Why not in Calvert County?

RickB

Over the last couple of weeks my wife and I have enjoyed PG Skeet and Trap Center and on New Year’s Day a fun shoot with our friends at Loch Raven Skeet and Trap Club. We also have enjoyed Pintail Point sporting clays in Queenstown Md. When looking around Calvert County for some type of shooting venue, I see sport fields, fishing piers, boat ramps, Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, Calvert Marine Museum, Anne Marie Gardens, Kings Landing Park and pool 265 acres, cove point pool and park, Edward Hall aquatics center, Flag ponds nature park (500 acres) Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Park (100 acres), Breezy Point Beach and Campground Chesapeake Hills golf course, Hallowing Point Park, St Leonard Recreational and Solomon’s Town center Parks … and the list goes on and on. These are all in some way paid for or supported to some degree by the tax payers of Calvert County. I have yet to be able to understand why the good and honest County Commissioners of Calvert haven’t seen fit to consider the requests and hopes of the Calvert shooting community who are deprived of their opportunity to benefit from their tax dollars for a shooting venue. A premier shooting venue first would make it possible for Calvert shooters to shoot at home, and would provide for recreational, educational, charitable and nonprofit events, corporate events, group outings and various group fundraising opportunities.
The MD dept. of Natural Resources Shooting Range Committee and the NRA Range Development Dept. both are available to help get a project like this off the ground. Maybe all we need is the Calvert Commissioners to start shooting too, so they could see the value.
Why not in Calvert County? Maybe the Commissioners think there wouldn’t be enough people to support it. Each and every time I’ve been to the above shooting ranges there were many people enjoying them throughout the day. There is also a club in our neighboring county which currently has a 600 member cap with a waiting list. I believe there are, indeed, enough people to support a target shooting club in Calvert.
If people would send the Calvert Commissioners a short note to let them know how much this is wanted, maybe they would consider it and open it up for public input.
JUST THINKING

nutz

Or....you could buy the land, make the capital investment and see how much profit is in the venture. Why rely/wait on the government to do it if it's such a good deal? :whistle: