Women in Country Music

stgislander

PREMO Member
Interesting. Can't say I listen to Country radio, but my old barbershop at CMT on the television all the time. Seemed like the majority of the videos being played were women artists.

Auntie Biache'

Interesting. Can't say I listen to Country radio, but my old barbershop at CMT on the television all the time. Seemed like the majority of the videos being played were women artists.

I think the real issue is "I want you to play my country music, even if it doesn't really sound like country music, because I need to fit in somewhere". I've seen too many "pop" artists in recent years trying to call what they do "country". That ain't the way it works.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I think the real issue is "I want you to play my country music, even if it doesn't really sound like country music, because I need to fit in somewhere". I've seen too many "pop" artists in recent years trying to call what they do "country". That ain't the way it works.
But is that only a "women" thing? Maybe I don't understand, but aren't there just as many men crossing over to where county and pop sound interchangeable?

Auntie Biache'

I don't know, but women certainly stand out, at least to me. I don't think an industry should be held responsible for what the consumer wants, and buys. To me, if you're good, you'll make it. Whether it's country, pop, rock, metal....if you're not good, you won't make it anywhere, and no amount of finger pointing and "us vs them" accusations will make the audience like you more. If you fit, you'll fall into place. If you don't fit, well, you're barking up the wrong tree.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I like listening to Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius XM. Lots of good old country music with some of the best female country artists that really helped found what Country music was all about.

Auntie Biache'

I like listening to Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius XM. Lots of good old country music with some of the best female country artists that really helped found what Country music was all about.

In the interview, the woman was talking about a country music station on Sirius, said it was the no 1 country station on the country. I wonder if that's it?

And see, that's another thing, even in the interview they were saying that this just all started happening in the last 10 years or so. That women in the previous years had didn't have as much difficulty breaking through. We're still listening to these women on the radio today. Maybe, just maybe, the men who already pull the strings in Nashville are playing it safe because so many women have gone off the deep end with the whole "metoo", and false accusations. Why the hell would any man want to work with someone that might stab 'em in the back, given a chance. These women might want to think about what the real problem might be, and they might find it in the mirror.