Work to the Rule

tenzo

If anything, a first year teacher should get paid MORE than a 20-year veteran! The first year of teaching is pretty much universally a crying-every-day experience. You are constantly only about one day (if that) ahead of your students, designing your lesson plans on the fly and producing classroom materials at midnight the night before you need them. As my husband's mentor teacher said, "The only cure for the first year is the second year."

Having said that, there are various increased responsibilities (such as mentoring both new hires and student teachers and chairing departments) that come with longer service.

Having been constantly frustrated when I began my education studies last semester, I will be the last person to argue that most education programs are anything more than a joke. HOWEVER, don't berate all teachers because of this, nor assume all education programs are this way. Undergrad education programs are on the outs. Most schools now pretty much require a Masters, and while some Masters programs are fairly easy, many are downright hellish. My husband completed a Masters program that required him to teach all day every day under the guidance of a mentor teacher, then race from school to the University for classes until 9:00 every night. He was expected to keep up as both a teacher and a student in a very challenging and academically rigerous program. His students are constantly amazed at the breadth and depth of his knowlege on a huge array of subjects, from science to history to the arts.

I'm starting a Masters program at the end of the month and I'm sort of saddened by the prospect. I have to get my Masters in Teaching if I'm going to be employable by any public school, when I really would rather get my Masters in History, since that is what I would like to teach (and for that matter teach at a private school). Teaching and learning is interesting and it isn't something that most people can do with no training whatsoever, but I do think that sacrificing content area knowledge for ad nauseum teacher-training is a sure way to dumb down the teacher corps.

But don't poo poo all teachers because our training programs are silly. I know a lot of teachers who are, literally, brilliant. They will also tell you that their training programs were easy and frustrating, but they went through it because they have a desire to educate. Then again, I met a lot of prospective teachers (mostly elementary-level candidates) in my undergrad program who could barely tell their right from their left.

Frankly though, I'm not entirely convinced that Americans want really really smart people teaching. Really really smart people question assumptions and tend to teach kids how to do the same. Smart people don't take anything for granted, rock the boat, innovate, do things differently. It's way easier for the powers that be to handle the populace if they are educated by people who blindly follow rules and do what they're told.

Think about this: Studies have shown that teacher candidates from more selective schools who earned better grades and SAT scores actually have a *harder* time finding employment than their more mediocre counterparts.

Last edited:
K

Kain99

I'm just a Mom

While I do not support the some of the tactics the teachers have taken during this dispute, I feel that there are certain important issues that have not been brought to light.

All of us had that special Teacher that we will never forget. The teacher who challenged us and forced us to reach our full potential. There is not enough money in the world for these Teachers.

Teachers also work in a hostile enviroment! How much money should they be paid for that? When I was in school, kids weren't packing heat or building bombs. Today they are. :frown:

It's easy to sit on the outside and pass judgement. Maybe, if we were on the inside things might look a little clearer.

This is the perfect time to publically thank a few of those really special teachers.

Thank You! You Make All The Difference Chopticon High School -

Mrs. Dean
Mrs. Dell
Mr. Stottelmyer
Mr. Hitchman

alex

I think the problem isn't that teachers are stupid or we are not paying them enough or their training programs are bad (though I do question programs where future teachers are taught that parents are stupid). It is that they no longer have control in the class room. If we want to start holding teachers and/or schools accountable for what our kids learn you have to provide an environment that promotes that.

Children who are disruptive, abusive, etc do not belong in school. Yes they are entitled to an education but so are the kids who behave. If you abuse the priviledge you should no longer have access to it.

The problem with teachers complaining about money at this time is that EVERYONE is feeling the pinch of budget shortfalls at the local, state and federal levels. It is not that we don't want to give them more money we just don't have it to give. Why should one section of public employee be granted a raise and others told too bad?

I would have more respect for their request if they had used similar tactics to ask for better disicpline measures in schools, etc. I am tired of people using my child as an excuse to give them more money. It is like they are holding the school children hostage and I am sick of it.

aphrodite17

I have recently moved down here to work in SMCP schools from another state. I have read the comments that are posted on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I just want you to realize what is actually occurring before you pass judgement on us as teachers. How many of you realize that there is a national shortage of teachers and with President Bush's new law this more than likely will increase. The county hires personnel to search all over to bring teachers such as myself to your district. Then they try to keep us here. I have decided to look elsewhere, along with others, because I do not need the disrespect from the Board members and the lack of support. I feel that some of you are passing judgement before you have walked in my shoes. If you want a strong education for your students ask the teachers what you could do to support them. The personnel does a great job of bringing us down here, but the Board members due a great job of convincing many of us to look elsewhere. How are your children going to succeed in a competitive world such as the one we live in today. :shocked:

tenzo

There is nothing more frustrating to an educator who has spent a long time studying teaching and learning than the fact that every person in this country thinks they are an expert on education because they went to school and/or have kids who are in school.

There is a big difference between being a student or parent and being a teacher in charge of the learning of 150 teenagers.

As for the attitude you expressed that if you aren't totally thrilled to be in a thankless low paying job with incredibly long hours then you should go away, we don't want you here anyway, well, that is a fantastic way to wind up with a crappy school system with burned out teachers who couldn't give a hoot about their students. You have no idea how incredibly demoralizing it is for people to tell you constantly (and when you are a teacher, people feel free to, believe me--I'm not even in full-time service yet and I've gotten this speech several times) that if you don't eat garbage with a spoon and LOVE every minute of it then you are a bad teacher who should never work with children again. Teachers are not superpeople or saints. We have feelings, we have bad days, we like to feel appreciated and supported just as much as anyone else. Money is one way to show appreciation and support but I guarentee you you'd see a lot less teachers griping about money if they felt as if their place in the community was on par with other professionals (such as doctors and lawyers), and if parents and students acknowledged every once and a while the good work that we do instead of harping on our faults constantly (usually the harping is on the faults of the couple of really rotten teachers we've all had in our lives, extrapolated out to somehow represent the shortcomings of every teacher in the country). There is a reason why plenty of teachers chose to earn MUCH less working at private schools.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by aphrodite17
I have recently moved down here to work in SMCP schools from another state. I have read the comments that are posted on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I just want you to realize what is actually occurring before you pass judgement on us as teachers. How many of you realize that there is a national shortage of teachers and with President Bush's new law this more than likely will increase. The county hires personnel to search all over to bring teachers such as myself to your district. Then they try to keep us here. I have decided to look elsewhere, along with others, because I do not need the disrespect from the Board members and the lack of support. I feel that some of you are passing judgement before you have walked in my shoes. If you want a strong education for your students ask the teachers what you could do to support them. The personnel does a great job of bringing us down here, but the Board members due a great job of convincing many of us to look elsewhere. How are your children going to succeed in a competitive world such as the one we live in today. :shocked:

Of course we know there is a shortage. It has been like that for years and probably will continue for sometime to come. Probably one of the reasons salaries have risen significantly in the recent past.

You said you didn’t need the “disrespect” of the BOE members. Care to amplify what exactly is going on? As these are elected members it would be nice to know what it is that they are doing that would cause you to leave a job that you willingly chose to relocate to accept.

SurfaceTension

If I recall correctly (and if their statistics were correct), a letter in the Enterprise on Wednesday stated that St. Mary's teachers are among the best compensated in the State AND neighboring states.

I really think that the teachers (or, perhaps more correctly, their union) are their own worse enemy. Times are tough....Budgets are tight.....The teachers received significant raises the last two years running....Now they are demanding more, maybe at the expense of other local/State workers and/or programs.

Problem is, instead of a detailed compensation analysis to make the case, all we seem to be getting is a "We do God's work/ Dammit we deserve it/ We don't get no respect/ Someone else is makin' more than me" argument, in the face of a work slowdown.

That's a tough argument to make without breeding animosity among the "less worthy"! If something else is going on with the BOE, let us know!
:bandit:

Last edited:
K

Kizzy

Over the past four years, St. Mary's teachers have had a 17% increase in their salary...can anyone else out there claim the same???

Yes, the Maryland Legislator's got a 38% raise 2 years ago. When questioned by the press, the answer given was that they only get a raise every 4 years. I think a 38% raise over a 4 year period is real fricken good. :lol:

The problem here isn’t giving them a raise, it is how to fund that raise. There just isn’t money in the budget for raises, and from what I have read, they are still getting step increases. All of the workers in the State of Maryland had their steps frozen 2 years ago and there is no answer as to when they will begin giving step increases again. I read here that they could cut cost, but that takes time and some of the sections/departments in government are already cut to the bone. The money just doesn’t appear overnight. The pinch is everywhere, not just with the St. Mary’s teachers. I work in law enforcement and there is a strong possibility of furloughs, now when the rumors include law enforcement workers as being furloughed, the money problems ARE serious. I do the ordering of office supplies in my office and believe me when I say we have been cut to the bone. For example, I have 55 people in my office and I get 24 pens, 2 bottles of white out, 8 AA batteries every 3 weeks. When the State of Maryland hurts, they cut funding to local governments. That is just the way it is.

Like I have said before, I don’t want a raise if it means that taxes have to be raised, people will be furloughed, office supplies cut to practically nothing, etc. etc.

But I also think everyone should take the load, including those selfish Maryland legislator’s that voted themselves a raise. Those of us with jobs should be grateful we still have one. If teachers think the pay stinks so badly, they can go out and look for another job. Sorry, if I seem callous about it, but times are tough and jobs are few.

alex

Teachers aren't the only ones to be disrepected it happens everywhere. Since Ronald Regan was President it has been open season to be rude and crude to any government worker.

Just because we haven't walked in your shoes doesn't mean that we don't know what we want for our kids. I have been an involved parent in my son's education since before he started kindergarten. Until last year I was commuting to DC but managed to be on the PTA as a board member, etc. I made the time to attend every conference and even requested extra ones asking the teacher what we could do at home to help him in school. Through all this I got treated like I was an idiot by the teachers. It was an attitude of "I know what is best for your child, not you".

As has been stated, if the BOE is doing something or behaving in an unprofessional manner, tell us. As voters we have the right to know. If it is just that many of taxpayers are saying enough is enough, well too bad!

KAHUNA

Like I said in an earlier post, no one doubts that teaching is a tough job. Teachers deserve support, control in the classroom, backing from principals and the Board Of Education (rather than siding with the parents for fear of litigation). I know lots of teachers take work home. Yes, they should be treated like professionals, rather than high-priced baby sitters! Here's the problem though; Are police important? You bet! Keeping the peace, regulating traffic, and possibly saving lives? Really important!!!! Do they deserve better. Sure!
What about nurses? Caregivers, lifesavers, working all sorts of crazy shifts, malpractice liability everywhere you look!!! Do they deserve big money and more respect? You bet!! What I'm saying is, sure, teachers are important, but so are tons of other jobs that are on the public payroll. Everyone deserves raises, everyone deserves better working conditions, everyone deserves more respect. And as taxpayers, we try (although some would have you think NOT)! But where does it end? We can't fund everything for everyone for all that you want, whenever you want! And during economic hard times, the pie gets smaller!!
As I mentioned before, just be thankful that (primarily for teachers), layoffs are almost unheard of. Many of your bretheren on the state and local level aren't that lucky. And don't even get me going about federal employees, who wouldn't know what a layoff even looks like (but that's another issue). We're trying folks, we really are. I respect teachers, and the pressures they deal with. But we all have jobs, pressures, and deadlines too. But not all of us have the ability to hit taxpayers up for a raise. In private industry, raises aren't "scheduled", and certainly not guaranteed. There will be a new contract. There will be an eventual raise (of some degree). There will be final resolution on the issues. Some will like it, some won't. It'll be a compromise between what teachers want, and what the public can afford. That's life. Try and understand that, as well as the fact that teachers aren't the only ones with "needs".