Windows 10 Ameliorated

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Windows 10 is known to come with a lot of telemetry and other “features” that reduce privacy in order to work as “software as a service”. Thankfully, there’s an effort to ameliorate this…

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
What's your take on this vid, @GURPS? Worth the time? As in, good stuff on offer by these folks to follow? 👍 or 👎 is fine....

TIA

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
@Yooper

as in deploying this version of windows ?
or if the Channel worth watching ?

the channel is entertaining - they do tech reviews, builds and other stuff

there are 4 channels altogether

Yooper

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm always looking to lock down my Windows 10 install and I know just enough to be dangerous. So was just curious as to your take on what the vid recommended; whether it was good advice or not.

I've followed advice from folks I thought reputable and ended up making my system(s) more vulnerable. So since you're far and away a smarter (IT) guy than I am I figured I'd get a thumbs uo or down from you. I figured it was probably thumbs up b/c you posted it, but didn't know if it came with caveats.

--- End of line (MCP)

TPD

the poor dad
I'm mostly a Mac guy but that was interesting to watch. I have not upgraded our store computers to Windows 10 yet, but I'm sure I can not ameliorate them because our POS software would probably not like it.

What I would like to ameliorate is the communication between my Ram truck and FCA. I do not need an email from them telling me how much air is in the tires or how much gas is in the tank or when my oil needs changing! If they know all of this, what else do they know about my driving habits?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I figured it was probably thumbs up b/c you posted it,

not at all ...... it was good information - I've mostly resolved most of the Telemetry issues - locking it down, turning it off

Do you really need windows ?

I would run Linux if I wasn't a gamer ... there are versions that are locked down fairly tightly

Yooper

I would run Linux if....
I keep trying to move exclusively to Linux but there's just not the stuff (meaning, software) I need to make it happen (or, to make it happen without sweat). Plus, trying to teach the fellow house residents/other family how to work with Linux just isn't worth the effort. So it remains more a hobby choice than work choice (I tend to stick with Ubuntu and several of its forks).

I'd love to move entirely to Mac (as I think it's a great middle ground between Linux and Windows in many areas). But Mac has become the Big Brother it revolted against in its famous TV ad. Apple, of course, says it's for the good of the OS ecosystem (and users) that your choices are limited (both hardware and software) while not seemingly realizing the irony of its mindset (as Big Brother uses that exact philosophy to do what it did/does). I do have Macs (of various types) and iOS devices (again, of various types) so it's not like I'm the opposite of a Mac fanboy.

I HATE Google so I really wish I could avoid using Android. I mitigate that by using iPhones (iOS being less restrictive than the Mac OS; interesting how iOS has loosened a bit while Mac OS has tightened down over the last few years) and bowing to the Alphabet/Google/Android beast as infrequently as I can.

Would prefer avoiding all these folks, but it's not practical to go back to "strings and cans" or smoke signals.... :sigh:

--- End of random musings and line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Plus, trying to teach the fellow house residents/other family how to work with Linux just isn't worth the effort.

Fair enough ....... Firefox is cross platform

I was running a custom Android Distro - Cyanogyn Mod [ now defunct for Oxygen OS] when I had a One Plus

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Our network is run on Linux but all our desktops are Windows 7 and 10. We've been running Mozilla Thunderbird mail server/service but that's being replaced soon....not sure with what, but it will still be on the Linux server. Better remote mail access capabilities is what our IT guy said.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Chinese. And the company that produced it is almost certainly now tied to the CCP.

Fair Enough .... aren't they all

As I understand it ANY Business working in China has to have a partnership with a Chinese Entity that is the majority stakeholder and they are ALL run by the Chinese Gov. [ the Chinese bit ]

[not necessarily companies just contracting for widgets to be built]

hmm my Samsung was built in Vietnam

Yooper

Fair Enough .... aren't they all

(a) As I understand it ANY Business working in China has to have a partnership with a Chinese Entity that is the majority stakeholder and they are ALL run by the Chinese Gov. [ the Chinese bit ]

[not necessarily companies just contracting for widgets to be built]

(b) hmm my Samsung was built in Vietnam
(a) True. I'm less concerned about Chevy in China than I am about TikTok or Oppo or LeEco or Huawei (etc.) here....

(b) Yup. Mine, as well. Had they stayed in China my love/support of Samsung would have ended....

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
(a) True. I'm less concerned about Chevy in China than I am about TikTok or Oppo or LeEco or Huawei (etc.) here....

I agree .....

I assume everyone is spying on me so unless I disconnect 100% .. meh

the scary bit more concerning was Northrop Grumman or it was the DOD finding FAKE Cisco Switches on their Local Area Network

HOW Does That Happen