WikiIslam. An Interesting Reference.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Okay, this is posted both for (and as a) future reference, but also to poke my finger in the eye of the likes of Linda Sarsour, Ilhan Omar, etc. Take a glance and tell me if you think Shari'ah (<- link) is empowering. Sorry, not me. Not buying it.*

Here's a snippet from the article on "wife beating" (from the Conclusion):

Wife-beating is divinely sanctioned in the Qur'an and Hadiths, and intended as a method for husbands to keep their wives under control. Despite some of the statements made by Muslim apologists, wife-beating is institutionalized in Islam. Muhammad was persuaded by Umar to allow his followers to beat their wives. He seems to have been concerned at the consequences of his instructions and attempted to mitigate them, and the Qur'an first mentions two other measures that husbands must try before beating their wives. However, Muhammad failed to commit to an outright ban. In the Qur'an, and reiterated in his farewell sermon, wife-beating is not merely permitted, but is part of a command. Muhammad showed indifference to at least one heavily beaten woman, gave the mildest of remarks about other men when their wives complained, on one occasion painfully pushed 'A'isha, and allowed Abu Bakr and Umar to slap his wives and hit other women.

Link: "Wife Beating in Islam"

*Having made my political/cultural comment, I will "academically" say that this site will be bookmarked as a future resource. I wish I had this as a source during my school days doing my comparative religion classes or when I served overseas in predominately Muslim areas. Would not have necessarily made me "right," but it would have made me more informed to at least participate in a discussion/follow an issue.

As far as the wiki's authors, it is a web site run by non-Muslims, ex-Muslims, etc. As such, Muslims have - overall, and as one would expect - reacted negatively to this wiki and apparently have tried to hack into, ruin, etc. I think it invaluable as what articles they have are copiously cited from the Quran and Hadith. Worth reading this page (link): About WikiIslam

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Okay, this is posted both for (and as a) future reference, but also to poke my finger in the eye of the likes of Linda Sarsour, Ilhan Omar, etc. Take a glance and tell me if you think Shari'ah (<- link) is empowering. Sorry, not me. Not buying it.
An excellent article today from The Federalist that speaks to what I was trying (so inarticulately) to say:

Link: "Why It’s Entirely Relevant To Ask Whether Elected Representatives Believe In Sharia"

--- End of line (MCP)