. :loser:

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
kom526 said:

I agree with what you said, but by the BCS computers, Auburn had the 9th roughest schedule in the NCAA.
I do believe though that Auburn should be happy that they are able to cry that they are number one with there undefeated season, rather than be humiliated by USC and suffer the loss. After last night, I don't think Auburn would of survived the 1st half of the game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There are several HUGE jokes...

...in major sports. These jokes are also sad because they need not be.

Anything judged by the French and Russians: Ice skating, UN resolutions.

Gymnastics

Boxing

Div 1 College football.

Ice skating, well, it's ice skating. The soap opera fits it. Personally, I think the WWF way, Tonya Hardings way, is a neat twist on settling competitons.

Gymnastics somehow doesn't seem to have the big controveries, at least not the women. Mens gymnastics, like intimate relations with chickens, should be against the law.

Boxing should be banned. You are GUARANTEED to be mentally damaged everytime you strap it on. UFC on the other hand is actually way more safer for the competitors and a much better test.

That leaves us with Div 1.

Basketball, no one can deny, is as fair as it can get, 64 teams. Everyone with a chance, and then some, gets in. The winner has to win six in a row. Yes, you're voted in, polled in, but the system is broad enough to acceptable by the vast majority of colleges, fans, coaches and writers, aka, the 'interested parties'.

The problem is that in basketball a #16 has a decent shot of winning it all. In football, #16 doesn't have as good a chance against the top 5 or so.

Basketball also plays upwards of 30 games and very few major injuries affording many more opportunities to settle it on the court leading up to the tournament, thus the polls are a very good guage.

Another thorn is that, in basketball, conferences matter. The ACC might send 8 teams this year with those 8 having lost a game here and there to conference opponents who didn't get in. Remember Jimmy V and his NC State hero's?

In football, say the ACC, you've got Tech, Miami and Florida State. They are 'there' year after year. Then there is NC State, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Clemson and Maryland. Then Wake, Duke, Carolina. That's 3 major year in and out competitors, 5 more that usually are top 25 and only 3 hopeless causes. Tech has recently won a national title, Maryland was fairly close a few years ago and Virginia is knocking on the door as is State. Clemson has been top 10 in the not to distant past.

ACC= 3 instantly recognizable top teams and 5 top 25-ish teams.

SEC: Tennessee, Auburn, Florida and LSU are recent major players. How can we leave out Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas and now South Carolina with Spurrier coming on board? That's 8 more.

I'm not sure how Maryland would fare against Kentucky.

Big 12: Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas and Texas Tech and A&M. Can't leave out Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma State and one or the other of the Kansas schools pops in and out, it seems, of the national picture all the time. That's 8 or 9 more.

Pac10: USC, UCLA, Cal, both Oregon and Washington schools tend to get in the mix, same with Arizona and you can't leave out Stanford. You could call that all 10.

Big 10: Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa. Can't leave out Penn State or Illinois. Perdue has been good as has Mich State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Then there's Marshall, Boise State, Louisville, Boston College, Utah, Fresno State and hell, Navy is top 25 this year.

How about West Virginia? Pitt? Northern Illinois? Bowling Green. Toledo? UTEP? Wyoming? Hawaii? Even Connecticut? They all received at least a few top 25 votes.

Oh yeah. Did I forget the other team from Indiana? Notre Dame.

I'd argue there are about 48 names on there that can be considered as in the business of fielding top teams year after year. And some of the best games every year are something like the Alabama/Auburn game even when one is having a down year. In a tournament, Auburn probably wouldn't want ot have to face 'Bama in an early round.

So, what about a poll fielded tournament, say the top 32? The winner and runner up play 5 games.

Everbody can keep their normal conferneces which would give a decent ranking picture.

Create a 'Super Conference' so that each of the 40-50 schools that persue big time football are members in that they may be considered for the top 32, pay a fee to be members and only get ranking points by playing each other for their non conference games.

Perhaps reduce scholarships by 10 increasing the talent pool.

Eliminate conference championships.

Keep your season down to 8-10 games.

Viola.

Viola?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry, you're exactly right that Division I football is a sad joke. Divisions II and III have good playoff setups. Several sportswriters have pointed out the real problem with Division I -- the conferences see no reason to change because the archaic bowl system keeps them fat and happy.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
From the rule books:

The Division II Football Championship provides for a maximum field of 24
teams. Eight first-round games will be conducted on the campus of one of the
competing institutions. The top two seeds in each region will receive a bye in
the first round of the playoffs.

The winners of the first-round games in each region will advance to play
one of the teams that received a bye in their region in the second round, on
the campus of one of the competing institutions. The winners will meet in the
quarterfinals on the campus of one of the competing institutions. Quarterfinal
winners advance to play in the semifinals on the campus of one of the
competing institutions.

The (Division III) championship provides for a maximum field of 28 teams. The 28 teams will be placed in four competition brackets each consisting of seven teams. The committee will attempt, but cannot guarantee, to award the first-round byes to the highest seeded team in each bracket.

Geographic proximity, however, takes precedence over seed. The remaining
teams will be geographically paired, whenever possible, with winners
advancing to the second round. Play will continue in quarterfinal, semifinal
and final competition. The first four rounds will be played on the campus
of one of the competing institutions or at an alternate site approved by the
Division III Football Committee. The final will be played in Salem, Virginia.