Whoops Women Paid More in Soccer

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Four U.S. women’s players—Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe and Becky Sauerbrunn—each earned a total of $1.1 million- $1.2 million for their national-team play between March 30, 2014, and Sept. 30, 2019, according to U.S. Soccer’s filings.

By comparison, the income of the single men’s national team player who earned the most in the aggregate during the 2014-19 period was $993,967, according to U.S. Soccer.

The women’s filings countered that each of the four women’s players named in U.S. Soccer’s filings would have earned at least $2.5 million more over nearly six years if they had achieved their team’s same results under the U.S. men’s team’s compensation policy.

In a declaration for the court, Becca Roux, executive director of the U.S. women’s players’ association, summarized the U.S. women’s greater tallies of games and victories and how they translated to pay. From Jan. 1, 2017-October 7, 2019, the U.S. women won 83% of their games while the men won 48% of their games. The women played 58 matches while the men played 44, the declaration says.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-wo...-filings-show-pay-for-top-players-11570465837

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Federal Judge Dismisses U.S. Women's Soccer Team's Equal Pay Claim

In dismissing the women's claim that they are paid less for the same work, Klausner pointed to differences in the structure of the men's and women's contracts — contracts to which they agreed in collective bargaining.

"The WNT [Women's National Team] rejected an offer to be paid under the same pay-to-play structure as the MNT [Men's National Team] and ... the WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for other benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players," Klausner wrote. "Accordingly, Plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA worse than the MNT CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT's pay-to-play structure when they themselves rejected such a structure."

The judge said the women's contract guarantees players will be paid regardless of whether they play. The men are paid if they are called into camp to play and then participate in a match. On this point, Klausner said, the plaintiff's statements "were insufficient to establish a genuine dispute."

After Klausner's ruling Friday, Levinson promised that the women "will appeal and press on."

"We have learned that there are tremendous obstacles to change," she said. "We know that it takes bravery and courage and perseverance to stand up to them."

Smokey1

They agreed to their salary arrangements and now don't like the outcome. Too bad, next time negotiate a better contract and don't try to falsely claim pay discrimination because its not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
they still WILL NOT get paid as much as Men's Soccer Players ........ that draws in MORE Ad Revenue

herb749

If the team falls off after a few years and becomes average or below, are they willing to take a pay cut .?

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
U.S. Women’s Soccer Denied Immediate Appeal Over Equal Pay Claims That Were Thrown Out In Court

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner ruled in May that the women’s team had not proven their pay discrimination claims, finding that they actually turned down the very equal pay structure they now demand, The Daily Wire previously reported.

“The WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players,” Klausner wrote. “Accordingly, plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA (collective bargaining agreement) worse than the MNT (men’s national team) CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT’s pay-to-play terms structure when they themselves rejected such a structure.”

Klausner did, however, uphold the team’s claims that they were treated unfairly by the U.S. Soccer Federation in terms of perks, as less money was spent on their commercial airfare, hotels, medical services, and training than men’s soccer. Klausner also dismissed a claim from the women’s team that they were discriminated against because they played more games on artificial turf.

After Klausner’s ruling, the women’s team asked him to enter a final judgement so they could appeal the case to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco and delay a trial that previously was set for June 16. The Associated Press has now reported that Klausner has denied the team’s request that would allow them to immediately appeal his decision. He has now scheduled the trial for their discriminatory working conditions claim for September 15.

DaSDGuy

How abut a real world example that non-soccer players can relate to:

I contract to build a deck on your house for a certain amount of money. After it's built, I find out the normal rate of payment is 50% more than I contacted for. Do I have the right to sue the homeowner for more money so I get paid the same as the other builders?
Not likely. What would happen is that for further contracts I raise my rates to be similar to my competition.

That is their solution. Play out the current contract and raise the rates on the new contract.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
U.S. Women’s Soccer Players Refused The Same Pay Structure As Men. Now They’re Claiming ‘Sexism’ Led To Difference.

In reality, as The Daily Wire previously reported, U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner dismissed the women’s pay discrimination claim because they had rejected to be paid using the same structure as the men’s team.

“The WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players,” Klausner wrote in his ruling. “Accordingly, plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA (collective bargaining agreement) worse than the MNT (men’s national team) CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT’s pay-to-play terms structure when they themselves rejected such a structure.”

At the same time Klausner rejected the pay discrimination claim, he allowed the women’s team’s claims about discriminatory work conditions to continue. At the time the ruling was handed down, the women’s soccer team vowed to appeal.

“Equal pay means paying women players the same rate for winning a game as men get paid. The argument that women are paid enough if they make close to the same amount as men while winning more than twice as often is not equal pay,” USWNT spokeswoman Molly Levinson said in a statement at the time.

SamSpade

What would pay be like if it were linked to the amount of money the team brings in, in sales and merchandise?

One of the things I still see is, in COLLEGE - almost all sports programs are supported entirely by proceeds from the bigger better paying sports like football and basketball. I think it was once posted on HERE - universities across the nation, the money brought in by each program - and the fact that people do not pay much to see the sports that football and basketball support.

Ditto professional sports. Do you pay big bucks to see men box? How about men OR women to drive cars in NASCAR?
Do you even KNOW someone who's PAID to see a women's soccer game, much less gone, yourself? It's not sexism - people aren't sexist because they don't pay money to watch women play.

BOP

What would pay be like if it were linked to the amount of money the team brings in, in sales and merchandise?

One of the things I still see is, in COLLEGE - almost all sports programs are supported entirely by proceeds from the bigger better paying sports like football and basketball. I think it was once posted on HERE - universities across the nation, the money brought in by each program - and the fact that people do not pay much to see the sports that football and basketball support.

Ditto professional sports. Do you pay big bucks to see men box? How about men OR women to drive cars in NASCAR?
Do you even KNOW someone who's PAID to see a women's soccer game, much less gone, yourself? It's not sexism - people aren't sexist because they don't pay money to watch women play.
Remember the mantra, Sam: "It's sexism if we say it's sexism."

Clem72

How abut a real world example that non-soccer players can relate to:

I contract to build a deck on your house for a certain amount of money. After it's built, I find out the normal rate of payment is 50% more than I contacted for. Do I have the right to sue the homeowner for more money so I get paid the same as the other builders?
Not likely. What would happen is that for further contracts I raise my rates to be similar to my competition.

That is their solution. Play out the current contract and raise the rates on the new contract.

That's not their situation. They contracted for a base pay per day regardless of if they work or not, while those receiving the "normal rate of payment" is only for working days. Salary vs Hourly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Appeals Pay Discrimination Ruling That Found They REJECTED Same Pay Structure As Men’s Team

The U.S. women’s national soccer team has finally admitted that they are paid the same if not more than the U.S. men’s national team but are still arguing they don’t receive equal pay because, they claim, they have “to work more than a man and be much more successful” to receive “about the same pay.”

The Hill reported that the women’s team has appealed the May 2020 decision of Judge Gary Klausner, who dismissed the team’s claims that they were discriminated against because of their gender on the issue of pay. As The Daily Wire reported at the time, Klausner noted that the women’s team rejected the same pay structure that the men’s team uses.

“The WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players,” Klausner wrote in his ruling. “Accordingly, plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA (collective bargaining agreement) worse than the MNT (men’s national team) CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT’s pay-to-play terms structure when they themselves rejected such a structure.”

[clip]

Molly Levinson, spokeswoman for the players, told CNN: “If a woman has to work more than a man and be much more successful than him to earn about the same pay, that is decidedly not equal pay and it violates the law.”

“And yet, that is exactly what the women players on the US National team do — they play more games and achieve better results in order to be paid about the same amount as the men’s national team players per game. By any measure, that is not equal pay, and it violates federal law,” Levinson added.

:shocking: