Why firearm fans love the AR-15 as much as the gun control crowd hates it

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
The AR-15 rifle is reviled by gun control advocates as an “assault weapon” or “weapon of war” that should be banned. And yet, the same gun is beloved by firearm enthusiasts so much that it is the most popular style of rifle sold in the U.S.

More than 20 million AR-15-style rifles are legally in the possession of Americans, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a national firearm industry trade association.

NSSF spokesman Mark Oliva said the rifle’s versatility and ease of use explain the high demand for the AR-15 format.

“What drives its popularity is the fact that it is modular. With the simple collapse of that buttstock, that rifle can fit me and my wife. And with minor adjustments to some of the cosmetic features and the attachments, I can very easily adapt that rifle for hunting, for home defense, for recreation [or] competition target shooting,” he said.

AR owners, he said, use the firearm to shoot game including goats, wild pigs and coyotes.

“It’s a small caliber that has very low recoil. It is easy to manage, and it is ergonomically designed to sort of fit your body that much better. And to be able to handle it accurately [and] safely. I think that’s what makes it such a popular platform for a rifle,” Mr. Oliva said.

Not to mention easy to assemble/disassemble, clean, repair etc. plus many more that others find beneficial.

gemma_rae

AR logo.png

It's just your imagination.
ArmaLite.png

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Or, like some of mine: 9mm, 6.5mm, 7.62mm, .458, .50,... Such a versatile platform it is.
A friend of mine, he was "Rack'em" on the forums some time back, bought one of the first Noreens that hit the area.

Not an actual AR design but close.

Noreen-Firearms-BN36-1.jpg

Not the actual picture, but just like it.

Chambered in 30:06. And shoots easy.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had t
A friend of mine, he was "Rack'em" on the forums some time back, bought one of the first Noreens that hit the area.

Not an actual AR design but close.

Noreen-Firearms-BN36-1.jpg

Not the actual picture, but just like it.

Chambered in 30:06. And shoots easy.
I had two SHTF .50 BMG AR-15 uppers ordered when the ATF suddenly decided to reclassify that particular upper as a firearm. I didn't want a rifle that was literally going to classified as two firearms (upper AND lower) so I cancelled.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I had t

I had two SHTF .50 BMG AR-15 uppers ordered when the ATF suddenly decided to reclassify that particular upper as a firearm. I didn't want a rifle that was literally going to classified as two firearms (upper AND lower) so I cancelled.
I'm thinking of getting another upper for one of mine chamberred in 6.5mm

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm thinking of getting another upper for one of mine chamberred in 6.5mm
My Grendel AR is one of the sweetest shooting rifles I own. Alexander Arms upper...Geisle 2-stage trigger group...Vortex scope.

black dog

Free America
My Grendel AR is one of the sweetest shooting rifles I own. Alexander Arms upper...Geisle 2-stage trigger group...Vortex scope.
Next build try one of Rock Rivers lower kits with the two stage thats coated. I ordered the new NM Varmit two stage with the last high power rifle I ordered from them.
No creep, no stacking and breaks as clean as glass at 3.5 lbs.
Money well spent.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Next build try one of Rock Rivers lower kits with the two stage thats coated. I ordered the new NM Varmit two stage with the last high power rifle I ordered from them.
No creep, no stacking and breaks as clean as glass at 3.5 lbs.
Money well spent.
I just might do that...I see their prices are pretty good.