• Please, Lord, please no!!!

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They made...

...it! They made it!

A pretty damn good day 1! I don't get the USC guy; he's a Cooley clone and the word is that Zorn wants to use them both. We'll see. The other two guys, especially the Michigan State kid sound good to me.

:buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated
...it! They made it!

A pretty damn good day 1! I don't get the USC guy; he's a Cooley clone and the word is that Zorn wants to use them both. We'll see. The other two guys, especially the Michigan State kid sound good to me.

I don't suppose you recall the discussion about the Skins needing a compliment to Moss and I suggested they needed another Cooley? Well, there you have it.

They'll still be a bunch of losers.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Decent draft for the Skins.:yay:

I give them a B-.

The two WR's should help immensely. You almost have to guess that one will be a bust eventually and the other will be alright. Perhaps we get lucky.

I didn't like the selection of TE Fred Davis at first but I am starting to really like the kid when I did some research. One can tell that he is a beast just by watching the tape. He should be a threat in the redzone, just like Cooley. If you think defending Cooley in the redzone is tough, try defending them both.

Although it was later in the rounds, I commend the Skins for finally picking an offensive tackle/guard and defensive end. At least its something to work with, maybe. The two safeties should be projects in the coming years; good for depth.

Colt Brennan in the 6th is very intriguing. If Campbell should struggle any in the next few years I could certainly see a quarterback controversy forming. It wouldn't take much for some fans to call for the big numbers QB from Hawaii.

Now the waiting game again. Let's see what these puppies do in the pre-season.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Final Odds And Ends

The Skins have agreed to terms with 13 undrafted free agents, Cerrato said, and the team will announce that after the players are officially signed - they agreed with 4 OL, 2 DL, 1 CB, 1 QB, 1 WR, 2 S, 2 LBs.

Zorn said he has yet to meet some players - Shawn Springs and LaRon Landry are among those who have not been around - and that the players will wear names on theri backs at mini camp to help the coaches stay on top of things.

Carlos Rogers, Colt Brennan and Rocky McIntosh are players who will not be able to particualte fully in the mini camp, Zorn said.

The only people in the Redskins war room with regularity through the draft were Cerrato, Snyder, Zorn, and Scott Campbell, with scout Shemy Schembechler working the phones.

Rinehart, the OL the Skins took, will definitely take snaps at center and could be a backup there in time, though he did not play there in college, Zorn and Cerrato said. That is an area of need.

Cerrato said all three times the Redskins traded back they still ended up getting the exact player they had originally earmarked. So if these guys don't pan out for any reason, it won't be because the Skins got stuck taking players they didn't value.

LSU DT Glenn Dorsey was the top player on Washington's overall board, Cerrato said.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
Redskins | D. Clark agrees to terms
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:45:04 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Washington Redskins have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent OT/G Devin Clark (New Mexico). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Redskins | Boatman agrees to terms
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:44:06 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Washington Redskins have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent OT Shannon Boatman (Florida State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Two more rookie free-agents signed. O-Line:yay: get em' Buges!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
Signed rookie free-agent OG Kerry Brown from Appalacian State.

6'6", 305 lbs.

Intriguing small school prospect with an NFL combination of size and athleticism, as well as a history of enjoying his best games against his top competition. Brown has good initial quickness and flashes the ability to get to the second level and block on the move. A four-year starter, Brown has won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy each of the past two seasons -- an award annually given to the Southern Conference's (of the former D-IAA) best offensive lineman.

Analysis
Positives: Naturally large man with an evenly proportioned build. ... Good initial quickness off the snap. ... Good use of hands. ... Good hand placement to control and steer the defender. ... Flashes explosiveness in his initial hand punch to jolt defender. ... Understands blocking angles and has the foot quickness to get to the second level. ... At least adequate lateral quickness. ... Good leverage. ... High character player. ... Impressive in games against Michigan and LSU the past two years.

Negatives: Despite his production and reputation, Brown is only a marginal overall athlete. ... Lacks the agility to mirror quick defensive tackles and has only marginal burst to recover should he get beaten off the initial snap. ... Marginal anchor against a strong bull rush. ... A bit of a reputation for playing down to his level of competition.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://was.scout.com/2/750545.html

Senior NFL Analyst Ed Thompson has reported to us here at Warpath that the Redskins have signed Wide Receiver Horace Gant from St. Olaf College.

Grant, who ended his career as St. Olaf's leader in receiving yards, touchdown receptions and receptions, is one of 50 NCAA students from across the country who made up 2007's American Football Coaches Association Division III all-star team.

By Robbie Neiswanger
The Morning News/Razorback Central
Posted Apr 27, 2008

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas cornerbacks Matterral Richardson and Michael Grant didn’t get to hear their names called during the seven-round, 2008 NFL Draft on Sunday.

They will get a chance to try to make NFL rosters, though. Grant agreed to a free agent contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, while Richardson signed with the Washington Redskins after the draft concluded Sunday night.
http://arkansas.scout.com/2/750627.html<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
Decent draft for the Skins.:yay:

I give them a B-.

The two WR's should help immensely. You almost have to guess that one will be a bust eventually and the other will be alright. Perhaps we get lucky.

I didn't like the selection of TE Fred Davis at first but I am starting to really like the kid when I did some research. One can tell that he is a beast just by watching the tape. He should be a threat in the redzone, just like Cooley. If you think defending Cooley in the redzone is tough, try defending them both.

Although it was later in the rounds, I commend the Skins for finally picking an offensive tackle/guard and defensive end. At least its something to work with, maybe. The two safeties should be projects in the coming years; good for depth.

Colt Brennan in the 6th is very intriguing. If Campbell should struggle any in the next few years I could certainly see a quarterback controversy forming. It wouldn't take much for some fans to call for the big numbers QB from Hawaii.

Now the waiting game again. Let's see what these puppies do in the pre-season.
I almost forgot our middle 6th round pick, Durant Brooks. The punter from Georgia Tech won the Ray Guy award for best punter in the nation. He was a finalist for the award in 2006. He once booted a 76 yard punt. See you later Derick Frost.:yahoo:

Durant Brooks (P)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 204
College: Georgia Tech
Conference: ACC
Hometown: Macon, GA
High School: Tattnall Square
View Combine Page

Selected by: Washington Redskins
Round: 6
Pick (Overall): 2 (168)

Overview

This time, the Ray Guy Award voters got it right, as Brooks was the recipient of the 2007 award after finishing as a finalist in 2006. It was appropriate that he was named to the award, as many in the industry feel that he is the finest punter to play at the collegiate level since Ray Guy himself. Ironically, Guy has been a family friend and Brooks' mentor.

Along with kicker Travis Bell, Brooks gave the Yellow Jackets the best kicking tandem in the ountry. Boasting a 40.66-yard net average, the Tech punter ranked fourth in the nation with a 45.52-yard gross punting average in 2006, As a senior, he finished fifth nationally with a 45.06-yard average and a 40.58-yard net average.

Brooks' career average of 45.31 yards per punt attempt set an Atlantic Coast Conference all-time record and is the fourth-highest average in NCAA annals. His 57 punts for 50 yards or longer over his last two seasons set another NCAA mark. No punter in college football has been able to amass a net-yard average that the Tech athlete accomplished (43.4 avg).

Little was known about Brooks before he arrived at Georgia Tech as a transfer in 2005. He lettered three years for head coach Barney Hester at Tattnall Square Academy, where he helped lead the team to the 2001 GISA state title. He was also a basketball standout, averaging 18 points per game and setting the school record for career three-pointers.

After graduation, Brooks enrolled at Georgia Military College, spending two years punting for head coach Bert Williams. He averaged nearly 40 yards per punt over his two seasons.

In 2005, he joined the Tech program, sitting out the season while performing on the scout team.

Brooks wasted no time garnering national media attention for his towering punts at Tech in 2006. He earned All-American and All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors, in addition to being a finalist for the Ray Guy Award. He punted 79 times for 3,596 yards (45.52 avg) with 35 attempts that were downed inside the 20-yard line. He had 33 kicks returned, but the opposition managed just 164 yards, with no return longer than 18 yards, as he posted a 40.66-yard net average. He also had 27 of his punts go for 50 yards or longer.

As a senior, Brooks captured All-American and All-ACC first-team accolades, to go along with winning the Ray Guy Award. He amassed 2,929 yards on 65 attempts (45.06 avg), placing 33 inside the 20-yard line. He had 30 punts for 50 yards or longer, two shy of the NCAA single-season record. The opposition called for 21 fair catches and returned only 19 of his punts for 111 yards (5.8 avg), with none longer than 14 yards. That gave him a 40.58-yard net average.

In two seasons at Georgia Tech, Brooks shattered school and conference career records with an average of 45.31 yards on 144 punts for 6,525 yards. He had 20 kicks go for touchbacks and 68 attempts that were downed inside the 20-yard line. The opposition called for 30 fair catches and returned 52 other kicks for 275 yards (5.29 avg), finishing with a 40.63-yard net average.

Brooks put on a sensational show during Senior Bowl practices that NFL coaches are still raving about. Brooks stepped into his first punt of the day during Tuesday's session and sent it sailing. As the ball continued to fly past the other sideline and then over the head of Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden, Gruden simply looked up at the ball and asked, "Is that serious?"

The fact is, punts like those are not only serious for Brooks, but they have become routine. "Durant is a great talent," 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said. "I don't think teams are going to be able to sit around and hope he falls to them."

After Tuesday's practice featured the length of Brooks' punts, Wednesday focused more on directional and pooch punting drills. With the NFL scouts already aware of his leg strength, Brooks proved he could consistently down the ball inside the 10-yard line. "Everyone knows that Durant can kick the ball a good ways, but what's underrated is how incredible his hang time is," one scout said. "When you're trying to punt the ball inside the 20 it's all about hang time, and Durant does it better than anybody."

Career Notes

Had 57 punts for 50 yards or longer in a two-year span, breaking the old NCAA record of 51 by Marv Bateman of Utah (1970-71, on 133 punts)...His 30 punts for 50 yards or longer in 2007 was two shy of the NCAA single-season record of 30 by Todd Sauerbrun of West Virginia (on 72 attempts in 1994)...Brooks' career average of 45.31 yards rank fourth in the NCAA record books (150-249 punts), topped only by Sauerbrun (46,31 average on 167 punts for 7,733 yards, 1991-94), Reggie Roby of Iowa (45.63 average on 172 punts for 7,849 yards, 1979-82) and Greg Montgomery of Michigan State (45.42 average on 170 punts for 7,721 yards, 1985-87)...His 45.31-yard average broke the old Atlantic Coast Conference career record of 45.26 yards by Ryan Plackemeier of Wake Forest (220 for 9,957 yards, 2002-05) and set a new school record, topping the previous mark of 41.42 yards by Rodney Williams (178 for 7,373 yards, 1995-98)...His 45.52-yard average in 2006 ran second in school annals behind Williams' 45.64-yard average in 1997 and rank seventh on the ACC single-season record list...His 144 punt attempts placed him eighth on the school all-time record list...His 79 punts in 2006 rank third on the Tech single-season record list behind Jeff Pierce (88 in 1980) and Ben Arndt (87 in 2005)...Gained 453 yards punting vs. Boston College in 2007, the fourth-best game total in school annals, topped by Rodney Williams (553 vs. Florida State, 1997), Sean McDevitt (505 vs. Clemson, 1987) and Ron Rice (454 vs. Auburn, 1982)...His 60.0-yard average vs. North Carolina in 2007 shattered the school's old single-game record average of 53.3 yards by Rodney Williams vs. Duke in 1997.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/durant-brooks?id=1683

BuddyLee

Football addict
...you are no in charge of keeping us informed and updated about the new people.

Good job!

The Skins finally posted the 13 rookie free-agents.

Redskins Add 13 Undrafted Rookies

<TABLE id=tableborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=350 border=0><TBODY><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Shannon Boatman</TD><TD noWrap>OL</TD><TD>Florida State</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Kerry Brown</TD><TD noWrap>OL</TD><TD>Appalachian State</TD>
</TR><TR id=row2><TD noWrap>Devin Clark</TD><TD noWrap>OL</TD><TD>New Mexico</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Kyle DeVan</TD><TD noWrap>OL</TD><TD>Oregon State</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Alonzo Dotson</TD><TD noWrap>DE</TD><TD>Oklahoma</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Horace Gant</TD><TD noWrap>WR</TD><TD>St. Olaf College</TD>
</TR><TR id=row2><TD noWrap>Curtis Gatewood</TD><TD noWrap>LB</TD><TD>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Bret Meyer</TD><TD noWrap>QB</TD><TD>Iowa State</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Kevin Mitchell</TD><TD noWrap>S</TD><TD>Illinois</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Matteral Richardson</TD><TD noWrap>CB</TD><TD>Arkansas</TD>
</TR><TR id=row2><TD noWrap>Justin Scott</TD><TD noWrap>S</TD><TD>Purdue</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Dorian Smith</TD><TD noWrap>DE</TD><TD>Oregon State</TD>
</TR><TR id=row1><TD noWrap>Bryan Wilson</TD><TD noWrap>LB</TD><TD>Morgan State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbc...708/1005/SPORTS

Click link for entire article

Zorn excited about newest weapons

April 29, 2008

By Ryan O'Halloran - The jersey presentations and photo opportunities complete, Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn finally was able to talk about adding three weapons to his passing offense. It didn't take him long to get rolling.

"I'm excited about the ability to change personnel groups," he said yesterday after second-round picks Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly were introduced at Redskin Park. "That's what aids this style of offense. We'll be able to utilize guys for certain situations."

Zorn then reeled off several possible formations in which receivers Thomas and Kelly and tight end Davis could be involved: Two-back, one-tight end, two-receiver; one-back, one-tight end, three-receiver; two-back, three-receiver; two-tight end, two-receiver.

Yes, Zorn is a little excited to have so many chess pieces to move around.

Even though they're rookies, Zorn expects them to contribute. And even though they know about the talent at the skill positions, the rookies expect to contribute.

The Redskins traded out of the No. 21 spot of the first round to acquire two second-round picks (in addition to their own) from the Atlanta Falcons. They chose Thomas 34th, Davis 48th and Kelly 51st overall.

"It's adding more fire to an offense that already had a lot of fuel," Thomas said. "We're going to be rolling, and it's going to be a good situation for everybody."

The process of presenting the new passing offense to the Redskins in general and rookies in particular starts Friday with a three-day minicamp. Yesterday the draft picks and their families toured the facility and met the coaching staff. The three players had breakfast together in the morning.

"We're going to push each other to get better," Kelly said. "We were 'the guy' at our colleges last year, but now we're pups again. We know where we stand. We know we have to come in and compete."

Thomas, who will wear Brandon Lloyd's No. 85, took a detour to Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College before playing at Michigan State for two seasons.

"He really went through the maturing process in junior college," said Thomas' father, Dwight. "He was in an isolated area, and there basically was nothing else to do but think about football and get his GPA up. He really grew a whole lot as a person."

Thomas had a huge junior season for the Spartans, catching a school-record 79 passes and eight touchdowns.

"I feel like with my size I can fight for the ball using my body at the highest point and box out linebackers and defensive backs," he said. "I can take some shots and keep on ticking."

Kelly, an early entry player from Oklahoma, thought the Redskins were going to take him after they flew down to Norman last week for a private workout. Yet they chose Thomas first.

"After that workout, I told family, friends and everybody I was going to end up a Washington Redskin," Kelly said. "[After Thomas was drafted], I didn't count it out. I knew it was a new offense being brought in and they would need a lot of playmakers. When they did pick me, I was excited."

Thomas (6-foot-2) and Kelly (6-4) instantly become Jason Campbell's biggest targets. Both players are tall enough to outjump cornerbacks and physical enough to overpower them in the air.
I can't wait to see some pre-season film on these guys.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
Very neat mini-camp news.

What Zorn's doing, new receivers, Carlos, McIntosh...the whole gambit.:yay:

Mini-Camp Blog: Friday, May 2

Some Jim Zorn Quotes
Jim Zorn spoke to the media throng after practice.
On his first practice:
"I thought that all the preparation that we have done was executed very well out here. I am very happy with how guys worked and how guys finished, great effort with the ball. The thing that I was really amazed by is some of these guys have only been here a day or two and to come out, line up, not jump off sides, no fumbles, no fumbled snaps; there is kind of a victory just in that. Then, to put the whole practice together the way we did, I thought it was outstanding."
On if he had any butterflies:
"I had no butterflies. I had too many things to think about."

Defense Dominates
In the morning session, the offense mostly looked sharp in 11-on-11 work. In the afternoon, the defense stepped up.
Matt Sinclair got it going by stepping in front of Todd Collins's short pass across the middle for an interception.
John Eubanks intercepted a Sam Hollenbach pass, drawing howls of approval from Fred Smoot. One play later, Eubanks nearly intercepted another Hollenbach pass, but the ball slipped from his grasp.
Rookie Chris Horton made a nice play, batting away a pass to Antwaan Randle El.
Shawn Springs pulled in an interception of Jason Campbell, and then raced across field looking for blockers. He tossed the ball to Fred Smoot who was running alongside him. That upset Jim Zorn, who yelled, "Don't do that, don't do that. Don't mess around." The offense did make some plays, of course. Devin Thomas caught a short pass and put a move on Reed Doughty. Upset at himself, Doughty chased down Thomas as the play ended.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Mini-Camp Blog: Saturday, May 3

Up-Downs For D-Linemen
The defense wasn't immune to mistakes.
Defensive end Tommy Davis was offside, and he received a tongue-lashing from gruff defensive line coach John Palermo. "Tommy, you'll cost us a 5-yard penalty," Palermo yelled. "Wait for the ball!"

Davis was forced to do a series of up-downs for the infraction.
Later, another young lineman in Kevin Huntley was offside. "Get outta there," Palermo yelled as Huntley clasped his helmet in frustration at his gaffe. Huntley found space behind a row of players to do his up-downs.
:lol:

Zorn On the Defense
The defense is clearly ahead of the offense at this point of the offseason. On most plays, they were a step ahead.

Makes sense. Offensive players have an abbreviated playbook that they just received for the mini-camp. They have barely had time to absorb the plays and take it all in.

After practice, Jim Zorn was asked to comment on the defense.
"The front seven--they're giving a great effort," Zorn said. Linebackers are scraping, filling holes and pursuing very well. The safeties and corners are doing a good job disguising their looks. I think that's helping.

"The main thing to watch is the emphasis of pursuit and swarming to the ball wherever it's going. It was great to see."
The Redskins hold their second practice of the day--and fourth of the mini-camp--later this afternoon.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Jim Zorn met with Fred Davis shortly after Sunday's practice. The former USC tight end and second-round draft pick overslept on Sunday morning, which is why he missed the practice, team officials said.

Earlier, Zorn stressed that Davis and other young players need to be more responsible.

"That's a young guy--let's [remember to] set the alarm," Zorn said. "You can call for a wake-up call. Some of these guys are young enough--I am serious--to not even understand that.
"He thought maybe someone else was going to wake him up, but he will learn."
Mini-Camp Blog: Sunday, May 4