Wondering

B

Bronwyn

A friend of mine has a teenage daughter that has a quirk I am trying to figure out. I have seen it once before in a co-worker at pax years ago, but hers is not as severe.

When she gets over excited, she shakes for a moment and her hands always go up to her face as her body tenses. It happens so quick, that if you didn't see it more than once, you would think she was just covering her face with her hands for a second.

Anyone know what causes this? Or what it is called?

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
A friend of mine has a teenage daughter that has a quirk I am trying to figure out. I have seen it once before in a co-worker at pax years ago, but hers is not as severe.

When she gets over excited, she shakes for a moment and her hands always go up to her face as her body tenses. It happens so quick, that if you didn't see it more than once, you would think she was just covering her face with her hands for a second.

Anyone know what causes this? Or what it is called?

Crack

B

Bronwyn

It's referred to as a "tick".

My brother has a "tick" or nervous "twitch", something like a rabit twitching it's nose. :lmao:

It just seemed that hers was different. Her whole body tenses up, and her face grimaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMC122

Go Braves!
My brother has a "tick" or nervous "twitch", something like a rabit twitching it's nose. "lmao:

It just seemed that hers was different. Her whole body tenses up, and her face grimaces.
There are lots of different kinds of ticks. I'm not an expert or saying she has this but research Turrets and you'll see there are lots of different kinds of ticks. AGAIN not saying she has Turrets but that's the easiest subject to look up and see all the ticks people complain of:yay:

B

Bronwyn

There are lots of different kinds of ticks. I'm not an expert or saying she has this but research Turrets and you'll see there are lots of different kinds of ticks. AGAIN not saying she has Turrets but that's the easiest subject to look up and see all the ticks people complain of:yay:

Thanks, at least that is a starting point.
I wonder what causes people to pick up a tick or twitch. My brother didn't pick his up until he was an adult.

B

Bronwyn

Interesting in my search under the word twitch.

Ways to reduce the possibilty and duration are to limit caffeine consumption, repetitve deprivation of sleep, stress and overuse of stimulants.

Wonder if all the soda she drinks might be linked. Hmmm.

B

Bronwyn

Crystal Meth.......:cool:

:smack: NO DRUGS!!

:drama:

Oh, more interesting info...

Neurotic twitching is involuntary muscles spasms. They can occur in any part of the body including the face. The twitching may be brief or repetitive. They often occur with certain psychiatric problems such as Tourette's syndrome or anxiety disorders.

B

Bronwyn

Interesting Idea

One popular misconception being propogated through society at the moment is the statement that various conditions that are labelled as disorders are chemical in nature. Things like OCD, ADHD, and numerous others.

They are based on observations only and there are no scientific tests to confirm the presence or absence of chemicals in the brain as being the cause.

The intention however is to be able to say "we have a drug that will help you" and therefore increase profits of the pharmacuitical companies.

Diseases can be shown clinically to be present by various tests. There are no tests to show such things as neurotic twitching so it is therefore not a disease.

The presence of chemicals in the brain when someone experiences an emotional state is looked at in reverse. The emotional state is creating the chemicals not the other way round.

To say otherwise would be to say that when someone has a red face and high blood pressure they are going to feel angry. No, the feeling of anger is what causes the red face and the high blood pressure.

So to then try and handle someones blood pressure with drugs rather than dealing with the anger is to say the least putting the cart before the horse ie backwards.

To look at the real cause of the disorder one must look to the mind. Specifically the reactive part of the mind. When this is understood one can then see there is something that can be done about about unwanted feelings, emotions, habits , twitches and a whole host of other forms of behaviour that isn't generally understood.

The book "Dianetics the modern science of mental health" explains the whole thing in full and gives workable techniques to eradicating these unwanted conditions.

One thing I can suggest as an exercise which may sound a bit odd is rather than trying to stop the twitching or whatever, try to do it causitively.

See if you can twitch faster or slower or if it happens only on the right side try to make it twitch on the left side. By taking over control of the twitch very often the person finds that the mental circuit that is creating it can lose its control and often disappear.