Word o' the Day

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Today's word is: Codswallop

British, informal
: words or ideas that are foolish or untrue : NONSENSE

The notion that Scott was waylaid by bad luck is "a lot of codswallop," said Roland Huntford, a British historian.— Kenneth Chang

"Some say he died. Codswallop, in my opinion…"— J. K. Rowling

… I muttered, "Yes, that's right," knowing all the while that it was a load of codswallop.— Steven Pinker

Saw this used in an online post earlier. Maybe you did, too. Not sure I'll use it that often, but still too good to let go by without giving it a place of honor here in the forum (as we did previously with "Kakistocracy").

--- End of line (MCP)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Today's word is: Codswallop

British, informal
: words or ideas that are foolish or untrue : NONSENSE

The notion that Scott was waylaid by bad luck is "a lot of codswallop," said Roland Huntford, a British historian.— Kenneth Chang

"Some say he died. Codswallop, in my opinion…"— J. K. Rowling

… I muttered, "Yes, that's right," knowing all the while that it was a load of codswallop.— Steven Pinker

Saw this used in an online post earlier. Maybe you did, too. Not sure I'll use it that often, but still too good to let go by without giving it a place of honor here in the forum (as we did previously with "Kakistocracy").

--- End of line (MCP)
I tried using codswallop in a discussion a short while ago but no one knew what it meant and the whole conversation went cattywampus!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I read somewhere that some restaurants are using skate wings and calling them codswallops.

Yooper

When I first saw the word I thought it referred to a Navy plane flying into a NASA launch site in Virginia.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Well, I'm a lefty sooooo..... :)

Well, I'm a lefty sooooo...... :)
So when I add that gauche is French for "left" or that the Russian word for the same (левый) comes from an Old Slavonic word that means both "left" and "evil," your reply will be...? :p

Cheers!

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
So when I add that gauche is French for "left" or that the Russian word for the same (левый) comes from an Old Slavonic word that means both "left" and "evil," your reply will be...? :p

Cheers!

--- End of line (MCP)

I leave that as an exercise for the student while I exit, stage........