Wireless Connection Help

alex

My kid's computer has a D-Link wireless card installed and it was working fine up until last week connecting to my Verizoin Westlink Wireless router/modem. Now it shows that it is receiving a signal but he can not connect to the internet. I don't have a home network where he shares the printer, etc just the internet connection. I have not changed the setup on the router or the connection and my laptop & pda - also wireless still connect just fine.

Since Verizon does not support D-Link I can not get any help from them. Any suggestions on what I should check on this computer? He is running XP with Service Pack 2. I can call Verizon and buy a card that they support but I thought I would ask for some help to see if I can resolve the problem first.

Thanks.

Warron

Can you connect to the router administration screen from that computer? I've had a few hangups like this before. In each case, one computer shows it is connected, and I could connect to the router administration screen, but could not connect to the internet. All I ever had to do is restart the router (unplug for one minute then plug back in) and then restart the computer. I don't know why it happens, but its only about once every 6 months so I'm not too concerned about it.

alex

I can not see the router from his computer. I did try turning the modem off and then on again without any luck. The wireless card is receiving a signal I just can't seem to connect.

mrweb

Iron City
alex said:
I can not see the router from his computer. I did try turning the modem off and then on again without any luck. The wireless card is receiving a signal I just can't seem to connect.

I've heard of this problem before. Two friends of mine have to disconnect the verizon connection, ground the modem for about 10 seconds (stick your finger on the modem side of the connection), hook it back up, turn it on and try it. Worked for my friends. They have to do this about once every week or so.

alex

So do they know why this happens? I find it odd that it was working fine for about 3 months and then BAM - no it doesn't. Could it be the D-Link card? Will it go away if I use the usb adapter verizon offers?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
alex said:
You don't want to turn off the modem.. I had to UNPLUG both the modem and the router from the wall socket and let them sit for about 15 - 30 seconds.. Plug the modem back in first and wait for it to say it's ready, then plug the wireless router back in..

If that doesn't work check the settings on his laptop, maybe even re-install the card.

alex

Okay I don't know what did it but I did unplug the dsl line to the modem, touched the end to ground it, connected it back to the modem, then I unplugged the modem for 10 secs, plugged it back in. Then I went to the windows xp hardware device manager and removed the wireless card, shut down the computer, restarted letting xp find the new hardware. Then DAH DAH I had connection again. We will see how long this lasts.

Many thanks for all of the help.

Steve

Enjoying life!
I'm going to muddy the waters in this thread, because I have a similar problem, actually several problems, and I have not been able to find any solution.

First, if you have a DOCSIS cable modem and connect to GMP Express, Alex, then welcome to my world. We re-power our Motorola cable modem almost daily. GMP says its not on there end and we even bought a newer modem and had the cabling re-routed. But it still does it. Its become routine... But that's just the modem.

Aside from our base computer (the hard-wired one) we have three other wireless computers. All work great, except for one. Our problem computer worked fine since we bought it up until about 3 months ago. Now it doesn't want to stay connected to the wireless network, or more exactly, to the Access Point.

It connects, it oscillates the signal, it drops, it reconnects, etc. I have sat in front of this workstation with a laptop also connected to the same wireless network and the laptop is fine, but the workstation jumps around on connectivity.

I have tried resetting the ARP, the WINSOCK stack, the ipconfig, even the registry. Nothing fixes the problem. I have removed TCP/IP conflict software, done an IP grab, traceroute, ping, you name it. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the Linksys proprietary software and reinstalled it.

Each time, the same result: connectivity that is spotty, and sucky when at best. Does anyone have a clue what is happening?? At this point, I think wiping and restoring factory settings will not clear the problem.

Danzig

Steve, What kind of router do yo have. I had th same problem with GIMP an got rid of my Linksys router and got a Belkin and that fixed it. Itried ALL kinds of things but nothing worked untill the new router.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Danzig said:
Steve, What kind of router do yo have. I had th same problem with GIMP an got rid of my Linksys router and got a Belkin and that fixed it. Itried ALL kinds of things but nothing worked untill the new router.
It's a Linksys. You had the GMP drop problem? Or a problem with one computer not connecting? I'll get a Belkin if that will fix either problem. Thanks!

Danzig

I had both I did all the same stuff you did and more It drove me and a few other guys nuts and the new router fixed it all. i also tried a modem first, and that did not work.

Danzig

I bought the router at Staples and I figured if it was not the problem I would just return it.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Danzig said:
I bought the router at Staples and I figured if it was not the problem I would just return it.
Great! I was hoping you meant that it fixed both. I'll pick one up tonight and see.

alex

Steve - not a GMP customer. I have Verizon DSL which so far has been very reliable. Their customer service and tech support are very good too. Only, they do not support the D-Link wireless card in my son's computer. But it has been working fine so far (fingers crossed).

Steve

Enjoying life!
Danzig, you're best! I installed the Belkin and now my computer (the problem one) is online kicking at 54mbps and an unwavering good signal. I can't believe I spent months working this issue, and I never considered the router! I mean, why should I? Everything else was working fine. Thanks again!!

Warron

I thought my network was messed up after I went out of town for two days last weekend (turning of my modem and router while away) and it wouldn't work when I returned. It turned out that one of my neighbors set up a new network that was using the same channel I normally use. So if you live in an area with several wireless networks around, this is something you need to consider whenever you turn off your wireless signal.

Last edited:

Danzig

Warron said:
I thought my network was messed up after I went out of town for two days last weekend (turning of my modem and router while away) and it wouldn't work when I returned. It turned out that one of my neighbors set up a new network that was using the same channel I normally use. So if you live in an area with several wireless networks around, this is something you need to consider whenever you turn off your wireless signal.
Was it channel 6?

and is your password still admin?