Windows 11

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who's upgraded already? What's it like?

I hate getting used to a new interface, plus I have some expensive software that's like 20 years old that I don't want to upgrade nor do I want to lose it.

Grumpy

I hate getting used to a new interface, plus I have some expensive software that's like 20 years old that I don't want to upgrade nor do I want to lose it.
Looked into it but this old computer can't support it..Been thinking of getting a new desktop(hate laptops), this one is 12 years old and has been a champ but beginning to slow down.

DaSDGuy

Just picked up a new desktop from HP that included the Windows 11 upgrade. I figured what the heck, so I did it. Interface is a little different and MS Edge is the only browser preloaded. Added Firefox and Chrome and they seem fine. Still playing but it looks ok so far. Need to download some software I like before I jump all in. Nice machine tho, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD and 2TB hard drive, starts up fast (about 8 seconds cold start to login prompt). More of a business machine than a gamer.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I was working IT, deploying the first Zenith Z248 desktop machines at PAX when the machines we loaded with DOS and Windows 3.1. We had them stored at Pax Self Storage. I remember upgrading machines to Windows for Workgroups and the excitement when we got our hands on the first copy of Windows 95 at PAX to load on our test computer. At the time, 486dx machines where the top of the line and Pentiums were just coming out and we had to wait for our Pentium machine to arrive so we could test Win95. Anyone remember the jokes?

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got

My laptop is running Windows 8.1 currently. I don't have the need for anything offered in newer versions. If you're the type that has to stay up with the latest release just for the sake of being "current", good luck. I'll stick with the known.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My upgrade history

Win 95 to 98SE to 2000 SP4 to XP SP 2 to 7 to 10 ....

I jumped from 95 to 98 SE as soon as it was available, later to 7 while it was still in beta because it was so exciting ... after the Vista Suck and I was ready to get off of XP 64 bit as it had limited support

Cali Transplant

Have boat will travel
I upgraded my gaming laptop a few days ago. The upgrade went quickly (about 30 minutes) and the differences are relatively minor in appearance. Of course, you can customize all visual options to make it look familiar.
I haven't run into ANY problems and all the stuff I had before I upgraded works fine. If your machine meets the specs I'd go ahead and do the upgrade.

DaSDGuy

:sshrug:

Why Upgrade.
From MS: The Windows 10 support lifecycle has a five-year mainstream support phase that began on July 29, 2015, and a second five-year extended support phase that begins in 2020 and extends until October 2025. After that no security updates to Windows 10.

Personally, I upgraded my new machine just to get used to Win11.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I upgraded my gaming laptop a few days ago. The upgrade went quickly (about 30 minutes) and the differences are relatively minor in appearance. Of course, you can customize all visual options to make it look familiar.
I haven't run into ANY problems and all the stuff I had before I upgraded works fine. If your machine meets the specs I'd go ahead and do the upgrade.

Thanks! When I looked at the promo page it indicated that the interface was completely different, which made me say "Ugh."

ginwoman

I was thinking the same thing. Still don't know if I should upgrade.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm waiting until I get a real internet with some download capability before trying it.

One of the best upgrades I've done was to replace the HDD with an NVM drive. Far faster than an SSD drive and very inexpensive. I paid $65 locally. From sleep to login prompt is 3 seconds on a 5 y/o cheap laptop w 4 gig memory.

PSrada

Recently I've upgraded from Windows 10 Home to 11 on my Lenovo laptop. First time it seem laggy and slow but day by day after new updates it become more fast and lag free.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I still have a working Timex-Sinclair 1000, though I am typing this on a Micro$loth WIN10 machine..

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I still have an old 386 8mhz/16mhz switchable with 1mb simms stacked in memory expansion cards (16mb total) and a Macintosh Quadra(?) in the attic to play around with some day...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Looked into it but this old computer can't support it..Been thinking of getting a new desktop(hate laptops), this one is 12 years old and has been a champ but beginning to slow down.
Same here. Tells me everything is OK except my processor. I’m just not willing to part with a solid system, for an OS upgrade.

Plus I’ll wait for the first few service packs to fix the bugs and windows 11 before I bite the bullet on that one.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I still have an old 386 8mhz/16mhz switchable with 1mb simms stacked in memory expansion cards (16mb total) and a Macintosh Quadra(?) in the attic to play around with some day...
I remember building one of those.

installed a Great big Boca memory card that I had to populate with couple of dozen dip chips.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member