Wolf spider - Don't let Vrai see this

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Wolf spiders are members of the family Lycosidae, from the Ancient Greek word "λύκος" meaning "wolf". They are robust and agile hunters with excellent eyesight. Flashing a beam of light over the spider produces eyeshine. The light from the flashlight has been reflected fromthe spider's eyes directly back toward its source, producing a "glow" that is easily noticed.

littlelady

God bless the USA

:lol: Don’t tell Vrai, but I let them out. :lol: And, that is a baby compared to what I have encountered. I use a container to capture them, and slide a stiff card under that, open the door, and let them out. Live and let live. Oh, and yeah, I am not afraid of anything. Last week, I got ready to cook corn on the cob, and found a worm in one. I let the worm out, and threw the rotten corn in recycle. My dot knows me so well, and said...of course you did.

A brown recluse, or black widow Is a different story. I have encountered them, and they didn’t live. It makes me sad when I have to kill anything. Some copperheads lost their lives, too, in Calvert. 😥

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, love my wolf spider buddies. Let one keep the mechanical room bug free for months til the wife made me evict him.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This is not to get anyone worked up but since you are in AZ have you guys taken a portable blacklight out at night to light up scorpions?

Someone I knew told me about that some years ago but never traveled anywhere I could try it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This is not to get anyone worked up but since you are in AZ have you guys taken a portable blacklight out at night to light up scorpions?

Someone I knew told me about that some years ago but never traveled anywhere I could try it.
Scorpions are pretty cool. 🦂

glhs837

Power with Control
I just use a shop vac. Works great on flies and wasps too.

Wife has a Bissel stick vac, it's pretty cool. Since it has a clear canister that ops right out, I can catch and reselase with it pretty easy.

Oh, man, I was hoping you wouldn't go there, now Vrias gonna get a blacklight headlamp and will never take it off/

General Lee

If you go out at night and shine a flashlight on the ground out in front of you, (scan the area) you can easily see their eyes reflecting in the light. You'd be surprised how many spiders are out there at night. Mainly wolf spiders.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you go out at night and shine a flashlight on the ground out in front of you, (scan the area) you can easily see their eyes reflecting in the light. You'd be surprised how many spiders are out there at night. Mainly wolf spiders.

That is how this thread came about. Last night we were walking the dog and Monello was in charge of the flashlight. He said, "Oh look, spiders!" And I was like, "Where?" And he said, "There - see their eyes shining in the light?"

There was some "nuh uh" and "yes - see?" back and forth until he convinced me that I should run back inside and never leave the motorhome again after dark.

nobody really

I need a nap
o
I did that when my step son was in scouts. Held a mag light to the end of my nose. All kinds of eyes out there. Last night camping outside.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I saw about 2 dozen sets of eyes last night along the outer fence of the campground. But when I would try to point them out, the buggers would scoot back in their holes. Making it look like I made the whole thing up. Their eyes look like holograms they are so bright.

Fishing in saltwater at night, some places you can see the jellyfish emit some sort of light. Mostly when they get churned up by the prop.

I saw about 2 dozen sets of eyes last night along the outer fence of the campground. But when I would try to point them out, the buggers would scoot back in their holes. Making it look like I made the whole thing up. Their eyes look like holograms they are so bright.
And..... what were you drinking? :otter: