Windows 10 Upgrade Question.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Has anyone upgraded their PC or laptop from a 32-bit version of Windows 10 to a 64-bit version? If so, was it difficult?

I've got a recycled Panasonic Toughbook that had been upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Unfortunately the upgrade was to a 32-bit version of Windows 10. Microsoft says I can perform the upgrade because in Settings, the System Type is reported as 32-bit Operating System, x64 based processor. I'm waiting to confirm with Panasonic.

Microsoft also says that I shouldn't have to worry about licenses because the "digital entitlement" that was assigned to my PC when my version of Windows 10 was activated is stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers.

stgislander

PREMO Member
No, But you should erase and install
From my initial reading of the Microsoft instructions, it sounds like they take care of all of that. All I have to do is create the install file and backup anything I want to save.

stgislander

PREMO Member
From my initial reading of the Microsoft instructions, it sounds like they take care of all of that. All I have to do is create the install file and backup anything I want to save.
I'm not doing anything though until I hear back from Panasonic. Especially that they have 64-bit drivers for everything.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Hmm . the ' upgrade ' usually maintain installed software and file like any feature upgrade that comes twice a year

I'm not doing anything though until I hear back from Panasonic. Especially that they have 64-bit drivers for everything.

Drivers could be an issue .. are you planing to install more than 4 gb of RAM ? if not don't bother

also the x64 version will not install if the system is not capable

stgislander

PREMO Member
Hmm . the ' upgrade ' usually maintain installed software and file like any feature upgrade that comes twice a year

Drivers could be an issue .. are you planing to install more than 4 gb of RAM ? if not don't bother

also the x64 version will not install if the system is not capable
After I read more, I'm beginning to think the "migration" will need to be a "clean install".

The Toughbook is 64-bit capable and I do plan on running it with more than 4GB RAM.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Panasonic is now saying they only have Windows 7 64-bit drivers for that particular Toughbook. Ugh!!!