Women with Stringed Instruments

BOP

Who aren't afraid to use them! Kyung Wha Chung

Kyung Wha Chung plays Bach. Even with the poor sound quality, it still gives me chills. Also, you don't hear the harpsichord much any more. Gives an interesting sound without sounding too overwhelmingly baroque.

If this doesn't give you chills:

Last edited:

BOP

Sarah Chang's interpretation of "Four Seasons." Note that she doesn't use stop time as dramatically as Ms Chung.

BOP

Hilary Hahn. She's primarily a soloist, which is my preference for listening to the violin, but she also does chamber music as well. I've been following her website, where she posts from the road on her travels, since...I forget. The late '90s, I think. She's one of the earliest musicians to do that, long before twitter came along. One of her great quotes about classical music is that "...classical-music admirers 'make it hard for people who are just coming in. I think that if people show up in jeans and chains, it's great that all parts of culture are interested in music. People forget sometimes that it's about the music, not how you act and dress.'"

BOP

Leila Josefowicz.

I'm thinking she's about the same age as Hilary Hahn is now. In this performance, she's just 13, but the strength and maturity she displays is astounding. Like Hilary's piece above, this one is also Paganiniana.

I haven't seen a concert performance by Leila at her current age, but this one is more current than the last.

Also, I'd recommend "Violin for Anne Rice," by Josefowicz.

BOP

Bond. I've been a fan since they formed and nobody had heard of them. A lot of people still haven't.

BOP

The Corrs. I've been a fan since their first album (Forgiven, Not Forgotten), but haven't listened to them a lot lately. Not strictly a string thing, though sister Sharon plays a mean fiddle.

Another fun song:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Cool stuff BOP. :yay:

One of my favorites is Regina Carter. I love this piece - who would have thought of combining violin, accordian, and the kora? I think it's an absolutely stunning combo:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Bond. I've been a fan since they formed and nobody had heard of them. A lot of people still haven't.

Glad to see that you're finally getting some electrics in there. Love Vanessa Mae, but some of her video's are kind of wierd. Have you seen anything by Sarina Suno?

BOP

Cool stuff BOP. :yay:

One of my favorites is Regina Carter. I love this piece - who would have thought of combining violin, accordian, and the kora? I think it's an absolutely stunning combo:

That was pretty amazing. Even more so that no one instrument was dominating the others.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Leila Josefowicz.

I'm thinking she's about the same age as Hilary Hahn is now. In this performance, she's just 13, but the strength and maturity she displays is astounding. Like Hilary's piece above, this one is also Paganiniana.

This made me cry.

BOP

I've posted Vika elsewhere, but she's so dang good, she bears reposting.

Stairway to Heaven, just because it's one of my all-time favorites.

Just for a contrast, Highway to Hell.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, BOP may have posted this before, but this is a young lady with a stringed instrument.