Worst browser

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I too am Firefox, but I use a different browser for work stuff so my cookies and logins are separate.

What do we think of Chrome?

TCROW

Well Edge will essentially be Chrome soon enough; they are moving to google’s open source chromium code base for the rendering engine. I think you can actually get it now, you just have to go out of your way to get it. It’ll be the default soon.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Opera.

I don't have a choice: I'm built in as a script.

--- End of line (MCP)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The following are all based on the open source Chromium:
  1. Google Chrome
  2. Opera
  3. Vivaldi
  4. Brave
Not sure about #2-#4, but Google Chrome does (or at least did) report every URL you visit back to their servers, I presume for the primary purpose of making sure they index very possible part of the net that they can. However, knowing the way things work, I suspect they probably do more than that with the data.

How do I know? I was developing a test script years ago. I use certain browsers for specific purposes. I was using Google Chrome for testing. A few weeks later, the test scripts started showing up in Google Search (not sure if I got a Google alert or found it during a normal search). The script was buried 4 levels down and there were absolutely no links to it any where. It was also a T&E server, so there was no sitemap script running to feed the Google. Other online developers confirmed my conclusion.

Of course, Windows 10 also has telemetry built into the OS and one of the things they report back to Microsoft is the URLs you visit. I'm not sure if they do it just for Edge or any and all outbound http traffic. I do know that there are registry settings buried deep down that allow you to disable it. The easy way to minimize Window 10's spying is to get the ShutUp10 Utility and run it.

I suspect that Firefox is the most privacy friendly browser, but I can't prove it.

Last edited:

Yooper

I use Opera (if only for the built-in VPN feature) and DuckDuckGo. Given that my IT knowledge is now hopelessly out of date maybe these are great choices....

--- End of line (MCP)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I like Opera and Vivaldi best. Uninstalled all copies of Google Chrome everywhere. I used to like Firefox best, but there for awhile they were the slowest in the pack and I switched away and just never went back after they fixed the problem. Still use Firefox for many admin/financial tasks. I'll use Microsoft Edge on the rare occasion that i need to pop up a browser that doesn't have a bunch of stored logins and cookies. After many years of dealing with MSIE browser compatibility issues from a SiteOp standpoint, I don't care if they start shooting cookies out of their ass, not going to use it mainstream.

I like, and have been using Firefox for years. I like the incognito mode for suspect websites. But a few revisions ago it started to become a memory hog and it's causing major slowdowns. Not uncommon to launch Task Manager and kill all the FireFox processes to clean it up.

Yooper

I like, and have been using Firefox for years. I like the incognito mode for suspect websites. But a few revisions ago it started to become a memory hog and it's causing major slowdowns. Not uncommon to launch Task Manager and kill all the FireFox processes to clean it up.
Reason Firefox is my distant second choice. I have a very "powerful" laptop and if I leave Firefox open it essentially kills the machine.

Does have a number of great add-ons (which is why I keep it around).

--- End of line (MCP)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
if only for the built-in VPN feature
If Microsoft is spying on what you do at the OS level, no VPN in the world is going to protect you.

If you're running WIN10, be sure to get ShutUp10. Windows 10 is the best OS they've ever released, too bad they had to tarnish it with all of the spyware. Not long after the WIN10 rollout, there was some Microsoft big shot running his mouth about all of the great "telemetry" they were now getting and how they now know so much about their users (which is most people in the first world)

Last edited: