Worse than Scandal

SamSpade

I've hinted at this, but never crystallized it as well as this article does - we see that Biden's holding of classified documents proves a number of problems for the Democratic Party. One is that their cherished narrative about Trump being a crook with all that stuff at Mar-A-Lago is now blown to hell, and they are forced to back pedal and try and claim that, oh, JOE'S possession is minor but TRUMP'S is worse. It's not flying even with the more liberal media. This is probably because they sense a loser in Joe, and this is blood in the water for journalist sharks.

Another is it could very well point to outright corruption on behalf of the entire Biden family. The way our media coddles Democrats, I don't even see the Bidens paying a price for that even if demented Joe in a rare fit of enfeebled honesty comes right out and says "of COURSE we got paid off by the Chinese, what else did you guys think?".

It's THIS - -

The bigger issue here actually goes beyond the Biden and Trump documents. What’s disturbing is how government agencies so easily can use technicalities in the law to selectively go after those they don’t like.

As political scientist Charles Murray noted on Twitter, mass overclassification of government documents means presidents generally could be in violation of the law. Lavrentiy Beria, Soviet dictator Josef Stalin’s notorious head of the secret police, once said, “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime.” It feels like that’s where we are headed.

Can we trust our now supremely powerful federal agencies to act faithfully and objectively within the law? Can we trust them not to target ordinary people, politicians, and even presidents who cross them and go soft on ones that do their bidding?

This issue has grown alongside the massive expansion of the administrative state. That massive bureaucracy may now act as if it is the law unto itself. Who is sovereign in America today? Is it “We the people,” or is it bureaucrats untethered from accountability?

NOW I've mentioned many times, that the most dangerous part of another issue - term limits - is that permanent, unelected strata of bureaucrats would have almost total sway over the legislative process in Washington, and the ONLY control we have is, which favored party has the gavel. I AM in favor of term limits, having dispensed with the idea that the voting process does that (when you have a public disgusted with Congress but somehow nevertheless re-elects the vast majority of them, it means incumbents have too big advantage your dojo).

What we may have is a vast government eventually becoming accountable to NO ONE. Much worse than any single person's corruption.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NOW I've mentioned many times, that the most dangerous part of another issue - term limits - is that permanent, unelected strata of bureaucrats would have almost total sway over the legislative process in Washington, and the ONLY control we have is, which favored party has the gavel. I AM in favor of term limits, having dispensed with the idea that the voting process does that (when you have a public disgusted with Congress but somehow nevertheless re-elects the vast majority of them, it means incumbents have too big advantage your dojo).

The real issue has little to do with the congress critter in the chair, but the staff .... no politician is going to read a 1000 page bill, let aloner a 2 or 3 hundred page bill ... the staff does and tells [ or recomends ] the politician how to vote

SamSpade

The real issue has little to do with the congress critter in the chair, but the staff .... no politician is going to read a 1000 page bill, let aloner a 2 or 3 hundred page bill ... the staff does and tells [ or recomends ] the politician how to vote
And as I understand it - the staff typically remains in Washington when the member exits office. Making THEM the power.

I'm in favor of term limits if the staff must also be new - that the member may not hire the old staff.

TPD

the poor dad
I just had this conversation with a customer last week - term limits for elected politicians AND staff!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What we may have is a vast government eventually becoming accountable to NO ONE. Much worse than any single person's corruption.

That sounds exactly like what we have. And well over half this country doesn't care, and half of them actively want it that way.

"The People have spoken, the bastards."

SamSpade

I agree, but Congresscreeps aren't going to vote themselves out of a job.
Ted Cruz introduced a term limit bill last week, or rather, an amendment to the Constitution.
It has 11 co-sponsors.

Admittedly - this is his fourth time trying to pass this bill. Getting an amendment to the Constitution is a high bar to pass -
Two-thirds of each chamber, and three fourths of the States.

So yeah, not likely, but not completely unpopular even in Congress.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ted Cruz introduced a term limit bill last week, or rather, an amendment to the Constitution.
It has 11 co-sponsors.

Admittedly - this is his fourth time trying to pass this bill. Getting an amendment to the Constitution is a high bar to pass -
Two-thirds of each chamber, and three fourths of the States.

So yeah, not likely, but not completely unpopular even in Congress.

Cruz knows it will never pass. Like ever. So he can get credit for trying, while knowing it will never happen. Perhaps he does have integrity and just wants to shine a light on the lifers, but....he's a politician....so I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

IF they really meant it, they'd lead by example and bow out after two or whatever terms. But they don't do that because all they'd do is screw themselves.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Cruz knows it will never pass. Like ever. So he can get credit for trying, while knowing it will never happen. Perhaps he does have integrity and just wants to shine a light on the lifers, but....he's a politician....so I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

IF they really meant it, they'd lead by example and bow out after two or whatever terms. But they don't do that because all they'd do is screw themselves.
If he ever gets the votes for a constitutional convention there’s going to be a lot of amendments put forth. Be careful what you ask for because just about anything can make the list, think abortion rights or gun restrictions. All it would take is a bunch of people wanting to make a name for themselves.

WingsOfGold

And if he did a few years ago it would have been Sen Robert O'Rourke. Not disagreeing with you but even a feeble attempt is better than none. Who knows it could catch on.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Trump classified docs = bad - Biden classified doc = good
Trump kids capitalizing on the elected position = bad - Biden's kid capitalizing on the elected position = good
Trump illegal minor cages = bad - obama illegal minor cages = good
Covid deaths under Trunmp = bad - covid deaths under biden = good
Trump struggling to walk on a slippery path = bad - biden falling up the steps 3 times = good

If you look closely, it's easy to see a pattern if you have an open mind and use logic. If not, it just means that Trump is a nazi & a fascist and if you disagree you must be a racist and WS.

herb749

You do know there will be a special grandfather clause to cover those already in Congress. Any change will only effect the newly elected.