woodworking term - need help

SeaRide

Good morning .. I know I need more :coffee:. Anyway I was trying to remember the term to describe the feature or the part where you have a grooves being cut and those ______ in between ..

What do you call it? suppose you want a groove cut 3/8" width and 3/8" depth and then the _______ comes out as 3/8" wide and then repeat the groove in same depth and width.. Do I call it fin or finger or tongue or what?

TIA

Last edited:

Vince

a dado :shrug:
:yeahthat: If it's cut across the face of a board, usually across the grain, and the angles within the groove are 90 degrees, it's a dado. If it's on the end of the board and across the grain, rabbet. If it's angled, it's probably a dovetail joint, approx 22.5 degrees on the angle depending on if you are doing it with a router or handcutting them. If you are handcutting, you can do any angle you want.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:yeahthat: If it's cut across the face of a board, usually across the grain, and the angles within the groove are 90 degrees, it's a dado. If it's on the end of the board and across the grain, rabbet. If it's angled, it's probably a dovetail joint, approx 22.5 degrees on the angle.

:nerd:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:yeahthat: If it's cut across the face of a board, usually across the grain, and the angles within the groove are 90 degrees, it's a dado. If it's on the end of the board and across the grain, rabbet. If it's angled, it's probably a dovetail joint, approx 22.5 degrees on the angle depending on if you are doing it with a router or handcutting them. If you are handcutting, you can do any angle you want.

Thanks Norm!

Last edited:

SeaRide

one more time ... Flute face?

Attachments

• radiasedflutedcasing.jpg
    radiasedflutedcasing.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 87

SeaRide

What is it? A pattern for grooves to be cut? What? Curved flutes? No specific woodworking term for it. Here's a picture of some fluted molding.

It's the radiased fluted casing .. for the top part of the furniture shown in the picture. Thanks anyway.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 80