World Cup!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is the ONLY time (besides when my nephew is playing) I give a hot about soccer...err...football. And I care alot about Wolrd Cup!!! Way better than the Olympics.

Krauts 2
Costa Rico 1 20th minute.

dck4shrt

Larry Gude said:
This is the ONLY time (besides when my nephew is playing) I give a hot about soccer...err...football. And I care alot about Wolrd Cup!!! Way better than the Olympics.

Krauts 2

Glad to see that Costa Rica isn't laying over in this one, although shots are 14-5 in favor of Germany through the first half. Playing as one of the top teams on home turf in the opener has got to get the Germans as pumped up as you can possibly get. I hear its a national holiday in Costa Rica today so everyone can watch the match, I think that's cool.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:

Krauts 2

I'd rather watch Pixie's nails dry.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
2-0...

Softballkid said:
If ya dont mind, can ya keep us updated on how we do today...

TIA

...at the 1/2, Czechs. Their big guy, Koller, is a MONSTER and scored on a header on a PERFECT cross. Claudio Reyna JUST missed on a powerful blast
from 30 yards on a break. Hit the inside of the left post. And inch or two...

Another good cross by them got headed out by us to the middel and Tomas Rosicky belted a wicked knuckle ball, no spin to JUST inside the right post. Beautiful goal. 2-0.

They are bigger, stronger, seem to be in better position.

Reality Czech, we're outclassed I think.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
3-0

at 76 minutes...Rosickey again, pretty play, break away, flicks it over the keeper, in close...

We almost scored on a nice cross from O'Brian to Pope...(edit) Eddie Johnson.

He just now...at 80 minutes, came close again...

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Done...

...3-0 and the result reflected the game. Bad news for the Czechs, their big mna, Jan Koller, bulled hami in the first half. The guys a MONSTER. Can run, good athlete.

No good news for the US. In a perfect world they only score 1.

The Czechs constantly and consistently out positioned us.

Outclassed.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
And I thought ESPN was saying this could be a good year for the US.... guess like always...they guessed wrong.......

When was the last time we sent a good soccer team over their?? I dont keep up much on World Cup, or Olympics, but I do like hearing that my country does well.....

But, I cant seem to recall hearing good news about World Cup and the US in the same sentence....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

Softballkid said:
And I thought ESPN was saying this could be a good year for the US.... guess like always...they guessed wrong.......

When was the last time we sent a good soccer team over their?? I dont keep up much on World Cup, or Olympics, but I do like hearing that my country does well.....

But, I cant seem to recall hearing good news about World Cup and the US in the same sentence....

...it is said that this is our best team ever. Half the team plays pro ball in Europe which is the benchmark. The Czechs are said to be legit Cup contenders. Maybe we'll play a great game against Italy...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Hopefully...

Larry Gude said:
...it is said that this is our best team ever. Half the team plays pro ball in Europe which is the benchmark. The Czechs are said to be legit Cup contenders. Maybe we'll play a great game against Italy...

We can pick it up a few notches, it would be nice to come out and surprise all those other countries that dog on us and threaten our players and all that...

I would like to see a month from now they are kickin butt and taking names, thats for sure :yay:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I was in Germany a couple years ago when the US team was playing Germany. Sat and watched with a bunch of Germans in a bar and had a good time, even though we lost.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not gonna happen...

Softballkid said:
We can pick it up a few notches, it would be nice to come out and surprise all those other countries that dog on us and threaten our players and all that...

I would like to see a month from now they are kickin butt and taking names, thats for sure :yay:

...any time soon. The US has come a long way and our now respectable world wide, but, every other nations BEST athletes play soccer from the earliest ages.

Imagine if running backs and small forwards played soccer instead of football and basketball.

So, the bright side; we are competitive and can at least show up and there is NO world cup of US football and we send our B team for international basketball.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd enjoy that...

Bustem' Down said:
I was in Germany a couple years ago when the US team was playing Germany. Sat and watched with a bunch of Germans in a bar and had a good time, even though we lost.

...sounds like my kinda people! Sit in a bar, drink and watch sports!

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Larry Gude said:
...any time soon. The US has come a long way and our now respectable world wide, but, every other nations BEST athletes play soccer from the earliest ages.

Imagine if running backs and small forwards played soccer instead of football and basketball.

So, the bright side; we are competitive and can at least show up and there is NO world cup of US football and we send our B team for international basketball.

Yeah, thats a very good point :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
One of the things...

...I really love about soccer is the acting.

I mean, the NBA gives us some pretty good flops and phantom collisions and players writhing on the floor in search of sympathy or at least an Oscar nomination, but man, international football?

Fugetabodit. This guys are the stuff when they think they can get a foul call. The NBA don't bring out no stretchers. In soccer, you get 'fouled' and you just flop around like a fish out of water. The guy who 'got' you comes over, sincerely asking about your health, your teammates stroll over and lead your attacker away as though he is your drunk uncle at the wedding and the ref walks over, looks down at you as though you've just shat yourself and non-chalantly calls for a stretcher. 4 medics comes running out and however long it melodramatically takes you to get comfortable and stop writhing, then they trot you off. All the while you must keep an arm across your face as though in birth giving agony. It is actually to hide your smile.

Then, after a few minutes on the sideline, during which some miracle must have occurred, you either wait for the ref to allow you back on if HE called for the stretcher or when you feel like it if your teammates called for it, you trot back on the pitch.

Wonderful theater.