Who remembers their old telephone exchange name?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Growing up for me it was PLymouth. Not sure when they ditched that naming convention.

All the old TV & movies used the non existent KLondike. Now it's 555 for the fake phone numbers.

Tech

Growing up for me it was PLymouth. Not sure when they ditched that naming convention.

All the old TV & movies used the non existent KLondike. Now it's 555 for the fake phone numbers.
Madison here. Noticed the new touch phone exchanges were not given names. At the time the old exchanges were not compatible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not old enough to remember exchange names associated with telephone numbers. I think I was in Jr. High when I first heard that was a thing outside of old movies set in NYC. My friend and I spent hours trying to figure out what each prefix of all the telephone numbers in Lincoln might stand for.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

At grandma's house through the 90's 5 digit dialing .....

Patton PA, small town phones ... here were doing 7 until the mandatory area code usage
then you could not tell if you were dialing local or local long distance

DogWhisperer

Jenny's number was 867-5309 that's all they provide from the song.

What is the age or regional, year when they stopped naming the lines? I don't remember it and I was born in "58.