Women beggars at 235/rt4

frequentflier

happy to be living
A few days ago I noticed one and today I saw two of them. One southbound on 4 and she was approaching cars in the turning lanes. The other was on the west bound lanes. The SB had one that her sign said "lost job, have children God bless you (and where are these children while you're out pan handling??)
Did I mention they are both in long dresses and have head and hair covering draped around their necks- I think they are called burkas? Asian Indians? I wonder if these are the same women that were pimping their kids out at shopping centers last summer with fake violin music?

L'Town.girl

It's gotten bad around here. Last weekend across from Harris teeter, some older fella with a sign ( he's there every weekend) waving, with a sign saying he's "hungery". I sat at light across the street. A nice lady handed him food as she drove by. After all passed, he looked around and dumped the food on the ground. Then waited for the next red light. Maybe he planned to graze later.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've noticed quite a few also. 235/4 intersection and one in the parking lot across from McDonald's.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I was on both roads today and didn't notice them. Maybe it was the time, about 1:30 (ok, 1330 for those of you on a 24 hour clock).

UglyBear

Did I mention they are both in long dresses and have head and hair covering draped around their necks- I think they are called burkas? Asian Indians? I wonder if these are the same women that were pimping their kids out at shopping centers last summer
Most likely gypsies (or Romani to be PC). They usually dress middle-easterny and are of darker complexion, having origin in North India.
Begging, pumping out children, pretending to be whatever is the tear-jerker population du jour.
They will cry, pretend to be disabled, then get into a Mercedes SUV and drive to their mansion.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Most likely gypsies (or Romani to be PC). They usually dress middle-easterny and are of darker complexion, having origin in North India.
Begging, pumping out children, pretending to be whatever is the tear-jerker population du jour.
They will cry, pretend to be disabled, then get into a Mercedes SUV and drive to their mansion.
Sure sounds like this. Saw this all over Europe near all the train stations. Little kids pick pocketing while the adults panhandle.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
There is a guy on Allentown Rd nearly every day out wearing a suit talking to people in cars stopped at the light. Not sure if he's selling something or begging for money but he's definitely dressed well for whatever he's doing.

SamSpade

When I can - if someone is begging because they are hungry - I give them food. But that is usually not the case.

My son was with me one day when a man said he needed money to buy milk for his children. Ok, milk is usually just around 3 bucks or more a gallon - so I bought milk in the store. He was gone by the time I came out. I now had an extra gallon of milk.

My son is a LITTLE naive, and said something like someone must have bought him milk already. I told him if he needed milk, he could have asked for it son. He wanted money, and must have guessed "milk for my children" would evoke enough sympathy.

So he asked why he didn't do that. He wanted money, son. The milk thing was a lie. And while I don't want to enable someone who is panhandling, I'm certainly not going to help someone who lies to me, because it means they can't be trusted at all.

1stGenSMIB

I am sure they make way more money (tax free I might add) standing on the corner panhandling than they could at Target/BJ's/Walmart, that are all hiring! Those long dresses and head coverings are probably hiding their regular street clothes and long blonde hair, so that you don't recognize them when they are picking up their groceries an hour later at the Harris Teeter, or that $10 latte at Starbucks with all that cash. :mad:

SamSpade

I am sure they make way more money (tax free I might add) standing on the corner panhandling than they could at Target/BJ's/Walmart, that are all hiring! Those long dresses and head coverings are probably hiding their regular street clothes and long blonde hair, so that you don't recognize them when they are picking up their groceries an hour later at the Harris Teeter, or that $10 latte at Starbucks with all that cash. :mad:
I've seen all sorts of panhandlers. Some are damned frauds - if you find a REALLY GOOD location, you can easily make several hundred a day, cash. A guy from my Dad's church once tried to raise money by standing at a turn lane divider with just a sign saying "Missions". He made 700 bucks. And they didn't even know it was for his church.

Others, I've seen, are legitimate. I was once up in Boston near the Common, and there was a guy outside the Burger King. It was winter, so he'd go inside, and another guy from his group would take his place on the corner while the others got warm. When they had enough money, they'd all eat there (which is why BK didn't shoo them away).

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I refuse to give money to these people. There are jobs everywhere, businesses are hurting for help.

I'll admit I did give a 20 to a dude in DC begging recently, he was wearing a Pats Gronkowski jersey (I'm a Masshole). I was in a good mood that day and yelled Yo Gonk, gave him the 20 and he danced and praised the lord in the middle of the street. I'm sure he headed right to the liquor store or dealer after...

GopherM

Darwin was right
When I can - if someone is begging because they are hungry - I give them food. But that is usually not the case.

My son was with me one day when a man said he needed money to buy milk for his children. Ok, milk is usually just around 3 bucks or more a gallon - so I bought milk in the store. He was gone by the time I came out. I now had an extra gallon of milk.

My son is a LITTLE naive, and said something like someone must have bought him milk already. I told him if he needed milk, he could have asked for it son. He wanted money, and must have guessed "milk for my children" would evoke enough sympathy.

So he asked why he didn't do that. He wanted money, son. The milk thing was a lie. And while I don't want to enable someone who is panhandling, I'm certainly not going to help someone who lies to me, because it means they can't be trusted at all.

I had a woman here approach me as I was loading the car at the grocery store and tell me she hadn't eaten in two days. She wanted to know if I could give her some money so she could get something. I told her I wouldn't give her money but I would buy her something to eat. She told me to F myself and wandered off to a new mark.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I had a woman here approach me as I was loading the car at the grocery store and tell me she hadn't eaten in two days. She wanted to know if I could give her some money so she could get something. I told her I wouldn't give her money but I would buy her something to eat. She told me to F myself and wandered off to a new mark.
With a retort such as that, should a replied, 'Got a condom? I'll give ya a $20, but ya gotta earn it.'