Wireless modem purchase for Metrocast

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
We have Metrocast service and plan to go buy a modem/wireless router unit instead of renting their modem. What do others on here use and how was the initial setup? I'm looking at a Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard

glhs837

Power with Control
I use the version of this that does not have wireless capability and have been happy with it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Went up to Best Buy and got a Belkin dual channel wireless router when they installed mine. Great signal strength, cost about $80. Put the kids stuff on one channel and mine on the other.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
We have Metrocast service and plan to go buy a modem/wireless router unit instead of renting their modem. What do others on here use and how was the initial setup? I'm looking at a Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard

I ordered Comcast Wireless. They ordered three routers for me...Urr...I have no idea and am tired of being on the phone. I have no idea...the guy installed the one he brought with him. I gave one to my son and he sold the other.

I asked the technician what to do with the other two. He told me to send them back and get a refund,

It turns out I am hard-wired but have wireless. WTH?

Internet works. :dye:

The units I received were zyxel wireless n router 150mbps 2.4 ghz.

Son says his works great.

SoMdDude

What ever you get, you have to call your cable company to set it up and give them the mac ID# and the customer ID # off the back, doesnt take very long

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
What ever you get, you have to call your cable company to set it up and give them the mac ID# and the customer ID # off the back, doesnt take very long

I just plugged mine into their modem and set up all my devices (laptop/PS-3/etc)

Also got a couple of power line network adapters, works much better for a desktop at the far end of the house than a WiFi adapter

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Aps, you're completely missing the point of the thread. The point is to buy the cable modem so you aren't paying to rent theirs.

You also have to pay to rent a wireless router if you want WiFi in addition to their modem

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

It appears the Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580 is a compatible unit and works well;

This helps too, so it's as simple as a phone call and giving them a few numbers?

Our internet service has been great with them, I'm hoping that buying my own modem doesn't change that

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
You also have to pay to rent a wireless router if you want WiFi in addition to their modem

I already have a wireless router and here's what brought on the "buying our own modem/wireless router combo"; just found out yesterday that my daughter goes up to Panera Bread to use her laptop or waits for Elmo to quit playing his XBox....WTF, I didn't know this. Figured we'd go by a new combo, turn in our modem to Metrocast and take our present router over to her house and hook it up for her.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't rent anything from Metrocast. I own a Motorola Surfboard SB4200 modem and a Cisco Linksys wireless router that work great.

merc669

Wrong answer.....

I have the same Modem as somdfunguy and a Amped Wireless Router and no rental charges. Just the 49 a month plus tax and the additional federal charges....

somdfunguy

not impressed
Wrong answer.....

I have the same Modem as somdfunguy and a Amped Wireless Router and no rental charges. Just the 49 a month plus tax and the additional federal charges....

I don't have that modem/router combo. I prefer to keep my devices separate. I do recommend that model if the desire is a combo.

SoMdDude

It appears the Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580 is a compatible unit and works well;

This helps too, so it's as simple as a phone call and giving them a few numbers?

Our internet service has been great with them, I'm hoping that buying my own modem doesn't change that

Yea, when I had comcast I bought my own modem, almost the same exact model and had to give them that info when I plugged the new one I bought in.. w/o that info your internet will not work. Buy the new one and plug it in and see for yourself.... w/o the mac & customer #'s, your new modem will not be able to "talk" to metrocast more than likely.