Who is being protected with judgment like this?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I'm drawing this post from information within the Charles County Crime Report on 15 July. Here is the summary of important bits:
10 July: Marcus and Michael Milstead assaulted a man in Waldorf (twice).
11 July: Marcus Milstead was assaulted a few blocks away from the previous incident. Several people committed the act against him and used a knife.
12 July: Shots were fired near the same residence as that on the 10th. Officers gathered that one of the accused was involved and driving a green Cadillac.
13 July: Warrants were issued for Marcus and Michael Milstead for multiple assault charges.
13 July: An officer spotted a green Cadillac and pulled it over. Marcus Milstead was driving. He was arrested; subsequent search found Ecstasy in the vehicle. He was transported to the CCDC but was ultimately released on personal recognizance.

How can this be? This dude is known to be a key suspect in an escalating wave of violence and they simply slap him on the hand and let him go? Is there anyone in the CC legal system that can resolve this ridiculous inconsistency to me?

I've never wanted to carry a gun for defense, but I'm beginning to see the rationale. If the legal system doesn't protect us (not speaking of the police here, but the judges) our land is the "wild west" again. :sad:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Woe betide the officer(s) or district attorney that brings grounds for a discrimination suit against Chuck E. County.

K

Kizzy

The jail is overcrowed.

:ohwell: And I am not pulling that information out of my ass either. It is the worst I've ever seen it. The judge has to decide who is not so much of a threat. The person listed above is also under the supervision of a P.O. so that pushes the problem on them and not so much out in society blindly. I don't like it, but the jail is overcrowded, so you cannot fight crime without the proper resources and in a county like Charles where the criminal population is growing there are more and more criminals on the street that got slaps on the wrist and placed on supervised probation.

It is so bad in fact that when the judge orders jail time, it is scheduled to be served a month or months from now, leaving them out to roam in society (supervised of course) until it is time.

I agree that many criminals are out and about when they shouldn't be, but I really think the judges need to consider the tracking devices (home detention) as an alternative more often. IMO

hvp05

Kizzy said:
The jail is overcrowed. {snip...}

I agree that many criminals are out and about when they shouldn't be, but I really think the judges need to consider the tracking devices (home detention) as an alternative more often. IMO
I considered the overcrowding while writing the post, because I know it to be true. But I would think they would have or make the room to hold someone involved in bona fide violence. I guess it's worse than I thought. So when is the Southern Maryland Prison coming to town?

I'm no expert on the tracking devices either, but I would think the police would need a special sector to handle the devices and people they're attached to. That way they could locate anyone at any time, especially if someone leaves their home and sets off an alert.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
How 'bout a good strong tree, a noose, and a crowd of crime victims to help make it happen?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Babs Mikulski would frown on that solution, doncha know?

I'm all for bringing back the Devil's Island solution. Let the animals try to govern themselves on an island that houses 1,000 with provisions enough for 100.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Kizzy said:
I agree. Prison space is costly, so I would reserve prison for violent offenders. Although I would probably get some personal satisfaction at seeing Bernard Ebbers do hard time, I think home detention would probably be the best option for him. (Also, he should forfeit all his billions and have to live on a "Would you like fries with that" job.)

Last edited:

hvp05

Railroad said:
How 'bout a good strong tree, a noose, and a crowd of crime victims to help make it happen?
It might just work. I'll bring the refreshments! :snacks: :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Railroad said:
Fine with me. The excuse of prison overcrowding is maddening. Okay, when the prisons get full, this is some other criminal's lucky day?

This is why we have so much crime in this country - because criminals don't get punished. Which reminds me of the incident Christy's sister had with her neighbors, that just sent me through the roof with the injustice of it all.

hvp05

vraiblonde said:
Fine with me. The excuse of prison overcrowding is maddening. Okay, when the prisons get full, this is some other criminal's lucky day?

This is why we have so much crime in this country - because criminals don't get punished. Which reminds me of the incident Christy's sister had with her neighbors, that just sent me through the roof with the injustice of it all.
Exactly. What is additionally maddening is that Chuck County politicians have had their arms wide open to bring in all these new people without considering all the necessities. Sure, we've got new businesses, housing developments sprouting like dandelions... but the justice system is only adequate to our status a decade ago?!

Is it all about profit or is there more?

If you can't sufficiently maintain your community's entire infrastructure it doesn't matter how much "growth" you have, your community will suck. Big time.

[Back to longing for New England...]