Why do we care about statues?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I care about Mount Rushmore, but only because it's awesome. Most statues dotted around cities, I walk past without even looking at them. 99% of the people depicted, I don't even know who they are.

Like wax museums - why is this interesting and why do people go look at these things?

If these nut groups pulled down statues and the news didn't report it, would we even realize it happened?

On some level I might care because I realize that it's someone's artwork, but then I remember that artists are typically hard Left and the people who created the statues would probably be cheering on the destruction.

So that's a real question: why do we care? And what's with our human need to build monuments to people?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If ancient asshats, like our mondern day Democrats, had destroyed all the statues and monuments in rome or greece, how much less would we know about them now?

Last edited:

Auntie Biache'

I like history. I enjoy reading about it, and seeing the artifacts/statues. It's part of something that I take pleasure from. It doesn't matter if it was good, or bad, history-it's history. Many statues don't even look like the people they depict, but I have an appreciation for the art.

That said, I'd like to see the Georgia Guidestones removed. They don't represent history. The represent somebodies vision of what they'd like their future to look like.

GregV814

Ummmmmm try to lessen the physical structure of, oh, I don’t know, MLK Jr., maybe Frederick Douglas, whom most in that social group Don’t know, John Brown... hell, do they know old Abraham Lincoln actually freed the indentured servants???!!!

Lump

I would say most people don't care about the statues, but what the removal of the statues implies, which is erasing history. And I believe that the ones tearing them down feel it will make them feel better, it won't. It just symbolic of the power that the mob has at the moment.

Rommey

Most people don't really care, know, or understand why at one point in time, we (society) cared enough to memorialize someone or something. Should some of these statute have been erected? Maybe not, but applying 2020 society standards to 1920 society thinking is not really fair. I wonder if the people tearing down statues would think about a statute erected today only to see it torn down by the standards of 2120 society.

If today's standards deem a memorial should be removed, the process to remove it should not be done through mob-rule.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, once you start tearing down statues, whos next? Like burning books, it's a slippery slope. I could see them trying to take down the Statue of Liberty because of the "false promise" she represents. I can see the manifesto now.... "Bring us you WHITE huddled masses!!!! Thats what it stood for!!!!!" Francis Scott Key and U. S. Grant both made invaluable contributions toward the ldeals that should be intrinsic to who we are as a nation. We have and should bring more freedom into being. And we should spit into the eye of those who would remove freedom from the world. Those men understood it, no matter what they did before or after. The folks who think a guy who beat his girlfriend into a miscarrige so he wouldn't have to pay child support should not be judged after his sentence is served want to judge men 200 years dead and gone, Screw them, most of you are not fit to empty these mens chamber pots.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I care because statues, like art, are (potentially) divisive things and as such act like culture war trip wires. How these (potentially) divisive things are handled is a good indicator as to what comes next.

In this respect, @awpitt's meme is absolutely correct.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
You really missed what the tearing down of that statue signaled.

I don't want to lose a nation to a bunch of psuedo-commie shitbags.
I'm NOT saying the statue toppling back then is the same as the statue toppling today in the sense that the causes are equally valid/legitimate. The former was legit, the latter is not.

My point is that when this type of activity starts, something big generally follows. That's all.

So no, I didn't miss what that 1776 event signaled. It signaled revolution. Something I would have supported then. But like you, I ain't interested in either supporting or losing to these anarchists today.

--- End of line (MCP)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm NOT saying the statue toppling back then is the same as the statue toppling today in the sense that the causes are equally valid/legitimate. The former was legit, the latter is not.

My point is that when this type of activity starts something big generally follows. That's all.

So no , I didn't miss what that 1776 event signaled. It signaled revolution. Something I would have supported then. But like you, I ain't interested in either supporting or losing to these anarchists today.

--- End of line (MCP)
I actually was directing that to mr pitt.

Louise

that statue was hauled down and turned into musket balls for the rebels. At least it was destroyed for a good cause not because it was offensive to some snowflake

:patriot:

Edit: Wanted to say that you have the best forum name, ever, in the history of this forum. :lol:

Last edited: