Will Trump be convicted in the senate next week?

easyliving45

I've been following along with Trumps most recent impeachment and I am fascinated to see what will happen in the Senate. What do you guys think?

Today McConell indicated he believed the "mob" was "provoked" by Trump and others.

McConell was recently re-elected for a 6 year term so he has little to loose by trying to whip enough votes to convict Trump.

If Trump is convicted he can no longer run for public office, he will lose his presidential pension and secret service protection.

It appears Mitch blames Trump for losing the House, Presidency and most recently the Senate and giving Democrats total control and now wants to cut ties with the Trump portion of the republican party.

It will be interesting to see if the party spilts and a new viable party emerges or if Trumpism goes the way of the Tea party and peters out.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/politics/mcconnell-impeachment-trump-capitol-riot/index.html

easyliving45

The date on the story is Jan. 12 th.

That was a link to a story about how the impeachment trial would play out and Mcconells thoughts on Trump.

Here is todays article with his most recent quotes:

Hijinx

We are all Americans. True but many I am ashamed of including this cowardly Turtle mother fuker.

But there is no trial today.

Will99

I've been following along with Trumps most recent impeachment and I am fascinated to see what will happen in the Senate. What do you guys think?

Today McConell indicated he believed the "mob" was "provoked" by Trump and others.

McConell was recently re-elected for a 6 year term so he has little to loose by trying to whip enough votes to convict Trump.

If Trump is convicted he can no longer run for public office, he will lose his presidential pension and secret service protection.

It appears Mitch blames Trump for losing the House, Presidency and most recently the Senate and giving Democrats total control and now wants to cut ties with the Trump portion of the republican party.

It will be interesting to see if the party spilts and a new viable party emerges or if Trumpism goes the way of the Tea party and peters out.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/politics/mcconnell-impeachment-trump-capitol-riot/index.html
I don’t think he loses his pension or secret service detail without a specific vote on that.

Will99

I think this impeachment is is stupid. It will do nothing. He’s not going to be impeached and this is just going to continue this discord.

easyliving45

I don’t think he loses his pension or secret service detail without a specific vote on that.

That is true. Impeachment requires 2/3 and losing his pension and other benefits would require a simple majority so it stands to reason if they vote to convict they would vote to strip him of his benefits.

easyliving45

I think this impeachment is is stupid. It will do nothing. He’s not going to be impeached and this is just going to continue this discord.

He has already been impeached..

This is a vote to determined if he will be convicted of inciting sedition.

SamSpade

I am pretty sure that they cannot - and should not - remove Secret Service protection. I don't think there is any legal precedent.
Remember that without Secret Service protection - he is a risk for National Security. They protect HIM, but by doing it for all former Presidents, they do it for US. Despite what they've said in the news - they can't do that.

For a guy who actually donated his Presidential pay each year - the pension isn't relevant. If they yank it from him, it would be petty.

Which leaves the "inability to run for office" thing. To my knowledge it MUST be specifically added to an actual conviction - it does not just come automatically.

Which leaves us with this --

WHAT IS THE POINT of an impeachment trial after leaving office? Constitutionally the only reason we impeach is to remove from office - there is no legal, constitutional reason for a trial AFTER office - if there were - Nixon would have been tried after resigning. The purpose of impeachment is the legal means to remove a person from office. If they are no longer there - why bother? I mean - would you put him on trial if he DIED? He's not in office. This is a juvenile, petty effort that will only divide the nation.

I suspect Biden may do something utterly useless - offer a pardon. A pardon is an admission of guilt, and Trump believes - as I do - he didn't commit a crime. He needs 17 Republicans to believe he did and vote against him. I seriously doubt there are that many votes for it.

Lastly - Trump is 74. For him to run for President again, he'd be 78. Is he SO MUCH A DANGER they must make it a law that he can't run again? I mean, if he's a crook - what are the chances he'd win?

Unless he isn't.

limblips

There is the lingering question of the timing of the FBI receiving intel that there would be violence the day before Trump allegedly incited the crowd. Pelosi rushed the impeachment to get it done before any investigation in to the allegations against Trump. The Norfolk field office of the FBI notified the DC FBI heads that they had intel and have stated they provided the info on the 5th yet the Swamp FBI people say not so. Somebody is lying. And my money is on the corrupt FBI in DC. In the last 5 plus years lying has become part of their DNA. It is frightening that an agency that has so much power is so corrupt. I have stated before, the rank and file are for the most part dedicated hard working Americans. The leadership in DC is a cesspool of corruption, lying and abuse of authority. If the proper evidence is presented Trump will not be convicted but there are many who will abuse their office to squelch destroy and hide evidence.

SamSpade

There is the lingering question of the timing of the FBI receiving intel that there would be violence the day before Trump allegedly incited the crowd. Pelosi rushed the impeachment to get it done before any investigation in to the allegations against Trump. The Norfolk field office of the FBI notified the DC FBI heads that they had intel and have stated they provided the info on the 5th yet the Swamp FBI people say not so. Somebody is lying. And my money is on the corrupt FBI in DC. In the last 5 plus years lying has become part of their DNA.

Nothing seems to point to guilt on Trump's part - it's a stretch. If you want to crucify someone for incitement to riot - you kind of need evidence other than - people rioted. In an normal court of law - it would never stand up to scrutiny.

IF it was planned ahead of time - it could NOT have been because of Trump. Unless he coordinated the effort - he didn't do it.
I mean, one of the stupid arguments was, well, bin Laden wasn't there in New York but he did do it. Yes. He did. He planned it - he financed it. He coordinated it. He researched it. He did it. They want to blame a planned event he had nothing to do with planning. They want to claim that people who heard him talk about stealing the election walked down to the Capitol and invaded. Except no one who heard him speak could have been there, and the ones identified were clearly NOT there to hear him speak. There's no link.

I suspect Trump WANTS a trial - because if he's clever, he can insert lots of material they really don't want aired in public.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
He has already been impeached..

That is up for Debate Sapidus

Trump may not be impeached if Pelosi declines to send articles to Senate: Harvard professor

“The Constitution doesn’t say how fast the articles must go to the Senate. Some modest delay is not inconsistent with the Constitution, or how both chambers usually work,” Noah Feldman wrote in a column for Bloomberg.

But, he added, the speaker has to eventually forward them to the Senate for the proceedings to be legitimate.

“Both parts are necessary to make an impeachment under the Constitution: The House must actually send the articles and send managers to the Senate to prosecute the impeachment. And the Senate must actually hold a trial,” he continued.

“If the House does not communicate its impeachment to the Senate, it hasn’t actually impeached the president. If the articles are not transmitted, Trump could legitimately say he wasn’t truly impeached at all.”

Pelosi would be taking a huge risk by not sending the articles to the Senate, and the upper chamber would not be acting in accordance with the Constitution if it did not hold a fair trial, Feldman added.

After 12 tomorrow Trump is No Longer President, you cannot impeach a Private Citizen

Former fed judge says Senate has no ‘constitutional authority’ to impeach Trump after he leaves office