Women should work out like men..

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
So I used to be a dancer, and had a great body..now not so much..not really fat..but all my hard earned muscle is gone..I worked with a trainer in college..who gave me a typical "women's" program...cardio..and light weights on the machines with higher reps..I didn't get results..nothing like I was looking for anyway. well now I have been doing research on my own..turns out..women need to work out just like men! challenging weights in the 8-12 rep range. this turns on its head all the ridiculous Cosmo workout regimes they give you..
thought I would share because many of my friends are running into this problem... so now I am ready to start..I think I may use bodybuilding.com's 12 week program...unless anyone has any other program to suggest?

warneckutz

So I used to be a dancer, and had a great body..now not so much..not really fat..but all my hard earned muscle is gone..I worked with a trainer in college..who gave me a typical "women's" program...cardio..and light weights on the machines with higher reps..I didn't get results..nothing like I was looking for anyway. well now I have been doing research on my own..turns out..women need to work out just like men! challenging weights in the 8-12 rep range. this turns on its head all the ridiculous Cosmo workout regimes they give you..
thought I would share because many of my friends are running into this problem... so now I am ready to start..I think I may use bodybuilding.com's 12 week program...unless anyone has any other program to suggest?

:yay:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I followed Arnold's workout for a couple years and I had my body fat down to 7 percent and was ripped. Had to give it up because the husband got mad, to him, the farm chores were'n't beeing done on time and I was gone too much. Truth is that I needed a couple of hours to myself every day and the gym had child care for my three. I didn't have a babysitter so it was a little luxury that I looked forward to every day. I still have some of the muscle from working on the farm but my body fat has gone way up since then. I have a gym in my basement but ususally stay so busy with the farm that I don't take the time to workout anymore. Maybe I will get back into it since I only have one kid at home now.

B

Big Fatty

Get these.

Elite Fitness Systems

Amazon.com: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess (9781583332948): Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove: Books

You are correct. Women do not need to train differently than men. I got my wife on board this way of thinking long ago. She has had a child and has gotten back better than she was before. She trains hard and heavy. I was looking for ideas for different programming plans and Alwyn Cosgrove really lays out a nice approach. Buy his book. It will not fail you.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Get these.

Elite Fitness Systems

Amazon.com: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess (9781583332948): Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove: Books

You are correct. Women do not need to train differently than men. I got my wife on board this way of thinking long ago. She has had a child and has gotten back better than she was before. She trains hard and heavy. I was looking for ideas for different programming plans and Alwyn Cosgrove really lays out a nice approach. Buy his book. It will not fail you.

thanks! those look like the kind of guidance i was looking for..i need to rethink what ive been doing in the gym for so long!

B

Big Fatty

thanks! those look like the kind of guidance i was looking for..i need to rethink what ive been doing in the gym for so long!

All that matters are results. Anything can work for you. Nothing can work forever. When its not working anymore, change it up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
So a few days into my new program...already lost two pounds..bodybuilding.com has profiles of people and what they eat..ive been using that for ideas..cut out lots of carbs..added whey protein..etc... and started lifting with my new "attitude" oh boy. I know this is different already..i am sore the next day like I never was with lifting before. I am a total weakling though..I mean..i was doin dumbell benchpresses (my neighborhood gym has no barbell ) with like 15 pound dumbells :( made me feel like a total wimp. I mean..if I was using a barbell..thats not even the darn bar! Though I think I could have done a little more..but not quite 20..like 18..lol. anyway..ive discovered deadlifts...those are great! the soreness make me have great posture...need to join a gym soon to get better equipment..but i want to not look so awkward b4 I go..but so far i am really enjoying myself...

i was wondering though...I started High intensity intervals a few weeks ago..and was doing what my doc suggested...30 sec High...and a minute or a minute and a half "rest" I saw online that some suggested a 15 sec high period and like 45 sec "rest" i have tried them both and find i can do way more cycles with the second version...and my total workout time is longer... with the first way I can only do about 4 or 5 cycles...workout time total is shorter..anyone know which one is more effective?

MK just got another bad report from the doctor. High cholesterol AND high BP now. He's gonna be skinny before long because he's not allowed to get old and sick on me! :tantrum

Psst... you can be skinny and still have High cholesterol AND high BP... tell him to stop licking off your homemade body/face creams and that might be a start towards a cure...:lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Psst... you can be skinny and still have High cholesterol AND high BP... tell him to stop licking off your homemade body/face creams and that might be a start towards a cure...:lol:

Never! :war:

But maybe he should start listening to me about eating properly..... And he'll have to stop drinking the boiled peanut juice.

Vince

Not overweight and I have high blood pressure due to stress. High cholesterol can be heriditary. My mother was a skinny thing of 5' nothing and had a cholesterol of 400. Had to take medication just to get it under 200. I have to watch everything I eat just to keep it under 200.