Why a Reporter Suggested That Fox News be Stripped of Its First Amendment Protections. It's Eye-Roll Worthy.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Take Julia Ioffe of GQ Magazine who thinks Fox News should lose its constitutionally protected free speech right because their coverage is akin to yelling fire in a crowded room. I’m not kidding. Our friends at Twitchy posted about it. Glenn Greenwald, a liberal reporter who was pushed out of the publication he founded because he wanted to run a story critical of Joe Biden last year, called her out. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Greenwald is no conservative but will call out anyone seeking to shred civil liberties, and he noted the perverse nature of this coming from a reporter.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was unaware that GQ was still around. Who remembers when it was a men's magazine?

BOP

Take Julia Ioffe of GQ Magazine who thinks Fox News should lose its constitutionally protected free speech right because their coverage is akin to yelling fire in a crowded room. I’m not kidding. Our friends at Twitchy posted about it. Glenn Greenwald, a liberal reporter who was pushed out of the publication he founded because he wanted to run a story critical of Joe Biden last year, called her out. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Greenwald is no conservative but will call out anyone seeking to shred civil liberties, and he noted the perverse nature of this coming from a reporter.

I guess nobody told the silly twit that that whole "fire in a crowded theater" thing (Schenck v. United States). had been at least partially overturned - meaning that it severely restricts so-called banned speech (Brandenburg v. Ohio in 1969).

Basically, it's a piss-poor analogy and doesn't make the case for banning most kinds of speech.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Liberal Attorney's Odd Notion That the First Amendment May Not Apply to Fox

Bottom line? Kim may have odd notions about the Constitution and the First Amendment, but the First Amendment most definitely applies to Fox News. There’s nothing that would justify not according them such protections. Kim didn’t provide any justification or case law to support his position. The greater underlying problem here with Kim as well as Ioffe is that they, who think they know better, think they get to determine or say, who should have First Amendment protections. But that’s exactly why you have the First Amendment. Because it’s about protecting the offensive speech, the minority speech, the speech that the majority would like to crush.

Beyond that, if we want to talk about a “propaganda machine,” I’m thinking Kim may be looking at the wrong network. CNN and MSNBC have lived on propaganda for the past four years and now they’re dying with crashing ratings because they no longer have the focal point to attack with their lies, President Donald Trump.

But there are a lot of folks on the left who think that they should get to limit what Fox says. It’s a dangerous anti-speech posture, all the more troubling because it’s coming from folks who are in media who should be condemning such a call are often leading it.

:cds:

I don't like what Fox News Reports they are LIARS That need shut down