why do people vote democrat ?

SamSpade

Knowing many over my adult lifetime, and having BEEN a former Democrat, I can think of many :

1. One is - habit. Admit it, if you're Republican, you've cast votes for Republicans without really checking them out.

2. Another is - no choice. In the District or in Massachusetts, for example, the GOP is so very weak it sometimes - actually OFTEN - doesn't bother to even field a candidate at all. Your only choices at all occur in the primary. So you might as well register as Democrat, because the primary winner WILL win.

3. From MY personal reasons - until some time back - the Republicans by and large preserve the way things are. They're NOT innovative. They're at best reactionary. They would not have started a space program like we did in the 60's. Sometimes, LACK of innovation is good - right now, the Green New Deal is "innovative" but it also portends to be a massive, wasteful, corrupt boondoggle, because you can't promote a technology the public isn't interested in embracing. They LOVE smartphones - solar, not so much.

4. The press. You and I know it, but the press out there is EXTREMELY biased against the right, and every survey or metric used to measure bias has amply demonstrated this, repeatedly. Journalists are possbily the highest percent left-leaning of any demographic you can conjure. The press is still saying Trump colluded with Russians, that Hunter Biden is a victim or Russian misinformation, Sicknick was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher and there's no problem at the border or in Afghanistan.

5. Social media and pop culture. There actually does exist a portion of the population that pays so very little to what goes on in the world that they take at face value whatever the pop culture puts out there. Oddly enough, these aren't always dumb people - they just don't scrutinize the information. They don't want to.

6. Lastly - this one I don't know. Stigma? Perception that they are ALWAYS the "bad guys"? The whole "Walkaway" movement was born from the idea that the Dems DO NOT want to help you. Because they haven't been doing it. They pay lip service during elections, but at best toss bones to the constituents they keep in fear of Republicans.

Me - I think it is ridiculous to think one side is ALWAYS THE BAD GUYS. But the problem is largely, NATIONAL party politics. I was watching Justin Amash on This Week - (I still despise the guy) - but he mentioned that he was either surprised or bothered by the fact that he was sent to DC to represent his consttuents, but the PARTY makes sure you ignore that - and support the PARTY.

See, I am not in love with the GOP - they're part of the problem, too. The problem isn't that the OTHER guy is bad - the problem is, there's a strata of people running things that fight with each other over dominance - but none of them want to UNDO the power they all share. It's like decidiing which prison guard you favor while they wrangle over who gets to beat your ass or screw you. As Carlin once noted, you tend to favor the person you think will screw you less.

Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had lunch with my NY friends Sunday. He's a staunch Democrat, I'm Republican, so we specifically avoid politics to keep our 60+ year relationships on good terms.

During the lunch, she said , "I like Biden." and he went off on a 'trump bad' sidebar. I said nothing, but SO wanted to ask him why Biden is such a good president, what has he done for us and what specifically was bad about Trump? But again, didn't want to ruin the relationship, so just swallowed it and changed the subject.

Oh, forgot the point... They are both very intelligent, level-headed, "do it right or don't do it" kind of people, and I just can't fathom why they follow Democratic, right down to the Covid masking. It just makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
4. The press. You and I know it, but the press out there is EXTREMELY biased against the right,

I think ' the press' some 70% or higher democrats ...

I'd 50% are Authoritarian ' lock up ' Trump Supporters / Anti-Vaxxers

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But again, didn't want to ruin the relationship, so just swallowed it and changed the subject.

And yet your friend clearly had no such inclination. She spewed her political rhetoric without a single thought how it might cause conflict with you.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few years - how I'd try to keep away from topics that will cause conflict with my Marxist ****tard Democrat friends ( :jet: ), and yet they have no such inclination. They'll jump right on my FB page and start railing and throwing insults, with absolutely no regard for me, their friend.

So now I don't do it anymore. Even people in casual encounters, neighbor on the street or something. If they bring it up, obviously they don't care if they offend me, so now I don't care if I offend them and will happily shun them as they deserve. **** them.

Hijinx

I try to avoid it with people I know, but if they bring it up I lower the boom on them.
Most know better than to bring up their sht with me , and try to avoid it also.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm a pacifist at heart, and a terrible debater, and know even tho I'm in the right, I'd get trounced in any discussions, so I don't pursue it.

