wood stove hearth code?

cathleen805

My husband and I are replacing the carpet in our family room with laminate flooring. We have a wood stove that has 4 tiles in front of it, I guess as a hearth. Does anyone know what the code for St Marys County is (if there is any) regarding the required hearth? Here is a picture of how it is now. Any reccomendations on what we should do, so the flooring doesnt get burned from stuff coming out of the woodstove? Thanks in advance. (The dog crate is not always there- we're remodeling the kitchen now and had to move it)

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 179

belvak

Happy Camper
I would recommend leaving or even expanding the tile surface. We had wood laminate put down in our family room and I made sure to have them put in a 24 x 60 inch ceramic tile area in front of the stove. When we moved in the house, there was carpet right up to the brick hearth. Even with keeping a fireplace carpte there, we still ended up with some burn spots. With the tile, we haven't had any trouble at all!

cathleen805

I would recommend leaving or even expanding the tile surface. We had wood laminate put down in our family room and I made sure to have them put in a 24 x 60 inch ceramic tile area in front of the stove. When we moved in the house, there was carpet right up to the brick hearth. Even with keeping a fireplace carpte there, we still ended up with some burn spots. With the tile, we haven't had any trouble at all!

Thanks, thats what we are planning on. We have to replace the tile because it is broken, and we just wanted to know if there is a minimum code for how far out it needs to go.

belvak

Happy Camper
Thanks, thats what we are planning on. We have to replace the tile because it is broken, and we just wanted to know if there is a minimum code for how far out it needs to go.

Really don't know if there is a "code" or not. I'm sure you could call the office of Land Use and Growth Mangement and they could help!! Believe me, they know every code and permit necessary!!! Been There!!! :lmao:

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/lugm/lugmtemplate.asp?content=indexcontent.asp

Vince

Don't know of any code and I have the same brick type hearth with no tiles in front. Built back in the 80's so codes may have changed, but all I've ever kept in front where your tiles are, is a small rug. I have since replaced my wood stove with a pellet stove. Best move I ever made.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I had my house built around 7 years ago and as far as I know, there is no building code that specifies the size of the hearth in front of the woodstove.

BUT...I ran into major problems with my insurance company with THEIR rules and the interpretation of them when I went to get the house insured. They were having a fit that the tile underneath the woodstove ends about at the opening to it. Their first order was I have it all ripped out and get the tile redone to extend about 8 inches further. :yikes: But in the end, I just needed to provide a fireproof rug in front of it for the same distance. *whew* :yay:

belvak

Happy Camper
I had my house built around 7 years ago and as far as I know, there is no building code that specifies the size of the hearth in front of the woodstove.

BUT...I ran into major problems with my insurance company with THEIR rules and the interpretation of them when I went to get the house insured. They were having a fit that the tile underneath the woodstove ends about at the opening to it. Their first order was I have it all ripped out and get the tile redone to extend about 8 inches further. :yikes: But in the end, I just needed to provide a fireproof rug in front of it for the same distance. *whew* :yay:

When we bought our house, there was carpet right up to the hearth. The insurance company just wanted proof that we bought and mounted a fire extinguisher beside the fireplace! I had to submit photos of the receipt, the extinguisher, and a pic of it mounted on the wall. :lol: I believe in overkill! That's why when we replaced the floor, I had a 24 x 60 ceramic tile area installed in front of the hearth/woodstove area!

cathleen805

Really don't know if there is a "code" or not. I'm sure you could call the office of Land Use and Growth Mangement and they could help!! Believe me, they know every code and permit necessary!!! Been There!!! :lmao:

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/lugm/lugmtemplate.asp?content=indexcontent.asp

Awesome, thanks! I'll try calling them and see what they say. Thanks for the help, I'll make sure my hubby knows. Good idea about the rug too, I thought about that, but didnt know if they really worked.