Will political correctness kill classic movies?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sound hysterical? It's currently in vogue to tear down statues that don’t align with current groupthink. So why would pop culture artifacts be spared?

In fact, it’s already been done.

Two years ago, a Memphis theater nixed a screening of the 1939 classic “Gone with the Wind” because of its “insensitive” content.

Disney’s Oscar-winning “Song of the South” won’t be seen on the company’s forthcoming streaming platform. The 1946 film’s antiquated, and some say racist, portrayal of black life turned the movie into cultural poison. It’s never made it to home video, and that’s unlikely to change in the near future.

The effort to wipe clean questionable content is happening elsewhere, too. The work itself doesn’t have to be “problematic” if the performer in front of the camera is. Bounce TV yanked reruns of “The Cosby Show”following star Bill Cosby’s conviction on rape charges.

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/443282-will-political-correctness-kill-classic-movies

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Image result for stalin erases

Reactions: BOP

luvmygdaughters

Song of the South was a great movie. I remember watching it as a kid and bought the DVD for my granddaughters to watch. It was one of their favorites. Uncle Remus was a kind, wise, patient man. Was that a bad thing????? As for Gone with the Wind...it was a movie made about two people during the Civil War...are we supposed to pretend that war didnt happen??????? This crap gets on my nerves to no end!!! Lets see, next it will be West Side Story...because it portrays poor white and poor Puerto Rican kids as gang members and bad people!!:sarcasm:

Hijinx

They took Amos and Andy off and we got the Jefferson's and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Good Times.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What people don't get is Mel Brooks was making a point AGAINST bigotry and racism.
Norman Lear did the same with All in the Family, they were either pulled or bleeped out.
I thought there was going to be a re-boot of this...

BernieP

Resident PIA
I thought there was going to be a re-boot of this...
I hadn't heard, but it will not be the same Archie Bunker. People are superficial, intellectually shallow, to understand the use of satire to poke at social issues.
Mel Brooks and Norman Lear would be vilified today.