Would You Call 911 For This?

TPD

the poor dad
It amazes me the things that people call 911 for. I don’t have it in me to call 911 for an animal rescue. That’s on me on my dime In my opinion. You shoot the damn thing or you get it unstuck yourself. That would be like me calling 911 because my combine (my pet) got mired in the swamp because I was watching YouTube and didn’t turn around on the end of the field quick enough.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm a big believer in self-sufficiency and 'take care of your own problems' kind of person, but in this case, yes, I'd call. They can quickly assemble any physical manpower needed, any heavy equipment for lifting, get any specialty groups involved, like a vet with tranquilizers, if needed, which I wouldn't have.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Don't think I'd call 911, but maybe the non- emergency number if I'd already tried everything I could on my own and couldn't get it out.
I'd agree with that. But the last 2 times I called the non-emergency number, it got transferred to the 911 call center anyway. That was a while ago, maybe they've changed it.

Reactions: BOP

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I'm a big believer in self-sufficiency and 'take care of your own problems' kind of person, but in this case, yes, I'd call. They can quickly assemble any physical manpower needed, any heavy equipment for lifting, get any specialty groups involved, like a vet with tranquilizers, if needed, which I wouldn't have.
I agree. This seemed like a terrible situation and I imagine the horse was already panicked. It could have gone really bad.

3CATSAILOR

It amazes me the things that people call 911 for. I don’t have it in me to call 911 for an animal rescue. That’s on me on my dime In my opinion. You shoot the damn thing or you get it unstuck yourself. That would be like me calling 911 because my combine (my pet) got mired in the swamp because I was watching YouTube and didn’t turn around on the end of the field quick enough.
The 911 Center has a Computer Data Base with a wide range of emergency contacts to include animal rescue.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Have to agree with @TPD. That horse was in no danger, in an empty pool. All the owner's had to do, but were too lazy, was to remove the pool cover and straps while at the same time with someone standing with the horse to keep it calm and reassured and walk the horse out. And what horse owner does not know how to put a bridle on their own horse? Leave it to firemen and animal control, WTF? As you can see in the pictures, it is evident they were so stupid that instead of removing the cover and straps, they instead walked the horse under each strap to the steps. Bunch of idiots. Want to "save" the horse ASAP? Quickly remove the damn barriers impeding the horse. Cut those straps immediately and open up the entire area to give the horse some space.

Had a friend that had a horse that got itself wrapped around some old forgotten about fencing wire that was off a field and in the tree line. The horse was in distress, down on the ground and panicking. No one freaked out and called 911. Instead, someone stayed with the horse to keep it calm so it wouldn't hurt itself struggling, the owner ran to get wire cutters, and the horse was freed and was fine afterwards.

What this does is take EMS away from far more important emergency calls, and is a waste of resources.

In addition, those owners should be cited for not having a fence around their pool, and for animal abuse. Effing idiots.

Bann

Have to agree with @TPD. That horse was in no danger, in an empty pool. All the owner's had to do, but were too lazy, was to remove the pool cover and straps while at the same time with someone standing with the horse to keep it calm and reassured and walk the horse out. And what horse owner does not know how to put a bridle on their own horse? Leave it to firemen and animal control, WTF? As you can see in the pictures, it is evident they were so stupid that instead of removing the cover and straps, they instead walked the horse under each strap to the steps. Bunch of idiots. Want to "save" the horse ASAP? Quickly remove the damn barriers impeding the horse. Cut those straps immediately and open up the entire area to give the horse some space.

Had a friend that had a horse that got itself wrapped around some old forgotten about fencing wire that was off a field and in the tree line. The horse was in distress, down on the ground and panicking. No one freaked out and called 911. Instead, someone stayed with the horse to keep it calm so it wouldn't hurt itself struggling, the owner ran to get wire cutters, and the horse was freed and was fine afterwards.

What this does is take EMS away from far more important emergency calls, and is a waste of resources.

In addition, those owners should be cited for not having a fence around their pool, and for animal abuse. Effing idiots.
There seems to be a lot more information to this story than you actually know, and that the story doesn't cover.

The homeowner who called the FD was not the owner of the horse. The horse's owner (had begun reporting her horse as missing on Social Media, as well) happened to be new to the county.

Some details are available on the Huntingtown Information FB page, and the Animal Shelter FB Page, if anyone's interested in more of the details. The Huntingtown page is a neighborhood page, and you need to join it to read the comments.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

There seems to be a lot more information to this story than you actually know, and that the story doesn't cover.

The homeowner who called the FD was not the owner of the horse. The horse's owner (had begun reporting her horse as missing on Social Media, as well) happened to be new to the county.

Some details are available on the Huntingtown Information FB page, and the Animal Shelter FB Page, if anyone's interested in more of the details. The Huntingtown page is a neighborhood page, and you need to join it to read the comments.

Well then, animal control and EMS are idiots for not cutting those pool cover straps immediately. That horse could have easily spooked and injured itself as they were making it go under those straps and cover.

I still stand by my earlier statement that those pool owners should have had a fence around that in-ground pool, and should be cited.

Bann

Well then, animal control and EMS are idiots for not cutting those pool cover straps immediately. That horse could have easily spooked and injured itself as they were making it go under those straps and cover.

I still stand by my earlier statement that those pool owners should have had a fence around that in-ground pool, and should be cited.
Ok. Seems like you're the expert on all things, so go on with your bad self! :high5:

SamSpade

I don't remember who we called, but once we had a deer hopelessly jammed in our fence. We were leaving on vacation, but we couldn't let the thing die. Turned out, it had smashed its hips trying to break free, so even if they had let it out, it would have been paralyzed - and they put it down.

I did have a friend who once called 911 because he was out of beer.

phreddyp

I don't remember who we called, but once we had a deer hopelessly jammed in our fence. We were leaving on vacation, but we couldn't let the thing die. Turned out, it had smashed its hips trying to break free, so even if they had let it out, it would have been paralyzed - and they put it down.

I did have a friend who once called 911 because he was out of beer.
I knew someone who called because he wanted a Coca Cola, true.

SamSpade

I knew someone who called because he wanted a Coca Cola, true.
To be fair to my friend - or maybe, not so much - he did it because he was blazing drunk.

I've known people to call over stupid ass things, like being locked out of their car.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Without going into the weeds here, I'd have to give it a try first, but I'd have no issue calling 911

Clem72

We don't live in a busy city center where 911 operators are overloaded with stroke and gunshot calls. This seems important enough to call, and if the old guy whose foot has been slowly rotting for 6 years decides today is the day to go to the emergency room he can wait 5 more minutes (I don't know the exact stats, but I would bet 95% of our EMS calls are not even remotely emergency in nature. Just people that want a ride to the hospital, or maybe just to leonardtown and they don't want to catch the bus).

DannyMotorcycle

Is it a legal requirement to have a fence? Why a fence? why not a wall? why not a building? after all any animal could fall in after jumping a fence or wall..
I think it's great that we get to demand the safety standards on other people's property...

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Is it a legal requirement to have a fence? Why a fence? why not a wall? why not a building? after all any animal could fall in after jumping a fence or wall..
I think it's great that we get to demand the safety standards on other people's property...

Yup. Sure is. And it's not for the safety of animals. It's for the safely of people, especially children from accidentally drowning, or falling into an empty pool.