Worm question...need help

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I am waiting for a call back from the vet but thought I would see what you all thought..

I purchased Misty on 8/13/06 I hit her that night with 1250 lbs of Ivermec she weight taped at 888 (next day she pooped out small rounds (I think) and bluish gravel. She was in NC when I got her.

Lets do this

8/13/06 (888) 1250 ivermec
8/29/06 1250 ivermec
9/12/06 (874) 1250 ivermec
11/8/06 (861) 800 lbs quest
1/12/07 1250 ivermec
3/9/07 1200 lbs Strongid (PP) and she still pooped out 2" creamish white fat one end tapered worms..

NOTE..she has loose type stools and she is pastured with Bubba who has hard ball stools..Bubbas poop is clean and nothing after being wormed..

I wormed Vence, Condesa and Roger and no worms either...Any ideas how about a strongid power pack

PrepH4U

Pasofever said:
I am waiting for a call back from the vet but thought I would see what you all thought..

I purchased Misty on 8/13/06 I hit her that night with 1250 lbs of Ivermec she weight taped at 888 (next day she pooped out small rounds (I think) and bluish gravel. She was in NC when I got her.

Lets do this

8/13/06 (888) 1250 ivermec
8/29/06 1250 ivermec
9/12/06 (874) 1250 ivermec
11/8/06 (861) 800 lbs quest
1/12/07 1250 ivermec
3/9/07 1200 lbs Strongid (PP) and she still pooped out 2" creamish white fat one end tapered worms..

NOTE..she has loose type stools and she is pastured with Bubba who has hard ball stools..Bubbas poop is clean and nothing after being wormed..

I wormed Vence, Condesa and Roger and no worms either...Any ideas how about a strongid power pack

I think I would take a stool sample into the vet and find out what worm/worms are still there and come up with a treatment plan from there. That may be unecessary but thats just me and I would rather know what was going on. :shrug:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
With this warm winter we had who knows what the life cycle of the parasites will be like around the area. I'm sure the vets will be busy keeping on top of everything!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Vet said to power pack her....double dose (1500 lbs) panacure (fenbendazole) X 5 days then do a fecal and then a quest a couple weeks later.

DQ2B

Note: Some worms will not test positive in fecal exams, like tapeworms. Also, there have been some studies that show when testing ramdom groups of horses, 80% will test negative for worms whether or not they have been given any type of wormer, while the other 20% will consistently test positive despite worming. Seems that for some horses, no amount of worming will suffice. Of course, there has been no protocol for treatment that I've heard of for these horses either. :shrug:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Pasofever said:
Vet said to power pack her....double dose (1500 lbs) panacure (fenbendazole) X 5 days then do a fecal and then a quest a couple weeks later.

Hey Paso, the tapeworms can be a major headache, and none of the wormers you gave her (unless you used the quest plus) really would have wormed for them. The best wormer I have found for the tapeworms is the Equimax...plus it is safe for broodmares and stallions. :popcorn:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
In high load type situations, like dry lots or moving horses in and out of the fields like when doing trail rides etc., daily wormer is prolly best, at least during the warm months. I'm having to worm every 6 weeks or so. Not sure why it's so bad this year. Maybe because it was so mild until so late, we didn't have a long enough cold spell to really kill them off.

Grass is a natural de-wormer...wish i had more of it. Well wish i had ANY of it :lol:

Cowgirl

happyappygirl said:
Grass is a natural de-wormer...wish i had more of it. Well wish i had ANY of it :lol:

Yeah, but only if the horses are being rotated off pastures and pastures get to rest for at least 30 days and manure is getting broken up to expose the eggs to sunlight...otherwise the horses just gobble up the eggs :lmao: