Why are Jeeps so expensive?

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I don't know much about vehicles, in searching around for a Jeep it seems they are very expensive even with upwards of 100k miles on them. I was wondering, do Jeeps last longer than most vehicles? Does anyone own a Jeep or have owned a Jeep that can give me some advice? Is it unwise to buy a Jeep with alot of miles on it? Thanks for any help! :howdy:

bcp

In My Opinion
I don't know much about vehicles, in searching around for a Jeep it seems they are very expensive even with upwards of 100k miles on them. I was wondering, do Jeeps last longer than most vehicles? Does anyone own a Jeep or have owned a Jeep that can give me some advice? Is it unwise to buy a Jeep with alot of miles on it? Thanks for any help! :howdy:

I had a 98 grand cherokee that I bought new, sold it some years later with 160k on it still running and looking like new.
problems with them back there were bad differentials, they would whine really loud, the a/c would go out ever 40k or so (i think they used re manufactured parts to make them.) and the door switches when out once

If you're talking wrangler, the nice thing about them is that every part on them can be bought from a catalog, so once you have the title and VIN#, you can rebuild it forever. You can also customize / modify to your heart's content with lift kits, engine changes, etc.

bobbyb

We have an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 72k it looks and runs like new. We have not even had to replace the brake pads yet. Had the brakes checked this Spring and they are still in good shape. My son has an '06 Grand Cherokee he finally had his brake pad replaced at 92k it looks and runs great as well. His first Cherokee a '97was stolen and wrecked, it was a work of off-road art. We were all bummed out about that one. My other son just sold his 97 Wrangler, he needed a family car, so sad. All of our Jeeps have been fun to drive, very reliable and they hold their resale value.

E

EmptyTimCup

I don't know much about vehicles, in searching around for a Jeep it seems they are very expensive even with upwards of 100k miles on them. I was wondering, do Jeeps last longer than most vehicles?

with regular oil changes, the 4.0 Inline 6 will go 2 to 300,000 miles easy

Cherokee XJ's and Wrangler YJ's are popular to modify for a better off road experience

Grand Wagoneers [SJ series] are apparently popular as well

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
If you're talking wrangler, the nice thing about them is that every part on them can be bought from a catalog, so once you have the title and VIN#, you can rebuild it forever. You can also customize / modify to your heart's content with lift kits, engine changes, etc.

That's right. I had a Wrangler for a while, absolutely loved it. Bought it in NY in a snowstorm and the salesman told me to test drive it up a snowbank. :killingme :yahoo: Lots of options to modify it to make it even more fun. I also had a couple of Commanders, which I loved as well. Mom has a Liberty and has had no issues whatsoever.

Like others have said, they hold their value well. I miss my Jeeps. The only thing I don't miss is the gas mileage.

bcp

In My Opinion
with regular oil changes, the 4.0 Inline 6 will go 2 to 300,000 miles easy

Cherokee XJ's and Wrangler YJ's are popular to modify for a better off road experience

Grand Wagoneers [SJ series] are apparently popular as well

Had the 4.0 in the 92 sport, it was ok, then when I bought the 98 Grand, we had the 5.9 in that one.. no issue to speak of when accelerating onto the highway. :killingme

DEEKAYPEE8569

As the other forumites said, Jeeps are fairly dependable/maintenance-free; but if you do have to replace a part; more than likely, it's gonna be a dealer only-type item.

I am only saying this because I have a '97 Chrysler and pretty much everything I've had to repair/replace has been a dealer item.
I suspect Jeeps to be pretty much the same way.

E

EmptyTimCup

As the other forumites said, Jeeps are fairly dependable/maintenance-free; but if you do have to replace a part; more than likely, it's gonna be a dealer only-type item.

I am only saying this because I have a '97 Chrysler and pretty much everything I've had to repair/replace has been a dealer item.
I suspect Jeeps to be pretty much the same way.

well mine is an 86 and a 67 ........... :whistle:

nomoney

I LOVE my wrangler!! Taking the doors and top off - nothing beats it! Not sure what you mean by expensive; they're pretty much in line with other vehicles. Paid 23k for mine, 2010 - fully loaded 4 door.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I LOVE my wrangler!! Taking the doors and top off - nothing beats it! Not sure what you mean by expensive; they're pretty much in line with other vehicles. Paid 23k for mine, 2010 - fully loaded 4 door.

Who?.....Me?
I never said anything anything being "expensive"; although.....dealer items usually are a tad higher priced.