Woodpecker

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I have had a red-headed woodpecker in my woods for a few years. Just recently, he's started coming up on my front deck where the bird feeders are. Is he looking for companionship or more food? He almost seems friendly, as he doesn't scare easily. Do they make a woodpecker food that I can buy?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FancyBelle said:
I have had a red-headed woodpecker in my woods for a few years. Just recently, he's started coming up on my front deck where the bird feeders are. Is he looking for companionship or more food? He almost seems friendly, as he doesn't scare easily. Do they make a woodpecker food that I can buy?

I have Downy and Red Headed Woodpeckers. They will eat at the feeder but they prefer the hanging feeder with the wire basket around it. They have different legs/feet and it's easier for them to hang onto those types of feeder. They like the suet feeders. Everything I've read says they prefer bugs, etc. but I always have them at my feeders. I have a general mix of seed.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I've been doing some research and found out that they also like nuts and fruit. I didn't know they came up close to people. I just don't want it attacking any of my pets. I can't find out if they are mean or not. It sure is big tho!

greyhound

We had a huge Pileated Woodpecker right outside my sons window one day. I had never seen a pileated up close before. They are so big.

fttrsbeerwench

My parents have a woodpecker in their gulley that looks about 3 feet tall...

Have you ever seen one that big?? This bugger is huuuge!!

greyhound

fttrsbeerwench said:
My parents have a woodpecker in their gulley that looks about 3 feet tall...

Have you ever seen one that big?? This bugger is huuuge!!

Yes...that would be a Pileated Woodpecker

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
When I was about 10 my brother was teching me to use a sling shot. There was a red headed woodpecker on a tree in my Gram's back yard. Never thinking I would actually hit it, I loaded the sling shot, aimed and fired. I hit that woodpecker right on the head and killed it dead.

I cried for days. :bawl:

CMC122

Go Braves!
MysticalMom said:
When I was about 10 my brother was teching me to use a sling shot. There was a red headed woodpecker on a tree in my Gram's back yard. Never thinking I would actually hit it, I loaded the sling shot, aimed and fired. I hit that woodpecker right on the head and killed it dead.

I cried for days. :bawl:
My step-dad did something very similiar to me too. We went squirrel hunting and we were sitting on the edge of this little pond and this killdeer landed on this tree. Since we weren't doing well finding squirrels he told me to take a shot at the bird. I shot the bird and he about #### himself. My Mom was so pissed at me for actually hitting the bird and I was confused because I was just doing what I was told:lol:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
CMC122 said:
My step-dad did something very similiar to me too. We went squirrel hunting and we were sitting on the edge of this little pond and this killdeer landed on this tree. Since we weren't doing well finding squirrels he told me to take a shot at the bird. I shot the bird and he about #### himself. My Mom was so pissed at me for actually hitting the bird and I was confused because I was just doing what I was told:lol:

When I hit the pecker my brother was like, "WTH did you do that for?"
I threw his wrist rocket at him and yelled," Because you told me to!":bawl:

This is also the same brother who said YES, I could shoot him with the BB gun..and no he wouldn't tell mom. I shot him....right between the eyes and whats the first thing he does? You guessed it....yells for mom!

MMDad

Lem Putt
MysticalMom said:
When I hit the pecker my brother was like, "WTH did you do that for?"
I threw his wrist rocket at him and yelled," Because you told me to!":bawl:

This is also the same brother who said YES, I could shoot him with the BB gun..and no he wouldn't tell mom. I shot him....right between the eyes and whats the first thing he does? You guessed it....yells for mom!
:killingme :lmao: You are friggin hilarious!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
my bosses kids used to tell the youngest one to get his camo winter suit on and run across the driveway, and they'd shoot him with their bb guns :lol:

Greyhound do i know where you live? Cause Rottncop and i JUST saw that HUGE woody last week He has a serious mohawk on him. Never saw one so big!! He sounds like he's gonna take the woods down with his drumming!!

K

khuseman

FancyBelle said:
They also love suet cakes..which you can buy at the store..or make them yourself. (My mom has the recipe if anyone wants it..just PM me)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was in The Greenery in Hollywood last weekend and saw a feed blend made specifically for woodpeckers. It had peanuts, other nuts, and fruits in it.

Ponytail

How do you keep the friggin squirrels from devouring the suet cakes before the Woodpeckers find them?

Holy chit...I wish i had a camera set up then...the entire cake and chewed up wire mesh gone in one day from the friggin terminator squirrels at my house.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
How do you keep the friggin squirrels from devouring the suet cakes before the Woodpeckers find them?

Holy chit...I wish i had a camera set up then...the entire cake and chewed up wire mesh gone in one day from the friggin terminator squirrels at my house.

I'd like to know that myself. The little bastages ripped mine down and about destroyed the cage. It's one of those heavy duty ones, too. :ohwell:

K

Kain99

Hey!!! The same woodpecker was in my woods! Don't go stealing my buddy girl! :lmao: :love:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Kain99 said:
Hey!!! The same woodpecker was in my woods! Don't go stealing my buddy girl! :lmao: :love:
Are you feeding him? I haven't seen him at all this wk, but I haven't been home much either. Maybe I'll see him tomorrow. I forgot to get some fruit and nut seed for him. :jameo:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I seem to have an enthusiasm for posting bird stuff today. After digging through the bird board, here's another back woods favorite we have. Yes, the pileated woodpecker. Maybe grow to approx. a foot and a half or more. Beautiful bird. Extra red stripe (moustache) is the male.

Attachments

• pileated3.jpg
    pileated3.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 97