Why does this keep happening?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My friend Louis calls himself an American, though he is a Black man.
His parents went to Africa for their honeymoon, and were treated as Americans.
No one there considered them "African" because they did not know who their ancestral tribe/s were.

Clem72

If that dude "has incredible mental anguish" over this issue, he should take it up with his mammy that named him something that when spoken with African American vernacular and heard over a drive-through PA system probably sounded an awful lot like "Monkeys".

And if I ran a fast-food I would definitely record the drive-through PA. What's 12 hours at 128kbit/sec, like 100MB. So you could record almost an entire year on a 32GB flash card that costs $10.

wubbles

“The sheer hurt of seeing that word takes me back to a painful history, one where my ancestors endured the same dehumanizing racism that was meant to strip away their dignity. The fact that such a vile slur was used so casually in this day and age is a stark reminder that the trauma of those times is still very much alive.”

I was really expecting something especially cruel but it just turns out it was an honest mistake. Professional victims come in all shapes, colors and sizes. This straight up reads like satire to the point I had to check if this was a parody website.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Sounds like a professional victim wanting a big payout to me. I can't speak from any point of view but my own, but 90% of the names I see in police blotters, a picture isn't needed to know their ethnicity. IDK what their mothers were thinking when they tagged them with such idiotic names, but more power to them.

I once overheard a young black girl tell her mother that if she ever has a baby boy, she's going to name him Mufasa. I just can't imagine branding an innocent baby like that.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Sounds like a professional victim wanting a big payout to me. I can't speak from any point of view but my own, but 90% of the names I see in police blotters, a picture isn't needed to know their ethnicity. IDK what their mothers were thinking when they tagged them with such idiotic names, but more power to them.

I once overheard a young black girl tell her mother that if she ever has a baby boy, she's going to name him Mufasa. I just can't imagine branding an innocent baby like that.
How about Chlamydia as a name because "it's pretty"?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I had a student years ago, probably twenty or twenty five, who would spend part of her weekend looking for weird names in news stories. She'd almost always come in on Monday with a half dozen or so, at least, and show them to me laughing.

I asked why did it and she said because she couldn't believe people would name their kids some of them and she was glad her parents hadn't given her a "ghetto" name. Her name was LaQuinita.