Window Tint

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Had my windows tinted about 5 - 6 years ago and they still look fine.....Md State Trooper stopped me today and said that they didn't look fine to him....He said that they are crackin down on window tint....He had 2 little boxes about the size of a pk of cigarettes....He put one on the outside and one on the inside and that one had a digital readout the read 29%....Md. says anything under 35% is illegal....I got a repair order ticket...I have to take my truck to the DVM and they will check it when I get it right....Sucks to be me....:burning:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Dupontster
Had my windows tinted about 5 - 6 years ago and they still look fine.....Md State Trooper stopped me today and said that they didn't look fine to him....He said that they are crackin down on window tint....He had 2 little boxes about the size of a pk of cigarettes....He put one on the outside and one on the inside and that one had a digital readout the read 29%....Md. says anything under 35% is illegal....I got a repair order ticket...I have to take my truck to the DVM and they will check it when I get it right....Sucks to be me....:burning:

I got stuck too. I knew my tint was illegal but it wasn't limo tint or anything. 20% isn't all that dark. When I peeled mine and took it to the DMV the state police guy there told me that the glass itself can add sometimes as much as 10%. So to be safe when you get retinted you should get 45% tint. Might as well not have any.

K

Kizzy

Just go to DMV and get it checked. Once you have a sticker, you will not get a repair order again. It is an in and out thing at DMV, but here in Waldorf, they only do it on Tuesday's and Thursday's from 8:30-10 a.m.

IMO, he should not have given you a repair order. What they are using has a plus or minus 5% error rate. Worst case, you would be right at 34%, close, but legal.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by IM4Change
Just go to DMV and get it checked. Once you have a sticker, you will not get a repair order again. It is an in and out thing at DMV, but here in Waldorf, they only do it on Tuesday's and Thursday's from 8:30-10 a.m.

Get there early cause the line to get in is BAD!!!!

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Originally posted by IM4Change

IMO, he should not have given you a repair order. What they are using has a plus or minus 5% error rate. Worst case, you would be right at 34%, close, but legal.

The trooper told me the error rate is 3%....If it was 5% I still would be at 34% and anything under 35% is considered illegal.....I still am going to have to have them redone....Suppose I go to Waldorf, sit in line and they still tell me they are too dark.....Then I have to come all the way back down here get them retinted and back to Waldorf and hope they pass the next time....I think I'll be better off just retinting them, then go to Waldorf and hope they pass....A real PITA....:mad:

John Z

if you will
D'oh! I hope we don't get stopped. Our two cars are tinted at 35%, so we'd definitely fail the test. But that's a risk I was willing to take when I came into MD, failed the tint test at DMV, peeled the tint, got my tags, then retinted at 35%. I hope they just focus on the tint that looks like 20% or darker.... Don't really want to mess with it again. :frown: