Why Inline 6 Cylinders Are Better Than V6 Engines - A Comeback Story

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
This guy is pretty sharp...

How engine downsizing saved the inline six-cylinder, and why companies like Mercedes are switching from V6 to Inline 6 cylinder engines. Inline six cylinders have many advantages over a V6 engine.

General Lee

I'm not a fan of Chrysler, but I like the Jeep Wranglers. The Inline 4.0 liter 6 cylinder they had was bullet proof.

glhs837

Power with Control
Have three vehicle at home with inline sixes. Knew about eh advantages back in the day, but once I started buying BMWs, I really came to appreciate that smooth power delivery.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sure the V6 is more compact ....... but I am a fan of the I-6 having driven 170 / 225 CI Slant Sixs, 258 AMC, and 4.0 Jeep engines

1973 - Six Cylinder Hop - Ups

[oh yeah and Jungle Pam is HAF]

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'd love to see ford return the 300-i6 or Dodges Slant-6.

Both were 500k motors.

black dog

Free America
My 94 GS300 Lexus has an inline 6.
When someone says Dodge slant six all I hear is that horrible starter noise...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The only slant6 i drove was the "Super 225" version in a 60s Plymouth Valiant.

My 2nd Car was a 1967 Dodge Dart 225 Slant 6

I miss that car 66 was a one yr old body style .... the 67/69 were more square and you could get a 383 in the right circumstances

a 426 Hemi in a race only version in 68 IIRC

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had a half dozen 60s cars for the firs 15 years after I got my license. they were plentiful, cheap and easy to work on.

Really miss those old machines.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
“Thinkin 'bout a little white tank top Sittin' right there in the middle by me”. Farm trucks have a place too :lmao:
LOL..yeah, but...I couldn't wait to get a more respectable ride on the road; one that my dates would like to be seen in. And that first ride was an emerald green 1966 Mustang V-8 4-speed with killer lime-green shag carpet on both floor and headliner. Massive Craig 8-track on the hump in front of the shifter. Don't recall what hung from the rearview mirror but I'm sure something(s) did. This kid had arrived.