Wish we had a Home Depot or Menards

PeoplesElbow

Because Lowes has been pissing me off, been having to drag a cart of mulch, soil and rock through the store only to stand in line because they only have two checkouts open.

Why do they close the lawn and garden register so early?

willie

Because Lowes has been pissing me off, been having to drag a cart of mulch, soil and rock through the store only to stand in line because they only have two checkouts open.

Why do they close the lawn and garden register so early?
I attempted to get an 80v battery there yesterday. There was only one checkout at that time and it was backed up forever. I went home and ordered it online. It is a Kobalt battery so I'm stuck with Lowe's. The military discount was the only thing keeping me at Lowe's but anymore it isn't worth the hassle. Sneads gets my business.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Home Depot is no different.

I would think all you guys who talk the talk about "buying local" would patronize the local guy instead of the big box chain. I mean Christ, every hardware has piles of bagged mulch and nurseries sell it by the truck load. At least that's what y'all always say you'll do except, at the end of the day, you don't.

But, that lets you bitch about how there aren't any locally owned businesses. That runs the gamut from restaurants to what used to be local pharmacies to groceries to car dealers to insert a business here.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

I would think all you guys who talk the talk about "buying local" would patronize the local guy instead of the big box chain. I mean Christ, every hardware has piles of bagged mulch and nurseries sell it by the truck load. At least that's what y'all always say you'll do except, at the end of the day, you don't.

But, that lets you bitch about how there aren't any locally owned businesses. That runs the gamut from restaurants to what used to be local pharmacies to groceries to car dealers to insert a business here.

Locally owned and operated pet supply stores. It is soooo easy and convenient to order online from chewy. I think the other big box stores offer free shipping as well.
Pepper's Pet Pantry will be closing at the end of the year. We don't get a break in pricing, try to keep our pricing low but in the end , we just cannot compete. We cannot afford to send roses when a pet dies (but do send sympathy cards). We know most of our customers by name, have knowledgeable and friendly staff, have offered manufacturers frequent buyer programs and coupons but in the end, there are only a small amount of people that support us. We try to stock American made products like cat trees and toys and food. We support other small businesses. And Covid- despite offering curbside pickup, we just never bounced back.
With the exception of a recent high school grad, everyone that works with and for me have been at Pepper's for over two years. They are all sad to see the store close but understand.
At 61, I am excited to retire (or semi retire) but sad to close the business I started in 2002.

PeoplesElbow

The reason I shop at big box stores are the hours, no local business is open at 8PM, the selection, who can beat buying a lawnmower, underwear, a case of diet Pepsi, and a baked chicken in a single stop?

I shop local when I need something specific, last night I needed some cheap dirt to fill holes left from grinding stumps and wanted some mums.

This place not having a real downtown hurts small businesses, who wants to drive 30 minutes to Leonardtown to buy dogfood?

My hometown is 8000 people and manages to support big box stores and a ton of small stores.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The reason I shop at big box stores are the hours, no local business is open at 8PM, the selection, who can beat buying a lawnmower, underwear, a case of diet Pepsi, and a baked chicken in a single stop?

I shop local when I need something specific, last night I needed some cheap dirt to fill holes left from grinding stumps and wanted some mums.

This place not having a real downtown hurts small businesses, who wants to drive 30 minutes to Leonardtown to buy dogfood?

My hometown is 8000 people and manages to support big box stores and a ton of small stores.
Ummm, Leonardtown is the "downtown". Just like all places that had a central town where the stores were. What you have at The Reserve at Constipated Goose Landing isn't a town but a housing development.

PeoplesElbow

Ummm, Leonardtown is the "downtown". Just like all places that had a central town where the stores were. What you have at The Reserve at Constipated Goose Landing isn't a town but a housing development.
It's also a 30 minute drive, most places that aren't Maryland have little towns all over the place.

Like I said my hometown has 8k people, there are towns of 20k about 10 minutes away, another 5k town about 15 mins away etc. These towns are separated by interstate and nothing but woods. People that live in those towns go to school in their town and shop at local buisnesses.

I call Maryland Gererica because it's mostly just suburban sprawl

PJay

Locally owned and operated pet supply stores. It is soooo easy and convenient to order online from chewy. I think the other big box stores offer free shipping as well.
Pepper's Pet Pantry will be closing at the end of the year. We don't get a break in pricing, try to keep our pricing low but in the end , we just cannot compete. We cannot afford to send roses when a pet dies (but do send sympathy cards). We know most of our customers by name, have knowledgeable and friendly staff, have offered manufacturers frequent buyer programs and coupons but in the end, there are only a small amount of people that support us. We try to stock American made products like cat trees and toys and food. We support other small businesses. And Covid- despite offering curbside pickup, we just never bounced back.
With the exception of a recent high school grad, everyone that works with and for me have been at Pepper's for over two years. They are all sad to see the store close but understand.
At 61, I am excited to retire (or semi retire) but sad to close the business I started in 2002.

Oh wow. Many hugs your way..

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
(respectful snip)
I'm still grateful for when you helped me with a nutritional supplement for Miss Teia.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It's also a 30 minute drive, most places that aren't Maryland have little towns all over the place.

Like I said my hometown has 8k people, there are towns of 20k about 10 minutes away, another 5k town about 15 mins away etc. These towns are separated by interstate and nothing but woods. People that live in those towns go to school in their town and shop at local buisnesses.

I call Maryland Gererica because it's mostly just suburban sprawl
Maryland does have "little towns all over the place". I know of no rural area where you don't have to drive to go to the store. Sometimes more than a half an hour. But the little towns here have bought into the State's line of having shoppes to attract tourism so the products many carry have no relation to what the residents want or need.

What it doesn't have is people that don't denigrate and deride any business that isn't a chain.
C'mon, look how all of you cream your jeans when a Ruby Tuesday's opens up. I was afraid some of you were going to throw up when the Prince Frederick Chik-Fil-A opened you got so excited.

PeoplesElbow

People probably think I'm a chain lover, not really, these are my favorite places to eat most are one of a few very regional. No particular order. Notice only one is in southern Maryland. There are too many good jobs here to get decent people that work in the food service industry, what is left is usually the bottom of the barrel.