Kinnakeet

And yet your friend clearly had no such inclination. She spewed her political rhetoric without a single thought how it might cause conflict with you.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few years - how I'd try to keep away from topics that will cause conflict with my Marxist ****tard Democrat friends ( :jet: ), and yet they have no such inclination. They'll jump right on my FB page and start railing and throwing insults, with absolutely no regard for me, their friend.

So now I don't do it anymore. Even people in casual encounters, neighbor on the street or something. If they bring it up, obviously they don't care if they offend me, so now I don't care if I offend them and will happily shun them as they deserve. **** them.
Same here I will get loud in a crowd if I feel the need to say something about the demorats

SamSpade

That's me in a nutshell. Truth is, SOMETIMES on an issue, I have doubts about what I think or believe, or which side I prefer to choose - and really, the best way in the world to make me choose the OPPOSITE side of an issue is for someone to come in, guns blazing without any regard for civility and curse and insult those who do not share their enlightened opinion. It usually reassures me which side is more in line with what I think is right.

Even though both sides of an issue always have such people, the last thing I want to be is ANOTHER shrill voice spilling insults and be bereft of logic and facts. When a "friend" shows no regard for me and immediately regards me as some kind of racist or a buffoon, they no longer have my attention or respect. You cannot gain anything by arguing with such people - but you can ignore them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's me in a nutshell. Truth is, SOMETIMES on an issue, I have doubts about what I think or believe, or which side I prefer to choose - and really, the best way in the world to make me choose the OPPOSITE side of an issue is for someone to come in, guns blazing without any regard for civility and curse and insult those who do not share their enlightened opinion. It usually reassures me which side is more in line with what I think is right.

See, and I'm not swayed by that. I separate what they're saying with how they're saying it. The most civilized charming Marxist will not convince me that they're right, just like the most uncivil expletive spewing Trump devotee won't convince me I'm wrong. People have their communication styles, and it has little influence on what I think and believe. That's why I'm typically offended by the carefully crafted speech designed to manipulate, and more impressed with those who speak their mind without a bunch of rigamarole (even if I don't agree with them).

But I am in the distinct minority in that regard. I do understand that most people are influenced by style and facade, which doesn't make that a bad thing, it just is. It's what humans do. I'm the weirdo, not them.

warneckutz

2322782618be098c7320867ee9616bba.jpg

True Story.

SamSpade

See, and I'm not swayed by that. I separate what they're saying with how they're saying it. The most civilized charming Marxist will not convince me that they're right, just like the most uncivil expletive spewing Trump devotee won't convince me I'm wrong.

They probably won't persuade me either - it's almost a given though if they're an ass about it, I won't be persuaded at all.

I do often have an opinion about something already - and shrill jerks tend to make me less likely to challenge what I think already, not because I am swayed by behavior, but that I already think I am right, and THEIR side is filled with *******s. I tend to think that *******s normally pick the wrong side.

I did once have a long discussion with a guy I used to work with who was raised in Vietnam. He was my passenger in a long ride back from camping in Pennsylvania. He had a decidedly Communist viewpoint to everything and no, I wasn't persuaded - but he did help me TRY to understand how lefties think. His point of view was that the government has watched over me, protected me, cared for me and provided for me all my life - and I had a moral duty to return the favor.

NOT unlike the way you might have -or should feel - towards your parents. Or perhaps, the neighborhood you grew up in. They've earned your respect and when it's time for them to need you, you should give back. You OWE THEM.

I explained that I do have a duty and responsbility to my nation - but not to the government. My nation are my fellow Americans, and I protect THEM, and look out for THEM. THEY helped me. The government just wanted my money, and politicians wanted my vote. Do you feel loyalty to your fellow church goers - or to the preacher? To your co-workers - or the CEO?

We of course did not agree. Part of the discussion arose from where an inheritance should go to - one I leave or one I get - and his strong belief was that every dime of it is owed to the government, without which none of it could have been earned. Sound familiar?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You didn't build that.

Bammy had an excellent point when he said that, he just negated it by directing it at conservatives and not his own people as well. Also his delivery was bombastic and self-righteous. I'm not sure you can accuse an entire nation of selfishness when you yourself are as self-absorbed as the day is long and had an enormous team of people who got you where you are. If anyone knows about not earning or building something, it's Barry - and yet he lacks the self-awareness to understand that.

But getting past his laughable egocentrism and ham-handed communication style when not reading from a script, he was right - you didn't build that. At least not single-handedly.

So I do understand people who don't care for Trump's communication style; I just don't agree with them.