Worms

Sweet 16

^^8^^
We adopted an older kitten from the Humane Society last week and, according to it's records, it has received 3 de-worming treatments. It now appears the kitten has worms. :frown: They are closed today but I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out if I can bring him in for treatment. Either that or we're off to our vet. Is it normal for them to get worms even though they've been treated multiple times? I'm also concerned because the new kitten and my indoor cat have been eating each other's food and sharing water before my discovery. I plan on taking my older cat in anyway for a checkup after the kitten goes but should I quarantine the kitten until he's treated?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
We adopted an older kitten from the Humane Society last week and, according to it's records, it has received 3 de-worming treatments. It now appears the kitten has worms. :frown: They are closed today but I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out if I can bring him in for treatment. Either that or we're off to our vet. Is it normal for them to get worms even though they've been treated multiple times? I'm also concerned because the new kitten and my indoor cat have been eating each other's food and sharing water before my discovery. I plan on taking my older cat in anyway for a checkup after the kitten goes but should I quarantine the kitten until he's treated?

yes they can still have worms. It depends on if they were able to catch the cylce of the eggs at the right time. This is why you should always recheck a stool sample so many days after treatment.

also... what kind of worms did you see. There is ONE type of worm that is not covered under the "basic" treatment. and they may have never known the kitten had this worm. (explain more later)

eating and drinking from the same dish is not how they will pass worms to each other.... (most worms) its the litter box.

and depending on the type of worm... they both should be treated

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The one I saw was white and small, at least the part I could see. We gave kitten his own litterbox and I am reasonably sure they are not sharing.

rabbithead

The one I saw was white and small, at least the part I could see. We gave kitten his own litterbox and I am reasonably sure they are not sharing.

Sounds like a tapeworm segment. They usually get tapeworms from eating rodents or if they had fleas. Needs to be dewormed with Praziquantel.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
like a grain of rice??

No, more like a tiny white inchworm if you can imagine it. Humane society can't do anything since it's been over a week since adoption. I just noticed it Sunday and they were closed yesterday, so it looks like we're off to the vet. :(

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Poor baby! How did the visit with the Vet go? Get Well Wishes to your baby!

Thanks for asking! The visit went okay. Kitten got another de-wormer and has a respiratory infection so we got treatment for that as well. He doesn't act like he's feeling poorly, but he's quarantined in our house until further notice. Vet also found a flea which could explain the tapeworm so I guess we'll be treating both cats for that now too. Have nearly lost limbs giving flea baths before and it didn't work so rather than go through that trauma again I will apply some heavy-duty, industrial strength flea treatment and hope for the best!

Thanks for asking! The visit went okay. Kitten got another de-wormer and has a respiratory infection so we got treatment for that as well. He doesn't act like he's feeling poorly, but he's quarantined in our house until further notice. Vet also found a flea which could explain the tapeworm so I guess we'll be treating both cats for that now too. Have nearly lost limbs giving flea baths before and it didn't work so rather than go through that trauma again I will apply some heavy-duty, industrial strength flea treatment and hope for the best!

Same thing with my kitten last year when I got her. Upper respiratory can turn nasty if not caught in time. She did end up giving it to our older cat, who months later ended up with a very bad cough, with blood. He is ok now, but very very contagious. Well Pet Clinic took care of the kitten for free since she came from there a week prior.