Will my truck pull it????

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I have a 1994 Chevy 350 extended cab 3/4 ton with a towing package and gas engine (or gas guzzler). It has about 150K. I have a 6400 lb 4 -horse gooseneck horsetrailer that I need to bring up from FL with a couple of hitchhiking horses. Do you think my truck can pull the trailer? If not, what kind of truck do you all recommend. I obviously need a newer one anyway. I just might have to get a real job to pay for it. (That stinks) :killingme Recommendations please!

Cowgirl

Sadielady said:
I have a 1994 Chevy 350 extended cab 3/4 ton with a towing package and gas engine (or gas guzzler). It has about 150K. I have a 6400 lb 4 -horse gooseneck horsetrailer that I need to bring up from FL with a couple of hitchhiking horses. Do you think my truck can pull the trailer? If not, what kind of truck do you all recommend. I obviously need a newer one anyway. I just might have to get a real job to pay for it. (That stinks) :killingme Recommendations please!

What class hitch do you have? What is your truck rated to pull? Also check your tires...make sure your tires are good enough to pull all that weight.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Cowgirl said:
What class hitch do you have? What is your truck rated to pull? Also check your tires...make sure your tires are good enough to pull all that weight.
I just got brand new tires that I know fit the bill. I would have to get a ball put in the bed of my truck. What is the difference between a 5th wheel and just the ball hitch in the bed of the truck? I have always just owned a bumper pull. Sorry if they are dumb questions, but I honestly don't know the answers. I have to figure out how much it costs to do this.

Cowgirl

Sadielady said:
I just got brand new tires that I know fit the bill. I would have to get a ball put in the bed of my truck. What is the difference between a 5th wheel and just the ball hitch in the bed of the truck? I have always just owned a bumper pull. Sorry if they are dumb questions, but I honestly don't know the answers. I have to figure out how much it costs to do this.

Check here ...there's some info on it. Have you looked into getting them shipped? By the time you spend all that money to get your truck ready, and add in gas and expenses for the trip down and back, you might find it's cheaper or almost as cheap to get them shipped...especially because you have 4 horses to come back.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Cowgirl said:

There's only one basic standard hitch on a GN :lmao:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Sadielady said:

Your truck is very capable of handling it. As far as the hitch it's a ball a fifth wheel is your GN camper type trailers. Just make sure you get a brake controller and the trailer brakes do work.. Hitch in bed of truck can vary by which type of application you use and labor. There not hard to install just have to have time and measure measure& measure again....Also take a floor jack,wood blocks for wheel chocks ,and 4way lug wrench in case of a flat.... :popcorn:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Cowgirl said:
Check here ...there's some info on it. Have you looked into getting them shipped? By the time you spend all that money to get your truck ready, and add in gas and expenses for the trip down and back, you might find it's cheaper or almost as cheap to get them shipped...especially because you have 4 horses to come back.
Thanks. I now own the 4 horse trailer. It just is 1000 miles away. It was a great deal, but if I can't use it...it doesn't do me much good. If my truck can handle the weight of pulling the horse trailer back, the expense will be a lot less than buying a newer truck. My mom figured since I was bringing a 4 horse trailer back then I needed to bring horses back too. :lmao:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
mingiz said:
Your truck is very capable of handling it. As far as the hitch it's a ball a fifth wheel is your GN camper type trailers. Just make sure you get a brake controller and the trailer brakes do work.. Hitch in bed of truck can vary by which type of application you use and labor. There not hard to install just have to have time and measure measure& measure again....Also take a floor jack,wood blocks for wheel chocks ,and 4way lug wrench in case of a flat.... :popcorn:
Thanks that sounds good to me. I am not looking forward to that drive again. :jameo:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Sadielady said:
I have a 1994 Chevy 350 extended cab 3/4 ton with a towing package and gas engine (or gas guzzler). If not, what kind of truck do you all recommend. !

A Ford :killingme :killingme

Just kiddin!

FrmGrl

Get some!
Sadielady said:
I would like to take someone to fix my flat too, if at all possible. :razz:

Your in good hands. My daddy taught me how to change a flat when I was 12. But dont you be thinking I am going to do all the work missy!! :razz:

R

RadioPatrol

Sadielady said:

Size Matters :whistle:

that said I would guess with the 3/4 ton 4x4 if should have a large V8 ?

I got access to a 94 Ford F350 4x4 w/460 - it'll pull your house over but not pass more than 3 gas stations b4 needing gas :ohwell:

It pulled an 18' car trailer w/ a 2 ton Grand Wagoneer back from Reeding PA .... Foxhound uses it to pull around his bayliner ............