Working Boarder?

Sparks

I've been thinking about bringing in a boarder lately, though everyone tells me not to. :lalala:

Only reason I'm considering it is because I'd really like them to work 2-3 evenings during the week. Clean 4 stalls, do hay & water, either turn-out or bring in depending on the weather. I'd of course take $$ off their board for working.

What do you guys think? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

fredsaid2

I've been thinking about bringing in a boarder lately, though everyone tells me not to. :lalala:

Only reason I'm considering it is because I'd really like them to work 2-3 evenings during the week. Clean 4 stalls, do hay & water, either turn-out or bring in depending on the weather. I'd of course take $$ off their board for working.

With the right person it could be great, finding that person will be the difficult part. Put it all in writing before you start, go over the contract a lot, make sure you have all your bases covered. Hope you find someone dependable!

W

WhoCares

I would get everything in writing what they are responsible for and what is expected.

DQ2B

And if you go for it remember to check your homeowners policy. They may not cover you if you take on a boarder (mine didn't, had to find new) and you'll need a commercial liability policy if you don't already have that. Definitely get a boarding agreement in writing.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
And if you go for it remember to check your homeowners policy. They may not cover you if you take on a boarder (mine didn't, had to find new) and you'll need a commercial liability policy if you don't already have that. Definitely get a boarding agreement in writing.
DQ2B you are correct...

If you have a paying boarder, not only are they NOT covered under your homeowners for injury...BUT...

You barn is NO LONGER covered also. It only takes one paying client to VOID your homeowners.

I have a boarders liability policy and a barn and outbuilding policy in addition to my homeowners.

Sparks

I've actually looked into the liability policies in the past. Most of the companies I've checked with also want to cover the house and hubby doesn't want to switch so that's a problem.

What if they worked off the entire board amount so no money exchanged hands? How would that affect the insurance?

Last edited:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I've actually looked into the liability policies in the past. Most of the companies I've checked with also want to cover the house and hubby doesn't want to switch so that's a problem.

What if they worked off the entire board amount so no money exchanged hands? How would that affect the insurance?

Dont know, I would be safe and call your homeowners and ask.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
With the right person it could be great, finding that person will be the difficult part. Put it all in writing before you start, go over the contract a lot, make sure you have all your bases covered. Hope you find someone dependable!

i have a working boarder.. couldn't do it without 'em... with two young kids and extensive knee surgery next month, I don't know what we'd do without some extra help this winter... I wouldn't feel right raising board with the help I'll need.

josimmon--->:huggy:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

I thought you were looking for a boarder collie for herding.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Or is it... Border Collie??
I could use the help but one would have to be super careful.

who needs a border collie?We have two mutts, and one brittany that puts are goats back in the fence. The brittany's the best at it because he will bark, and if they still dont move he will nip or if they have long hair he grabes on untill there in the fence... they also stop Flare from playing in the water, or get a crying kid to shut-up (they bark when you say 'get the goats'). You just say 'leave it' and they stop, good 'ol mutts!!!