Woman vanishes on cross country trip

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I think it's hard for people that live on the east coast and mid America to comprehend how vast some of the wilderness areas are in the general Rocky Mountain area. It's even worse if you go off trail. Yellowstone National Park is 2.2 million acres alone. The Grand Tetons are only about 40 miles or so from Yellowstone. And those 40 miles are mostly wooded wilderness.

Even people out hiking that get any incapacitating injury face possible death without intervention. Summertime, the night lows are in the 40s. Then add in the huge number of predator animals out looking for an easy meal. Bears will often cache any excess food by burying it so they can come back and eat it later.

Speaking from experience, it takes a unique personality to be able to live in close quarters with someone for weeks at a time. They were a few months into their trip. From what I saw on the police body cam, those 2 weren't good candidates for that type of living. The closeness will expose the relationship weaknesses quickly. Once the pressure built, it seemed like they weren't able to diffuse the situation and their coping techniques only made it worse.

So to imagine that at some point he got fed up with her nonsense. Convinced her to go on a hike. Somehow incapacited her. Then left her someplace he felt confident she would never be found. Because until there's a body, she's a missing person. It isn't a crime to refuse to talk to the police. But if her body is found, then I think it will be game over for him.

Reactions: BOP

black dog

Free America
I think it's hard for people that live on the east coast and mid America to comprehend how vast some of the wilderness areas are in the general Rocky Mountain area. It's even worse if you go off trail. Yellowstone National Park is 2.2 million acres alone. The Grand Tetons are only about 40 miles or so from Yellowstone. And those 40 miles are mostly wooded wilderness.

Even people out hiking that get any incapacitating injury face possible death without intervention. Summertime, the night lows are in the 40s. Then add in the huge number of predator animals out looking for an easy meal. Bears will often cache any excess food by burying it so they can come back and eat it later.

Speaking from experience, it takes a unique personality to be able to live in close quarters with someone for weeks at a time. They were a few months into their trip. From what I saw on the police body cam, those 2 weren't good candidates for that type of living. The closeness will expose the relationship weaknesses quickly. Once the pressure built, it seemed like they weren't able to diffuse the situation and their coping techniques only made it worse.

You bet, great analogy. And I give you two credit for living so close for the time you all have done it.
I couldn't do it, or it would end up being a offshore midget toss overboard...

Folks ask me when I go sailing for extended amounts of time why I go by myself.
I answer, the thought of a partner/spouse trying to talk me onto staying somewhere shorter/longer or going/ not going somewhere doesn't interest me at all. I can hang on a hook reading, diving and fishing for weeks without the need for people...

A few weeks with friends or the bestie, not a problem. Then its time for your ass to get on a plane.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My theroy is that since neither of them have any visible means of support, they were robbing people and perhaps killing them. The girl got scared and wanted to turn herself in, and the guy killed her. He drove home and told his parents what happened, and they circled the wagons.

If he just got tired of her drama, there are less complicated ways to end a relationship.

My alternate theroy is that he accidentally killed her and isn't smart enough to get in front of it and take his chances with the law. Perhaps he panicked, but he had an awful lot of time to calm down and formulate a plan on the drive from Utah to North Port, FL. The plan he chose is probably the worst one he could have come up with, which is why I'm thinking he's not real bright nor are his parents.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I would not be surprised to see the cops find ties from him to the other two women killed in that area and use that to arrest.

Reactions: BOP

Dakota

~~~~~~~
BREAKING: Atty for Brian Laundrie “Be advised that the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie are currently unknown. The FBI is currently at the Laundrie residence removing property to assist in locating Brian. As of now the FBI is now looking for both Gabby and Brian.”
@CBSNewYork

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BREAKING: Atty for Brian Laundrie “Be advised that the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie are currently unknown. The FBI is currently at the Laundrie residence removing property to assist in locating Brian. As of now the FBI is now looking for both Gabby and Brian.”
@CBSNewYork

:lmao:

OMG, this story..... :roflmao:

That's why we're all so fascinated - it's like a soap opera.

Monello

PREMO Member
More info. Some observations by someone who interacted with them on the road. Of course this guy could be an attention whore and is making all of this up.

Jaye Foster, an Alabaman who is traveling the U.S. in his own customized Volkswagen bus, met Gabby and Laundrie near Moab, Utah, on Aug. 10. The three of them chatted for about 40 minutes, discussing the modifications they had made to their vans.
“They were holding hands, they were ecstatic about their rebuild,” Foster told The Daily Beast from a rest stop in California. “That’s what I find so weird about the whole situation, is that they were both really cool. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong whatsoever.”

Laundrie had done most of the mechanical work on their van, and Gabby had refurbished the interior, according to Foster, who said he enjoyed comparing tattoos with Gabby. When Laundrie asked Foster if he’d like to have a skateboard he no longer needed, Foster eagerly accepted.

“He said, ‘Here, I’m not gonna be needing two of these,’” Foster recalled, adding that Gabby and Laundrie said they were headed to Yellowstone next.

Foster and his girlfriend then set off on a hike to the 52-foot Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.

“They were happy to show off their van, happy to show off their travel map, she was so proud of the sink she had put in,” said Foster. “She was such a cool person. He was too. That’s what’s freaking me out. They seemed totally fine. What sucks is that I couldn’t see him doing anything like that. It’s crazy as hell. It really, really is.”

‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back. - Next Gen News

Monello

PREMO Member
I think it is safe to assume they never made it to Yosemite. I say that because supposedly 1 of the final text to her mom was that they made it to Yosemite.