Woodpeckers

thequizmaster

Mockingbirds actually love apples and orioles go crazy over grape jelly. You may think this sounds silly but you should try it sometime.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
The woodpeckers love my suet feeders too. I've just started seeing them the last few days?. I haven't had any woodpeckers all winter. Are they around and I just don't see them or are they a warmer weather bird?

Shopping List:

Peanuts
Raisins
Grape Jelly (Though I haven't seen an Oriole in years)

MysticalMom said:
The woodpeckers love my suet feeders too. I've just started seeing them the last few days?. I haven't had any woodpeckers all winter. Are they around and I just don't see them or are they a warmer weather bird?

Shopping List:

Peanuts
Raisins
We've been feeding them all winter. Guess they stick around.

oldman

Lobster Land
MysticalMom said:

Shopping List:

Peanuts
Raisins

Yep, I had a pecker around all winter. It was also king of the feeder whenever it wanted. Even the bluejays would move away when it was around and it takes a lot to make blues nervous. It would also just perch on the side of the tree next to the feeder and remain still for long periods, like it was resting, which I'd never seen or noticed before. Ain't nature great when you take the time out to observe it?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
desertrat said:
Love those peanuts!
They like sunflower seeds too...and pounding on the glass door in the morning.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0032_1.JPG
    DSC_0032_1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 161

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
desertrat said:
Love those peanuts!
How close were you and how did you manage to sneak up on him? The ones here bolt at the slightest human movement.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
used to have a mockingbird who would wait on the fence until my car would pull into the driveway, then it would follow me through the yard and wait in a nearby tree until
I would bring raisins out and put them on the deck rail.

FireBrand said:
used to have a mockingbird who would wait on the fence until my car would pull into the driveway, then it would follow me through the yard and wait in a nearby tree until
I would bring raisins out and put them on the deck rail.
:powned:

CMC122

Go Braves!
We have a Pileated woodpecker that hangs around our area. We saw him tonight going to town up in a tree.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
David said:
How close were you and how did you manage to sneak up on him? The ones here bolt at the slightest human movement.
Maybe 10 - 15 feet. I put peanuts on the railing and they come right in. He was taking the pictures from our kitchen window, so he was inside, but had the window open.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
oldman said:
Yep, I had a pecker around all winter. It was also king of the feeder whenever it wanted. Even the bluejays would move away when it was around and it takes a lot to make blues nervous. It would also just perch on the side of the tree next to the feeder and remain still for long periods, like it was resting, which I'd never seen or noticed before. Ain't nature great when you take the time out to observe it?
Same thing here. The bluejays run each other out, but don't mess with the woodpeckers. Our bluejays are quite agressive when I put the peanuts out. I love to watch them. I get five pound bags of peanuts at BJ's for $4.99. Do you know if they will eat raw peanuts? DR found a place to get 80 pounds for $34.99 or something.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
When I lived with my parents they had thi large red headed wood pecker that would pound the exaust stack to the furnace first thing in the morning. Wh thought something was wrong with the furnace.:killingme:

till one saturday morning I ran out and caught the little pecker drilling the exaust chimney. He never did it again:shrug: