Why did you....

Why did you file your marriage with the state?

• What??? There was a choice??? I thought you had to.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Tax benefits/administrative burden eased (wills, etc.)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • The government is my religious figure

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I didn't, I don't want no stinking G-Man knowing my business

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other...(I'll explain with a post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This_person

Recently, during one of the hundreds of "gay marriage" threads and discussions, someone made the point that they did not get married because of tax benefits.

I agree, most people do not marry for tax benefits - they marry the person they love because they love them and want to demonstrate their commitment before their religious figure, their family, their friends, etc.

But, why did they ask the government to get involved? Why file this personal, intimate, private information with the state?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Married by a Justice of the Peace. Not much choice there. But married because we decided we wanted to spend our lives together.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If you don't go through all of the paperwork and legalities, you haven't made that much of a committment.

This_person

If you don't go through all of the paperwork and legalities, you haven't made that much of a committment.

That's an intersting thought.

If a hypothetical you found out your marriage certificate wasn't valid for some technicality (think Rob and Laura Petrie), would it change your view on your commitment to your hypothetical spouse?

winters

If a hypothetical you found out your marriage certificate wasn't valid for some technicality (think Rob and Laura Petrie), would it change your view on your commitment to your hypothetical spouse?

Why do you look to argue? This is a stupid pole.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
To answer your question TP - I'm old school. I believe that a commitment, whether spiritually or legally, shows that I'm in for the long haul.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Nope, because in my mind I know I've checked all of the blocks, whether someone further down line screws up I don't control.

This_person

Nope, because in my mind I know I've checked all of the blocks, whether someone further down line screws up I don't control.

But, the act of checking the blocks makes it a difference? I'm not suggesting for you, personally, but your thoughts in general.

LadyWolf

I understand. I've never been legally married, but when I had a significant person in my life, I was committed to them as if I were married. From a legal perspective, you have more ground to stand on when things go down the toilet. When your not "legally" married, you can each take your things and go your separate ways w/o much hassle..unless you've bought a house or share mutual accounts, etc, then you could have a whole new can of worms! I lived w/someone years ago. He decided that I wasn't the person for him and found someone else. We both had names on a lease. I moved out because I couldn't afford to stay there on my own. I had to continue to pay until the woman he found moved in and helped pay the remaining rent for the next few months. It sucked for me, but it still didn't change the emotional, just perhaps the financial.