Why allegations of a ‘coup’ against Trump are unfounded

transporter

...an explanation for the monumentally stupid and/or tin foil hat crowd:

Why allegations of a ‘coup’ against Trump are unfounded

First of all, removing a president from office using systems included in the Constitution is, by definition, not a coup. Removing Trump from office by following the guidelines of the 25th Amendment would no more be a coup than removing him from office through impeachment or, really, than voting for another candidate in 2020. It’s part of the system.

But, second, it’s not as though Rosenstein could simply have stepped up to a microphone and announced that the president was no longer president, any more than Michael Scott’s declaration of bankruptcy in “The Office” was sufficient for that task.

We’ve outlined this before. For a president to be removed from office under the mechanism included in the amendment, one of two things has to happen.
  • A majority of the Cabinet and Vice President Pence must agree that Trump is unfit for office, or
  • Pence and a commission established by Congress (which doesn’t currently exist) would have to reach a similar agreement.
If such an agreement is met, a letter is sent to Congress and Trump is out.

That, by itself, gives the lie to Bongino’s lazy allegation. If Rosenstein asked half the Cabinet and Pence to oust Trump and they agreed, it’s hard to see how the culpable party was Rosenstein. These are people chosen by Trump! His removal would be on their hands.

But what’s more, Trump would have a mechanism to respond. He could simply send a letter to Congress saying that he is fit for office, and he is then reinstated. Some coup.

If, however, Pence and the Cabinet members still think Trump is unfit, the question would go to Congress, where two-thirds majorities in each chamber would have to agree. So that’s half the Cabinet, the vice president and scores of lawmakers who would ultimately need to declare that Trump should be removed from office before it could happen. (At the time of Comey’s firing, that hurdle was much higher, with Republicans in control of both chambers of Congress.)

You understand this yet, spitbubble????

If not, the actual article does have pictures.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
So now following the constitution is stupid?
No. This is a case of getting caught with "hands in the cookie jar" and then trying to explain it all away by hiding behind the Constitution.

Frankly, this whole series of events (with the likes of Brennan, Clapper, the three stooges at the FBI, Susan Rice, Sally Yates, etc.) is sickening. These people are not patriots, they are contemptible scum.

They don't "like" Trump? So effing what. "Like" is irrelevant. And them trying to frame "Orangeman bad; we don't like" as "Trump is doing illegal things, ergo..." is the epitome of egotistical hubris & BS.

These scum forgot what "We, The People" actually means. (Hint: it's us, the people of this nation; not them, the Elites.)

They are pigs; the pigs of Animal Farm. Pigs better off heading to the butcher (read, "jail for a long, long time"), if I had my way.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Midnightrider

No. This is a case of getting caught with "hands in the cookie jar" and then trying to explain it all away by hiding behind the Constitution.

Frankly, this whole series of events (with the likes of Brennan, Clapper, the three stooges at the FBI, Susan Rice, Sally Yates, etc.) is sickening. These people are not patriots, they are contemptible scum.

They don't "like" Trump? So effing what. "Like" is irrelevant." And them trying to frame "Orangeman bad; we don't like" as "Trump is doing illegal things, ergo..." is the epitome of egotistical hubris & BS.

These scum forgot what "We, The People" actually means. (Hint: it's us, the people of this nation; not them, the Elites.)

They are pigs; the pigs of Animal Farm. Pigs better off heading to the butcher, if I had my way.

--- End of line (MCP)
Who got caught? Mccabe wrote a book about it. That’s the opposite of getting caught.

Yooper

Who got caught? Mccabe wrote a book about it. That’s the opposite of getting caught.
Yup. He did.

But that book would never have gotten written had they not gotten caught/exposed. McCabe wouldn't have needed to; he'd still be busy doing whatever corrupt little gnomes do to continue eating from the public trough.

His book is not about bringing anything to light; it's a preemptive attempt at a defense.

--- End of line (MCP)

Midnightrider

Yup. He did.

But that book would never have gotten written had they not gotten caught/exposed. McCabe wouldn't have needed to; he'd still be busy doing whatever corrupt little gnomes do to continue eating from the public trough.

His book is not about bringing anything to light; it's a preemptive attempt at a defense.

--- End of line (MCP)
I must have missed the part where he was charged....

Midnightrider

Please note the word, "preemptive."

--- End of line (MCP)
And since Barr was just confirmed those charges should come any day, right?

Also, since Barr is allegedly a standup guy, if he does not prosecute McCabe and Rosenstein that will mean they committed no crime :yay:

Yooper

And since Barr was just confirmed those charges should come any day, right?

Also, since Barr is allegedly a standup guy, if he does not prosecute McCabe and Rosenstein that will mean they committed no crime :yay:
Am making no such prediction. Merely stating that McCabe knows he could potentially be in deep manure and as such is taking steps to mitigate (if events not helpful to his cause come to pass).

--- End of line (MCP)

This_person

So now following the constitution is stupid?
Perhaps you and your MPD Tranny don't get it: There's no reason to invoke the 25th, so an attempt to do so is like locking up an opponent when no crime was committed. Attempting to abuse the constitution, not follow the constitution, is the coup. It's really pretty simple - so simple I anticipated even you would get it. Clearly, I was wrong - I overestimated your abilities.

But, how do I know there's no good reason to invoke the 25th? Virtually no one would. Even the people who hate Trump didn't think it rose to any level close to invoking the 25th. So, trying to do so as a subordinate to the Cabinet level, when the Cabinet members won't do it - that's a coup attempt.