World cup soccer

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What's the big deal? I find it boring. A 1-0 game doesn't interest Americans. I remember the Cosmos team from the 70s. They had Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia. Attendance for those matches were around 40K. This was heralded as the soccer awakening in America. The NASL folded in 1984 as attendance plummetted without the benefit of aged, marquee players.

Maybe if the got rid of the offsides rule and let faster teams score more goals then it might appeal to more fans on this side of the pond.

SoMDGirl42

What's the big deal? I find it boring. A 1-0 game doesn't interest Americans. I remember the Cosmos team from the 70s. They had Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia. Attendance for those matches were around 40K. This was heralded as the soccer awakening in America. The NASL folded in 1984 as attendance plummetted without the benefit of aged, marquee players.

Maybe if the got rid of the offsides rule and let faster teams score more goals then it might appeal to more fans on this side of the pond.

I have a family member that traveled to Brazil to attend the games, so I don't think all Americans would agree with your opinion.

Monello

PREMO Member
Monello, not all Americans have ADD. Sorry for your trouble.

So how would you explain America's passion for baseball? It's an equally slow paced sport.

FWIW My ADD isn't an issue. I wear it proudly. Oh look a squirrel...

Beta

Smile!
So how would you explain America's passion for baseball? It's an equally slow paced sport.

FWIW My ADD isn't an issue. I wear it proudly. Oh look a squirrel...

Why are you asking me? You're the one who said slow soccer games are why Americans dislike soccer. So please tell me, if Americans hate slow games, why they like baseball. I'm the one who argued that it has nothing to do with the game being slow.

Thanks for making my point. :yay:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The US is about the only nation in the world that just doesn't get it about soccer/football. But more and more sports "fans" here are, leaving less and less of sports ignorants to complain about the beautiful game. If they think the game is slow, try playing it at any level for just five minutes. After you cough up a lung as you lie on the ground after being taken down hard by a vicious slide tackle - legally - or knocking heads with your opponent going for a header, you will reconsider.

Monello

PREMO Member
I never said the game was slow. I said it was boring to Americans. I should have said it's boring to many Americans. I get that you like the game but clearly the majority of Americans have no passion for the sport. Decades ago baseball was king but football has overtaken baseball as America's pasttime.

My playing days are over. I'm now the person that sits in the seat an roots.

Toxick

Splat
If they think the game is slow, try playing it at any level for just five minutes.

Visually, it's slow.

You have 47 wide open acres, and all the action focused within a 5'x5' area at any given time.

To me it's like golf. Not a bad game to play (and I've played both golf and soccer).

But watching it doesn't quite have the same jenny-say-kwah as playing it has.

After you cough up a lung as you lie on the ground after being taken down hard by a vicious slide tackle - legally - or knocking heads with your opponent going for a header, you will reconsider.

I don't think so. And I don't think anyone is discounting the players' athletic ability.

That said, I'll leave you with this:

10380966_10154296010495377_8066640761309353489_n.jpg

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
1958536_692113720825343_8491831166267609189_n.jpg
Visually, it's slow.

You have 47 wide open acres, and all the action focused within a 5'x5' area at any given time.

To me it's like golf. Not a bad game to play (and I've played both golf and soccer).

But watching it doesn't quite have the same jenny-say-kwah as playing it has.

I don't think so. And I don't think anyone is discounting the players' athletic ability.

That said, I'll leave you with this:

View attachment 103419
Mine's better

Beta

Smile!
The US is about the only nation in the world that just doesn't get it about soccer/football. But more and more sports "fans" here are, leaving less and less of sports ignorants to complain about the beautiful game. If they think the game is slow, try playing it at any level for just five minutes. After you cough up a lung as you lie on the ground after being taken down hard by a vicious slide tackle - legally - or knocking heads with your opponent going for a header, you will reconsider.

Game 1 of the World Cup for the USA garnered ESPN's 2nd highest viewer rating this year, right behind the BCS National Championships. That means it beat the NBA Conference Finals, a couple NFL Monday night games, and probably some other events. That's pretty good viewership...

The reason I get frustrated with soccer is there are too many dives by international players. The GREAT thing about USA vs Ghana is it was 2 teams that typically don't dive!

I realized something else -- it seems this must be a European thing. There are a bunch of Europeans on the Spurs and they were GREAT at taking dives during the NBA finals. It was just as nauseating to watch, and I usually enjoy basketball.

With so many young kids now grown up that played soccer I'm sure that some are interested. I grew up playing baseball so I get the rules etc. and at least can follow the action when it happens. On the other hand I like rugby, but never played it and don't get the rules at all.