Will all movies be direct-to-DVD?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.slate.com/id/2125746/

The so-called video window, for example, provides for a several-month delay between a movie's theatrical release and its DVD release. Similar windows for pay-per-view and television allow the studios to milk the maximum amount of money from each of their titles. "We have to look at window changes ... across the board," Iger said, adding, "Windows need to compress. ... I don't think it's out of the question that a DVD can be released, in effect, in the same window as a theatrical release"...

The multiplexes make almost all of their money from selling tickets—from which they split the proceeds with the studios—and from selling popcorn, soda, and other snacks, from which they make as much as 90 cents of profit on every dollar spent. As one chain owner explained to me, "The more people we move past the popcorn, the more money we make" ...

Theater owners define "better" products differently than cinephiles. They want amusement-park extravaganzas loaded with special effects that appeal to their popcorn-crunching audience, such as Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-Man,and Terminator 3.
That's one reason my wife and I go to the movies about once a year, if even that. The Lexington Park theater feels like a stockyard, with moviegoers being herded like beef cattle fattened on oily popcorn. The last time we went, I checked three times and there was always a long line for popcorn and sodas. I like movie popcorn, but not enough to miss 10-15 minutes of a movie I just paid $10 to see.

mainman

Set Trippin
Tonio said:
http://www.slate.com/id/2125746/

That's one reason my wife and I go to the movies about once a year, if even that. The Lexington Park theater feels like a stockyard, with moviegoers being herded like beef cattle fattened on oily popcorn. The last time we went, I checked three times and there was always a long line for popcorn and sodas. I like movie popcorn, but not enough to miss 10-15 minutes of a movie I just paid $10 to see.
Did the thought of arriving at the theatre 10 - 15 minutes before the moive starts ever cross your mind? :confused: I know thats a toughie...

Even if you arrive when the movie starts, they still run 10-15 of BS ads...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
mainman said:
Did the thought of arriving at the theatre 10 - 15 minutes before the moive starts ever cross your mind? :confused: I know thats a toughie...

Even if you arrive when the movie starts, they still run 10-15 of BS ads...
I hate the fact that movie theaters show commercial ads along with the trailers. And yes, we got to the theater far enough in advance to try to get some snacks, but the line was unbelievable because everyone seemed to take your advice.