Wood Pelleted Bedding

fredsaid2

Who here has used Woody Pet or the like as their sole bedding? Have you done it by the manufacturer's directions, not removing the wet spots and mixing them in the dry bedding? How has it worked for you?

I’ve used it before, mixed w/ regular sawdust, and found it really dusty. I now only use it for wet spots. I’d never really bothered w/ the directions. Now that I’ve read more I wonder if it might be worth another try. I think it goes against the grain NOT to remove the wet, guess that’s why I had the dust. Wondering what the local experience has been?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Well, my situation with it is certainly not normal. I use Equine Fresh ( Equine Fresh: Horse Bedding, Animal Bedding, Equine Bedding ) in my stall/run-in that floods. So, I totally empty the stall and then put in a couple bags of equine fresh. I do not wet it down as the package says. First rain comes in the stall floods and the pellets soak up the water and turn into sawdust. This means that the bedding in that stall lasts twice as long as it normally would.

We were stupid and bulit this building down a hill, duh! Hindsight is 20/20, right?

EquinePlanner

Well, my situation with it is certainly not normal. I use Equine Fresh ( Equine Fresh: Horse Bedding, Animal Bedding, Equine Bedding ) in my stall/run-in that floods. So, I totally empty the stall and then put in a couple bags of equine fresh. I do not wet it down as the package says. First rain comes in the stall floods and the pellets soak up the water and turn into sawdust. This means that the bedding in that stall lasts twice as long as it normally would.

We were stupid and bulit this building down a hill, duh! Hindsight is 20/20, right?
Phyxius, I can help you with water runoff and soil erosion problems. There is cost share available for that. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I used it when I lived down in Nanjemoy and liked it. I did follow the label instructions and would only start to remove wet bedding when it got *really* wet. Otherwise, it didn't smell and worked pretty well.

fredsaid2

Sometimes you have to work w/ what you have. We are wondrously perfect...in hindsight. :biggrin:

I'm going to give them a try. Horse hugger said she used them by the directions and liked them. We'll see how it goes for me.