Why I Love Jack...

PsyOps

Pixelated
... and that generation of golf. Or that generation period.

I'm watching a doc on 'Jack's First Major'. A play-by-play account of his win at Oakmont against Arnie in 1962. They tied and had to play an 18 hole playoff. Months after the tournament he watched the films and noticed something that would change his life. He said:

“The 13th would turn out to be one of the most interesting scenes to me in my entire life. It had nothing to do with the playoff, and I walked up with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth and tapped it in. And I looked and I said ‘Now that is the worst example for youth and rolled model I’ve ever seen’. I looked at that and I said ‘Oh, that’s awful’. I threw my cigarettes away. I had a contract with L&M at the time. I sent them back their money.”

Even at the age of 22, Jack understood the importance of setting an example. He understood and CARED about the youth looking up to him, and wanted to set a good example. This seems almost completely lost today. Now I know why I loved golf so much back then, and find myself liking less today.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I find myself getting seriously involved with older shows and DVD's. I really enjoy watching how nice things were back in the B&W days but then I get soo depressed when it's over and I come back to reality...:mad:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I was never a Nicklaus fan, but I certainly respected his skills. I did warm up to him when he was in contention for majors after he was in his forties, as long as it was not against Tom Watson.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I was never a Nicklaus fan, but I certainly respected his skills. I did warm up to him when he was in contention for majors after he was in his forties, as long as it was not against Tom Watson.

:buddies:

Both great men and great golfers of exceptional character.